Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2016/2017 (Cold Front May 7th Snow Sunday)

Poster: A snowHead
@Langerzug, If I was looking to stay in Lech then Stubenbach where I'd choose to stay, its a nice unspoilt village imo, regular buses.....seems OK to me.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Markymark29, You might like it, but it is no place for a hotel that claims to be top-luxury. You know the saying: "location, location, location". Stubenbach is far from Lech, and has no facilities at all. And the views are not as good as in Lech in either.
Fairly recently two other 5***** accomodations have been built by millionaires in Lech (Hotel Aurelio, Oleg Deripaska) and Chalet N by René Banko (Austrian project-developer). Both are in true 5***** locations.
Mr. Flowers is not.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Langerzug, ah well, it's a tough gig.....I guess most people who build hotels anywhere in the Alps never mind Lech must be millionaires!

These guys building in Stubenbach are probably buying at sensible money (compared with Lech) and speculating on their chosen village becoming the next big thing. It's not all about the here and now, and the glitterati is it? Like I said Lech does nothing for me, surrounded by Russians, nannies and Chicy-Mickys isn't my type of thing. I ski through it but that's about it, prefer St Anton, Stuben, Zurs and Warth skiing and villages.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29,
Think you are a bit tendentious here
The Russians are gone for some years already (and actually have never been very evident). And the largest part of the Lech guests are decent Austrians and Germans, coming for the beauty of the place, and the excellent snow, both on and off-piste. Lech is no St.Moritz or Courchevel, it is still a very serious skiing place.
And Zürs-skiing=Lech-skiing and viceversa.
You can't be seriously saying you prefer Zürs village over Lech village
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Langerzug, I don't disagree with your point regards the skiing, fantastic including the off piste. I don't doubt they are decent people, that was not my point. My point was about the wealth and glitzy nature of many of the people, I'm not against them and am certainly not jealous, just don't particularly want to stay amongst them. Drop into Lech at 11.30-12.00 on a sunny day and try to get back up the mountain quickly towards Oberlech without getting caught in the leopardskin, Bogner set mooching up the hill after a long breakfast, its serious skiing time wasted, but people watching can be fun I guess.....as I say its an awesome ski region, imo though the people are different to the rest of Arlberg, you must agree surely?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Langerzug, Lech skiing awesome btw, no offence, was merely an observation.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Langerzug, Russians gone??

Not during Russian Week FYI is January 1st to 7th 2017.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stanton, Unglaublich, the speed and quality of construction is seriously impressive!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markymark29 wrote:
imo though the people are different to the rest of Arlberg, you must agree surely?

This is very True.

As far as the Transient Skiing/snowboarding with the new Lift I really cannot see there being much difference (Except Albona). Folk in Lech very rarely venture out of Lech. It is mostly Skiers from St Anton flocking over to Lech & Zurs to see how the other half live so to speak. Warth/Schroken is just a bonus but TBH if your based/vacationing in St Anton why spend all day on lifts when you can be skiing steep & deep in St Anton ??

Stuben Albona
A Lot of folk were put off ascending Albona due to the Cold North Face & slow 2 man chairs. I expect that to change & we will see a lot more people heading up there. I really hope they do not start try to descend the Maroi or to Langen by themselves Skullie Skullie

For sure there will be a New Restaurant at the Summit of Albona & I would be not surprised to see it season 2017/18
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stanton, @Markymark29,
Of course it is clear Lech (and Zürs as well, or even more) attracts a different clientele. Yet still the atmosphere in Lech is sportier, more skiing focused, and not so bling-bling as in St.Moritz, Courchevel etc.
And yes, I've heard about the Russian week in January, but never experienced it. But know for sure it is the same in Ischgl and other prominent resorts in The Alps...
It is also a public secret that many people go to St.Anton on their first Arlberg holiday, quickly switching for Lech in the following year (if you can do without the apres of course)
And yes, getting to Warth from St.Anton is a stretch, but I don't have to tell you guys that the L-Z-W snowfalls are better, and remain unspoiled much longer (gonna change though from December 2.....)
And well, having a good (and quiet!) lunch in Lech is much easier than in St.Anton

The new connection might bring some fundamental changes to the Arlberg anyway: Actually Lech-village is now better connected to the whole area than St.Anton-village. But of course the big changes are gonna be in Zürs and Stuben, being so central. They will surely see some good times coming, which actually is necessary for Zürs, as the hotels were suffering a bit the last few years (occupation rates in Lech are much better than in Zürs)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 10-10-16 11:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Langerzug, It's all good skiing (well better than good, fantastic I'd say!). We stay one week now every year in Warth and that for me is one of the highlights of the season, being able to dip in and out of Lech and ski back over offpiste from top of Lech, dropping in under the Auenfeldjet lift is just great......we tend to stay high and avoid going down below Oberlech though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, I'm guessing the middle-station Albona self-service is going to be hideously busy until another place is built?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Markymark29
Quote:

we tend to stay high and avoid going down below Oberlech though.

That's a pity. The view from Schlegelkopf first thing in the morning stays unbeatable (also in season, with a perfect carpet in front of you Very Happy check the videodate)

http://youtube.com/v/ZnrjeIxXyUE

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
@Dr John, Normally is busy anyway, ski schools use the rooms etc. We tend to drop down to Stuben if its rammed. I hope any new place doesn't leave the mid station restaurant exposed, its a great place for a bowl of Gulaschsuppe!
snow conditions
Dr John wrote:
@stanton, I'm guessing the middle-station Albona self-service is going to be hideously busy until another place is built?

not at 11:00 am !! If your there later than that you have missed all the empty slopes & POW !!
latest report
@Markymark29, as long as my favourite lunch spot, Berghaus Stuben, doesn't get completely crowded out as a result...
latest report
@Dr John, yep, good there. Murmele for us, but they weren't doing food last season which was a pain, hopefully will do next season.@stanton, agreed 11am not the time for being sat inside!
snow conditions
Watched "Passenger" ski movie on Red Bull TV again last night, some great aerial footage of Stuben north face/ Kaltenberghutte and also Zurs. Not a big fan of park skiing (because I'm too old I guess) but I really like this movie in this respect, quickly moves away from all the urban handrail slide stuff and into proper big mountain jumps, culminating in the crazy stunt at the end where there's guys flying in all directions at Stubai, very clever.
ski holidays
@Langerzug, Nice.....you might have just changed my mind! Cheers Toofy Grin
snow report
@Markymark29, See you out there. I used to stay in the Gotthard but that's now 'two deer' so I'm in the Bergheim up the road.

I will be the one (surely the ONLY one) pootering around the carpets on punter slalom skis and without a) Avipack, b) Bognerwear or c) helmet.

Gnarly to me is taking an hour to get down from the MadLochJoch to Zug (sp)

Feel free to claim your 5€ if you spot me - I'm just about still good for it. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

But of course the big changes are gonna be in Zürs and Stuben, being so central. They will surely see some good times coming

Prices in Stuben seem to be going up already Sad
latest report
st anton first snow to lower levels, still a bit wet.
ski holidays
some new Fotos over here

http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=55617&start=400#p5089616
snow report
Oberlechbahn Cabins have arrived

http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=55617&start=400#p5089870
snow report
I must confess that I still cannot see the imperative for replacing the Oberlechbahn. I rarely waited even for second cable car - most times straight onto the next car. So, hard to believe capacity being the issue? Old infrastructure shot? Maybe? Increased comfort for the Oberlechians? Possible.

Lifts that could do with greater capacity IMHO: Seekopfbahn/Zurserseebahn, Ruffikopf, and Madlochbahn (but that would need to be done with some piste mods to get rid of the choke points down to Zug).
snow report
@ulmerhutte,
You have clearly been missing the essential function of the Oberlechbahn: bringing and returning guests+luggage to carfree Oberlech. Imagine that on a Saturday....

Rüfikopfbahn: There is only some waiting in the morning, and never really bad. Max 20 minutes.
On top of that: as it is a "Pendelbahn", instead of a "Umlaufseilbahn" there will always be some waiting involved, and the ride itself is very fast. There is also some psychology involved here...
And please no ugly Galzigbahn with huge number of huge pylons up on the Rüfikopf.

Modifying the Madlochpiste....eeeeh easier said than done.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Langerzug, 20 mins wait is 19 too long for me😜
snow conditions
@Markymark29,
Whilst when I'm looking at the new Trittkopfbahn I'm mainly seeing a detoriation, when coming from Zürs: the new lift is probably slower, and has a detour via the new Mittelstation on top of it!

I do agree that 20 minutes at any chairlift somewhere in the middle of the ski area is not acceptable, but I do not really mind with the first lift in the morning. There is something "traditional" about it. Toofy Grin
snow report
Langerzug wrote:
@ulmerhutte,
You have clearly been missing the essential function of the Oberlechbahn: bringing and returning guests+luggage to carfree Oberlech. Imagine that on a Saturday....

Agree that is probable, but never seen it. I suspect most Oberlechians arrive by helicopter, and only that way because the Lear or personal 777 struggles to land in Oberlech (in 1 piece). Toofy Grin
ski holidays

snow report
New Fotos over here.

Down to the building cosmetics..

http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=55617&start=400#p5090291
ski holidays
I'm looking to pick up a season pass for the Arlberg area, it is listed as 803 EUR on this website: http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/media/895/download/tarife-winter-2016-17-en.pdf?v=1&inline=1

Is there any early bird offer available? Just want to make sure I get the best price.
ski holidays
@rholligan, No is the Answer.
ski holidays
Warth.

Snowmaking, reservoir, pumping station fotos

https://www.facebook.com/464893310379899/photos/ms.c.eJw9yscNAEEIBMGMTrjB5J~;YSnDwLHU7EburKrjE5fOxESdK8jyd1~_EJQZ1zfjv3j~;ht2n9ijel0nq7rakc9ASUgHw~-~-.bps.a.578255685710327.1073741865.464893310379899/600166333519262/?type=3&theater
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@rholligan, No is the Answer.

Thanks.
snow report
@rholligan, Good try, I wondered this last year too.....I've got to buy two at Christmas, maybe they'll feel sorry for us with our £/€ post Brexit at the ski pass desk, more than likely not I suggest!

Worth every cent IMO, awesome lift system..... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Markymark29, going for a season pass again? With the €/£ I'd not even think about doing that for myself... I dread to think what a trip is going to cost this year. We're going self catering in Pettneu to save €s Happy
latest report
@sah, Yeah, 4 separate trips organised, it costs loads more if bought separate 7-10 day trips. I've budgeted on 1.1, I'm an optimist so as long as it goes back up to 1.2 by Xmas i'm happy. If it wasn't for the fact that I've booked all the flights, ferrys and tunnel crossings plus paid hotel deposits I might well have had second thoughts but it cant get any worse surely, even our stupid government of misfits and wets can't surely allow parity hopefully they will soon be intervening in the current mess!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy