Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2016/2017 (Cold Front May 7th Snow Sunday)

Poster: A snowHead
@ulmerhutte

FYI. Oberlech Tunnel System (Guests Luggage)

http://youtube.com/v/LP8B77U6Vro

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 20-10-16 12:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thinking of doing a late February / early March 2017 trip to St Anton... The long range forecasts suggest that westerly winds and a dominant westerly storm track will once again dominate this coming winter. With a predominantly westerly influence and warmer air being pulled in from the Atlantic, how will the snowfall be influenced? Also as I understand St Anton is often influenced by prolonged periods of Foehn winds, which warm up the area significantly. Is this something to be worried about or can St Anton (the Arlberg area in general) handle this sort of weather pattern due to its altitude and unique location in the Alps?

I have done 3 ski trips to the eastern Alps (Ski-Welt / Ellmau) and on two previous occasions the snow cover was limited due to weak snow falls and prolonged warm periods. This year we had +17 in the valley in Ellmau during the last week of January.

I skied ST Anton mid January 2015 and it was brilliant, but then again the dominant storm track was from the North-West.

Any advice / re-assurance would be great.

Thanks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Don87,
You are definitely overanalyzing this.
Long range forecasts: there is no such thing
West-circulation: good for Arlberg, lots of snow
Temperatures: nobody knows. But Austrian Alps are cooler than French Alps, and Arlberg has a microclimate that is even slightly cooler
Föhn: Arlberg not extra influenced (Föhn = Southern winds coming over the Alps. All of the Northern Alps are influenced, with indeed some spots more than others (but not Arlberg). And with Föhn Arlberg (1300 m-2650 m) definitely is a better place than low Ellmau (800-1800 m.)e.g.)
End feb/early March: best time for snow/sun/good temperatures. If snow is poor end februari around Arlberg, we need to seriously start worry about wintersports in The Alps in general
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I have done 3 ski trips to the eastern Alps (Ski-Welt / Ellmau) and on two previous occasions the snow cover was limited due to weak snow falls and prolonged warm periods.

Never skied Ski-Welt itself, but I have skied Kitzbuehel, Fieberbrunn and the Zillertal. I'd say the Arlberg gets more snow and retains more snow than these areas.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Langerzug, Hahaha, thanks for the info. When your currency is R16 to the Euro and you only get to ski 1 week a year, you need to over analyze Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sah, I have also done Kitzbuhel, but only for the day though. The skiing was good but found it to be a tad crowded towards the end of the day, but that's pretty normal I guess. Apart from the snow reliability on occasion I can definitely recommend Ellmau, and hotel Hochfilzer specifically. It is a fantastic area with a lot of variety. I absolutely love the place. But like I mentioned, with an exchange rate of 16:1 and only 1 week a year available, I need to be sure about the resort I pick.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Don87,
For absolutely the best snow conditions in Austria end february/early March, without Föhn, probably Obergurgl is your best option
(But I'm heading for Arlberg first week March, as usual Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Don87, The Arlberg is on a special weather Axis.
The biggest dumps come from systems from the West dumping mostly on the western flank (Stuben,Sonnenkopf, Lech, Zurs,Warth). St Anton gets the fallout from this. The frequent North Easterly cold fronts keeps the snowpak solid for months. Then of course the altitude of the Arlberg is a lot higher than the Kitzbuhel,Ziller etc.

and sometime mega storms like Hurricane Andrea in January 2012

http://youtube.com/v/HOVb3GXl8Iw

always worth reposting this one ...novel use of Apache Helicopter to blow the now of the trees to stop them falling down. It was a changeover day & took 3 days for folks to get out of town ....haha

http://youtube.com/v/EeGar51WLkI
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
British Millionare Bankruptcy

The Story deepens...sounds a bit of dirty money ??

Three potential buyers. An Austrian entrepreneur, a German & investment group from Zurich have shown interest.

According to this the invested money & personal money from Mr Flowers the claims & mass costs simply do not add up!!

He paid €25M but the administrator says its clearly below €20M

http://www.vorarlbergernachrichten.at/markt/2016/10/18/endspurt-um-lecher-blumen-haus.vn#registered
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
New Heli Port/House In Zurs

https://www.austrianwings.info/2016/09/wucher-helicopter-neues-zuhause-fuer-gallus-1-in-zuers-entsteht/

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Warth. Speichersee Snowmaking Reservoir Construction

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
New Fotos over here Albonbahn & Flexenbahn Valley Station

http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=55617&start=425#p5091110
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

http://youtube.com/v/G-NjpoUc6wE
snow report
I'm not sure the boot pack is worth it, after all the "hype" of Valluga I didn't think it was anywhere near the best the region has to offer in terms of off-piste skiing. Good job he had someone with him in case of getting into difficulty!!
latest report
@kitenski, Its a tourist route.

The bootpack is to avoid the guide fees.
snow conditions
@stanton, Smile
snow report
Quote:

Good job he had someone with him in case of getting into difficulty!!

That "someone" would not have been very helpfull when a 700 meter avalanche would occur. (like last season, killing 2)
"it's just a tourist route"........ ("I'm too sexy for this route, too sexy for this route.....")
snow conditions
@Langerzug, You got to Earn your Turns ! No lifts.. Hike/Skin & Turns Very Happy
latest report
@Langerzug, that was sarcasm as he was clearly skiing alone!
snow report
@kitenski,
Thought you were referring to the cameraman Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@Langerzug, yeh I was but jokingly that the cameraman was useless as you well state if there had been an incident!
snow report
@kitenski, It was already well skied out, compact base, late in the season . nothing fresh in there. As I said Tourist Route Happy
snow report
@stanton, Might be, but on the other hand the accident that happened (with the aforementioned 700 m avalanche), and another major one with casualties in Lech, both last year, were both with professional, very experienced guides.....
snow report
stanton wrote:
@kitenski, It was already well skied out, compact base, late in the season . nothing fresh in there. As I said Tourist Route Happy

none of which would matter if he had an equipment failure, caught an edge and slid into a rock and hurt himself badly etc etc
ski holidays
Lets not get into an argument about skiing solo. I think we are all aware it carries more inherent risk, but that it can be done safely and enjoyably if you have the skills. As @Langerzug points out guides are by no means infallible, and in the case of a 700m avalanche there (unlikely as it seems in the conditions!) you'd be dead with or without rescue anyway.
snow conditions
@clarky999, Very Happy Very Happy

One of St Antons most famous guides was swept away in the Maroi a few seasons back; there been others too..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This quote may well be lost on some younger readers......

Well, do you want to have the full argument, or were you thinking of taking a course?
snow report
stanton wrote:
@kitenski, Its a tourist route.

The bootpack is to avoid the guide fees.

Wouldn't it be more of a local's route? I mean, if you are a local, why would you need a guide? Or do the locals just mosey on up to the lift, and hop on the Valuga, probably because they are already know the guides/lift operators?
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@clarky999, Very Happy Very Happy

One of St Antons most famous guides was swept away in the Maroi a few seasons back; there been others too..

I was in Lech when that went down. There were some surprisingly risky, or ignorant skiing going on that week. Hard to say when you see who's going off-piste w/o any avy gear thinking everything is going to be just fine.
latest report
@kitenski, Laughing

"Look I've told you once..."
"No you haven't!"
"yes i have!"
latest report
So when's the snow due, its very mild at the moment?

I saw something on a Powder alert from a US FB site (Morris I think it was) the other day that Arlberg will be enjoying 45-50cm of fresh by end of first week in November, there's apparently big dumps due in eastern Alps in next week or 2, any truth in that?
snow conditions
@Markymark29, yes, Morris is getting very excited about a possible Nordstau: http://wepowder.com/

I'm not so sure it would be a good thing, big early season dumps mean a large(ish) snow pack on warm ground... If we then get cold nights there's a big temp gradient and so lot of transformation at the ground level which leaves a layer of depth hoar until March... Much better would be to get the cooling first, then some snow. Obviously you'll never get away from temp gradients in the early season, the ground is always warmer than the air in the coldest part of the season, and the snow pack is not deep enough, but anecdotally the snow pack always seems to me to be more stable when fresh snow falls on frozen ground.
snow report
wepowder is Dutch isn't it not US? but yes @sah, didn't we get those horrible "back to bare ground" slides in March/April a few years back after early snow? Even the north faces in Stuben had gone when we arrived for Easter that year.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
wepowder is Dutch isn't it not US? but yes @sah, didn't we get those horrible "back to bare ground" slides in March/April a few years back after early snow? Even the north faces in Stuben had gone when we arrived for Easter that year.

Morris is Dutch, but I think Salomon have an app that uses his feed???
ski holidays
WeatherOnline is also showing a pretty good amount of snow for early November.
latest report
@sah, @kitenski, Agreed super cold nights then gradual build up is best, hence my question I'm hoping it'll cool down significantly before they see big dumps.

@kitenski,
Quote:

Even the north faces in Stuben had gone when we arrived for Easter that year.

When was that then? Its been snowy every late season I've been there, north facing Stuben holds the snow as well as anywhere in Arlberg ime, when was Easter that year June? wink

I agree south facing grassy slopes like Maienplatt, Schindlerhanger and Kapall are risky late season and when there's early deep dumps particularly so but never seen Stuben North Face as a problem late season.
snow report
@stanton, I see your photos above regards the Warth reservoir for the snowmaking water storage, OK its not pretty right now but I'm sure they'll landscape it properly as they reinstate the ground after lining it. So, assuming it'll be complete for the upcoming season will Warth have snow cannons from coming 16/17 season or the one after? Whilst Warth natural snow is awesome, some of the Lech facing southern slopes around the Auenfeldjet can get slushy later in the season.

I'll have to curtail my off-piste activities around there, could get a nasty shock landing in the new reservoir! Great skiing in Warth, love the place.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, I'm guessing at 2014, I didn't go off piste at all that week. When I say "gone" I mean they had all avalanched down to bare ground Sad Even the well skied areas directly above Stuben

Found old pics here showing how poor the snow was that year (but still had a great week piste skiing)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy