Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2016/2017 (Cold Front May 7th Snow Sunday)

Poster: A snowHead
@stanton, ok you've convinced me, I'll get looking for flights! Walking and biking always good too! Early ski mornings, afternoons on terraces!! Missing it already....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its not possible to mountain bike or hike up (without skins)..
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Markymark29, I've never had a bad easter out there, you can ski the north facing slopes in the afternoons, I've often skied til 4pm most days.

pics here - http://greghilton.co.uk/easter-skiing-at-stuben/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kitenski, Agreed, its a nice time of year to ski, lovely weather generally. Been many time and more of a bonus time than serious skiing in my experience.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've had nice powder on many an April trip! Out in Iscghl myself 8th April this year!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone seen any cheap flights for Easter weekend? We've got an option on a room but flights are mad expensive, MAN/ MUC LH £555 for 2 which is more than I'm happy to pay, Swiss MAN/ ZHR same. Looking to go late Thursday/ very early Friday ideally Innsbruck, flying back late Easter Monday. Anyone seen anything? - happy to travel to SEast if necessary, northern LH/ Swiss flights are all daft prices. Monarch/ EJ/ Flybe all not working re times.

We have season passes so the idea of a chilled sunny skiing weekend is appealing but not at those prices! Before I put the gear away just one last hopeful request if anyone has any ideas/ recommendations. Please don't say car, done that 2x already this year, need flights.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Markymark29, out of town right now.

Try looking for Transavia flights to Innsbruck from NL
Maybe you can connect with a get a cheap flight from UK to NL
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Anyone seen any cheap flights for Easter weekend?

MAN- NUE for £99.99 return Thursday 1pm, land 4pm
Train from Nue to St Anton 18:19 arriving just before 11pm
Getting back's the tricky bit. You'd need to leave St Anton on the Sunday evening to get the return flight on the Monday. (Or Monday night for the Tuesday flight)
109 Euros for the train.

Not particularly stress free, but cheap and stress free seldom go together.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@TheGeneralist, Blimey that's a journey! Thanks never thought of flying to Nuernberg before.

Used to be flights to Friedrichshafen but cant see these anywhere.....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, it's a fair old trog, but perhaps not that much more than Munich if you're going by train.

We did it this year for half term and managed to Ski St Anton for the week for £550 each all in. (food, lift pass, ski carriage, petrol etc etc)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://youtube.com/v/UXFb5S_g2H8
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm in St Anton this week. Very warm and expected to get warmer. Avalanche risk is now at 1 / 2.

Spring conditions through out.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yesterday Afternoons Avalanche in Zurs

Moved the Piste, LOL

It was 430 meters long and 100 meters wide went off from the lower "Wildgrubenspitze" around 1.35 pm.

No one at risk.

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2831083/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now back a few days but had so much powder. The lift Albona 1 at Stuben is now infuriating (if you are staying that side) as you have to ski back down to Rauz to take the new gondola up. Noticeable is the amount of traffic coming down the pistes- luckily I don't need them! For the first time ever I saw moguls appearing on the slope before the bridge at Rauz, alot of ppl spoiling the schuss. Looking forward to the new @stanton, chair next year, it can't come soon enough!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We were in Stuben 10 days ago, great conditions. Yes, it is a bit slow that lift but Stuben is now two lifts away from either Zurs or St Anton so very handily placed I think. Will the new lift be a direct replacement?
ski holidays
Spinout wrote:
Now back a few days but had so much powder. The lift Albona 1 at Stuben is now infuriating (if you are staying that side) as you have to ski back down to Rauz to take the new gondola up. Noticeable is the amount of traffic coming down the pistes- luckily I don't need them! For the first time ever I saw moguls appearing on the slope before the bridge at Rauz, alot of ppl spoiling the schuss. Looking forward to the new @stanton, chair next year, it can't come soon enough!

Yup, the current config makes it hard to ski just the top half of Albona/Stüben. A local suggested that the old Albona 2 chair may be returned to service next year, at least temporarily. Wishful thinking?

I suspect that some rethinking of the pistes around Rauz and Flexenbahn will occur. In particular, the run down to Zürs from Mittelstation has become fairly treacherous - it was never designed to handle the volume of people now using it. Makes Steissbachtal (Happy Valley), at 3:30pm, seem like a sedate, deserted country lane by comparison. Actually, it too seemed a lot busier this year, as did everything else in StA, for the 4 weeks ending 5 March.

The mass of (in-)humanity at Nassereinbahn at opening time had to be seen to be believed. The number of people streaming in from Ost Terminal resembled the photos of the refugee hordes that were regularly published last European summer.
ski holidays
Re the above comments regards Albona - I actually feel a bit for the businesses in Stuben. They must have really been hit by the loss of passing trade/ lunch stops etc, we used to use it a lot and this season never went once, or even skied down, why would you now there's the fast Albona II lift? Sadly Albona is now much busier on pistes, needs a new on-hill restaurant, the old one half way down can't cope with increased volume of people. We were there quiet weeks, dread to think what it was like in kids holiday periods.

Another observation they need a larger/ quicker lift or preferably chair from bottom of Albona to get people up to Valfegehrbahn level, horrendous queues there. I was tempted to actually walk up the side of the T Bar on one occasion.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, @Markymark29, interesting comments, will be checking the situation out myself in 10 days. This won't stop me grabbing my favourite rosti at Berghause Stuben for lunch. I presume (hope) the queues at Albona 1 have reduced as a result of the new Albona lift?
ski holidays
Just back from a few awesome days in St Anton. Rendl as usual was nice and quiet. The new Flexenbahn has kinda fu**ed things up a bit. The queues in Zurs are the worse I've seen, especially at Madloch - not sure whether an upgrade on the 2 man chair would help or just increase the traffic further down into Zug (run was in great shape when we skied it Tuesday). As usual snow conditions best in Zurs and Stuben. Noticed how incredibly difficult it was to eat out in the evenings this year
snow conditions
@boabski, how would the new lifts affect the evening dining situation?
latest report
@Dr John, Does not at all. Just finished my post a bit promptly. In over 10 visits to the Arlberg, I have never had such difficulty in getting a seat in a restaurant at night - the town was so busy. Have also never had to queue so long in the Arlberg as I did at Madloch the other day - queuing has never really been an issue before.
snow report
@boabski, got you. Interesting, will see for myself v soon. Have chalet catering so will only test the restaurant scene one evening, same issue in the bars?

Queueing has never been an issue for me either in Arlberg, ultimate irony if €50m of new lifts results in larger queues. Don't they have traffic flow experts to study this stuff before they even break ground?
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
@ulmerhutte, @Markymark29, interesting comments, will be checking the situation out myself in 10 days. This won't stop me grabbing my favourite rosti at Berghause Stuben for lunch. I presume (hope) the queues at Albona 1 have reduced as a result of the new Albona lift?

As you would expect, the queues at Albona 1 were virtually nonexistent for most of the day. Berghaus was still great.

Dr John wrote:
Don't they have traffic flow experts to study this stuff before they even break ground?

Topic of much debate this year, with the consensus being "no".

boabski wrote:
The new Flexenbahn has kinda fu**ed things up a bit.

...and that also seemed to be the consensus view. Has not done me any favours.
ski holidays
The new Flexenbahn has definitely created more stress on Schindlerbahn and Arlenmahder, indeed last Tuesday as the area was re-opening after snow we queued for 40 minutes in the sun at Arlenmahder (Schindler closed), a real waste of powder time. Biggest queues I've ever seen, and a real PITA. Was tempted to walk down to the road it was that bad but was stuck in the crowd and couldn't get out. All went down to Rauz past Ulmerhutte (crazy busy on piste, stayed above in the barriers, awesome powder) and then 80/90% turned right and over to Zurs, Albona was pretty quiet especially the offpiste.

It seems there's a desire for everyone to go do the White Ring (especially sunny days), the new Flexenbahn has certainly been marketed well.

Went over to Zurs on Saturday, again a lovely sunny day, up Schindler early both sides and down to Rauz, up Trittkopf and I've never seen queues so big at Madlochbahn, we shot left and over Muggengratbahn empty lift, great empty slopes. The crowd certainly love the White Ring, best avoided imo.
latest report
Quote:

The crowd certainly love the White Ring, best avoided imo.

I agree 100% which is a great pity, as the run to Zug was amazing. Thankfully no busier than normal, probably because its only a 2 man chair to get to it. Anyway the band at griabli were rocking this year abd gunar still doing his excellent playlist, so alles gut
snow report
@boabski, good to hear re. Griabli, what time is the band on?
ski holidays
Monday around 5. Chris Lees playing with them. Great night and thibk we managed 60odd kaisers between 8 of us. That was a fun ski down in the slushy moguls Very Happy
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Re the above comments regards Albona - I actually feel a bit for the businesses in Stuben. They must have really been hit by the loss of passing trade/ lunch stops etc, we used to use it a lot and this season never went once, or even skied down, why would you now there's the fast Albona II lift? Sadly Albona is now much busier on pistes, needs a new on-hill restaurant, the old one half way down can't cope with increased volume of people. We were there quiet weeks, dread to think what it was like in kids holiday periods.

Another observation they need a larger/ quicker lift or preferably chair from bottom of Albona to get people up to Valfegehrbahn level, horrendous queues there. I was tempted to actually walk up the side of the T Bar on one occasion.

Lots of things are going to happen o Albona & Rauz.

New Lifts
New Pistes
New Restaurants
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Official Weather

The weekend will bring a change in weather, however, before that lots of sunshine is expected on Friday. A cold front will approach from north-west in the late afternoon. This front will bring some showers particularly to the northern edge of the Alps on Friday night. Lower temperatures are temporarily expected, the snow line will sink near 1500 m. At the weekend, our regions will be located behind this front in a very windy west- to north-westerly air stream, a highly effective warm front will cross our regions. Most of the precipitation will fall on Saturday night and the snow line will rise towards 2000 m until Sunday. The new week will bring a short period of improved conditions and spring-like mild temperatures. Then, milder conditions are expected, as a changeable southerly föhn stream will determine the weather in our regions.
ski holidays
Quote:

New Pistes

@stanton, Don't like the sound of that.... Sad
latest report
@Markymark29, Me neither but i heatd rumours they want to build two brand new lifts (not replacements) on Albona..
latest report
Next season (2017/2018) Lift Ticket Priced

Signficant increase on 1 & 2 week passes.

http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/media/1165/download/Tarifblatt_E_2017-18.pdf?v=1&inline=1
latest report
@stanton,
Quote:

Me neither but i heard rumours they want to build two brand new lifts (not replacements) on Albona

Oh dear, that'll be a bad day when that happens....... one of the best wilderness areas in the Arlberg.... both left of Albona II lift Star Wars and Wirt down to Rauz, and right North Face to Stuben, Maroikopf/ Langen etc. Hope one of them is the 100m chair required up to Valfegehrbahn, the other one a new nursery slope above Stuben. Have often thought an itinery to St Christoph down through the cliffs under the pylon would be good sport.

They need to leave well alone imo Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/media/1165/download/Tarifblatt_E_2017-18.pdf?v=1&inline=1

Yup. EUR14 on a one week pass will make the difference between going or not. rolling eyes
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
stanton wrote:

Yup. EUR14 on a one week pass will make the difference between going or not. rolling eyes

Right, Just look at the pass prices here in the USA. Although the ski resorts now have somewhat of a clue and offer heavily discounted of free tickets for kids under 13, if paying adult is included.

Won't be long before the whole Arlberg is interconnected.
latest report
@ulmerhutte, That means I need to same an extra 0.40€ a week from now until then......going to have to tighten my belt!
snow report
2 killed today in Hinterrendl - skiing face of the huge avalanche barrier.......why?

http://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/12754398-91/zwei-tote-in-st.-anton-wieder-lawinenunglück-in-tirol.csp
snow report
Folks never learn or check the risks of HinterRendl which has claimed many lives over the years at a guess on average 1 per season often more.
snow report
Some of the group I am with were on hand and one found/dug one of the two out today He said about 8 ft down. Clearly dead. Mass of help on site very quickly; within 5-10 minutes. Both found quickly. Doctor pronounced them both dead as soon as he arrived.
latest report
Very sad Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy