Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2016/2017 (Cold Front May 7th Snow Sunday)

Poster: A snowHead
Weather

Starting next week, the southerly föhn wind will have gone, the wind will turn north-westward. The temperatures will decrease and some snowfall is expected particularly towards the north side of the Alps. A brief period of calmer conditions is forecast for Tuesday. A further, weak disturbance will approach on Wednesday.

Winter weather is forecast for longer.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Start of day: stormy sky, föhn-looking, and very flat light.

End of day: sunshine, broken clouds, and a mellow Friday afternoon feeling.

Rendl: nice, relatively dry snow until maybe 1pm. Busier than I have seen it for many years. Queue for Riffel 1 outside the race.

Schindlerkar: possibly the pick of the pistes / near-pistes in the afternoon.

Great day, but soured at the end by seeing the aftermath of what was almost certainly a very serious accident in Steissbachtal.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What happened in Steissbachtal?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Don't know. The heli dropped a medic to a big group in Steissbachtal at around 3:30pm. I was on the Schindler chair at the time. It still had not picked up the victim/s when I came down Kandahar at 4:15pm. Usually the extraction is very quick, so I surmise the person was too sick to move?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ulmerhutte, sounds like it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Realised I have been here a week and not posted a report. Has clouded over in the last hour and just started snowing in lech.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh and wind is building
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lech Madloch
This morning they found the body of a 64yr old German under a Avalanche been missing since Thursday. Initial search location was found with victims mobile phonr but to dangerous becuase of avalanches.
They also used a drone with thermal imaging equipment. The victim did not have adequate off piste gear.

http://m.tt.com/panorama/unfall/12581412-91/vermisster-skifahrer-in-lech-tot-aufgefunden.csp
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just a dusting of new snow at the top of Arlenmädher and on the Korbersee side of Schrocken this morning. Sort of like the dusting of icing sugar on Kaiserschmarrn, but only less.

Flat light for most of the day until the sun came out a little after 3pm.

Felt colder today than for the last few days. Perhaps that's why the runs under Gampen felt like glazed ice at the end of the day?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
how's off piste conditions in St Anton?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ulmerhutte wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Don't know. The heli dropped a medic to a big group in Steissbachtal at around 3:30pm. I was on the Schindler chair at the time. It still had not picked up the victim/s when I came down Kandahar at 4:15pm. Usually the extraction is very quick, so I surmise the person was too sick to move?

Friends of mine where skiing down past after piste patrol had arrived and said they were performing CPR which didn't sound good Sad
Saw helicopters picking people up in and around Steissbachtal several time this afternoon between 15:00 and 16:00, tho not as serious looking as yesterday's Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was snowing very lightly in town earlier but it is now properly snowing. Hope it keeps going.

Arrived here from Saalbach today and I've certainly chosen two very different Austrian experiences! St Anton seems like a Major metropolis compared to Saalbach.

I didn't realise that school holidays for Eastern Austria and the train trip from Worgl to St Anton was crazy. People standing in the aisles and as far as I could tell nowhere to put luggage apart from the overhead racks (this was a Railjet train) Then a very grumpy Austrian woman (with a seat) told me off for standing in the aisle. I certainly wasn't the only one. I ended up sitting on the steps near the toilets. I can certainly see the attraction of all inclusive trips or driving. Especially when you're travelling with your skis or board. All I wanted today was a nice man to check my name off a list, load my luggage on the bus and drive me straight to the hotel door.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sqmaleb wrote:
how's off piste conditions in St Anton?

Sketchy!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Of course as soon as I posted about the snow falling it slowed right down. Whoops Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Raven wrote:
Then a very grumpy Austrian woman (with a seat) told me off for standing in the aisle.

In Austria & Germany it normal to reserve a seat.
snow conditions
What if there aren't any available?
snow conditions
You have to stand between the carriages not in the aisles or block toilets Emergency exits.
latest report
Sounds like nobody took any notice of custom on that train Laughing
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Raven wrote:
Then a very grumpy Austrian woman (with a seat) told me off for standing in the aisle.

In Austria & Germany it normal to reserve a seat.

Like towels on sun loungers? Interesting to see how our national tendency to rely upon the first come first served approach, as opposed to staking our claim in advance, always seems to result in us looking for standing room. Sad
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
You have to stand between the carriages not in the aisles or block toilets Emergency exits.

Where I ended up sitting was near the toilets but not blocking them. I will look into reserving a seat for my trip to Zurich Very Happy
ski holidays
@Raven, if you are leaving on Sat morning for Zürich, then you should certainly buy a reserved seat. RJ360 is usually absolutely full in second class.
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
@Raven, if you are leaving on Sat morning for Zürich, then you should certainly buy a reserved seat. RJ360 is usually absolutely full in second class.

Thanks. I'll get to the train station sometime today to reserve a seat. Part of the problem is I have a rail pass and with local trains just using your pas with no reservations isn't a problem. If I was buying separate tickets I'd definately reserve.

Back to the weather. Fine this morning after a dusting overnight. Fingers crossed the predicted heavier snow eventuates.
ski holidays
Yesterday was the first day of the Wien/ east Austria holidays. The road westbound at Kufstein had 10km queues at about 6pm. We were travelling east towards Munich and the west carriageway was stationary. Business owners I spoke to in St Anton said it's going to be rammed now, holiday season - glad I was there last week, pretty quiet and great skiing. Offpiste not great, snow wet and claggy low down, up high Thursday good but soon tracked out. Highlight was Thursday playing off Schindler both sides, Rendl and last run down to Rauz in the sun.. almost missed last Valfegehrbahn. Saw heli activity from Schindlerbahn and feared the worst...some people ski like idiots down Steissbachtal, end of day I cut across and go Kandahar, safer.
ski holidays
I heard people mention Kandahar when we were there last week - where is it?
snow conditions
@Jenniper, it's the black steep run down from Galzigbahn to Zammermoosbahn, runs parallel to Osthang - can be pretty challenging in icy conditions, great piste! Kandahar can be avoided though by taking Tanzbodenbahn back up and traversing across and down to town on Galzigbahn. Or going down Steissbachtal which we avoid at peak times.
latest report
Gotcha! Thank you.
snow conditions
Colder today, with variable light. A dusting of fresh snow up high. Lovely to ski.

Usual (insane) Sunday crowds. Steissbachtal looks like an ant's nest, as does Valfagehr. Quiet spots can however be found...
snow conditions
Snowing steadily now. Fairly dry snow too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, been snowing steadily for a few hours now snowHead

Snow on piste seems mostly in excellent condition. Even the final bit into town.

Mostly had a fun ski day today but some people have no idea. At the point where the blue run 50 back to town starts there was a whole line of people stood across the piste completely blocking the way. Insane. Also some skiers going way too fast on busy blue pistes full of beginners. I know they are probably in control but when it's that busy it's probably a good idea to slow it down a bit.
snow conditions
@Raven, It's the same on the autobahns - max speed and no allowance made for less competent/experienced people doing the unexpected.
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@Raven, It's the same on the autobahns - max speed and no allowance made for less competent/experienced people doing the unexpected.

Things are definately done differently in Austria to UK or Australia. When I arrived in St Anton I went to the taxi area expecting to find an orderly line like you would in Oz or say at Heathrow. Nope, it doesn't work like like. If you don't stick your elbows out a bit and be assertive you'd end up standing there for ages Very Happy
snow conditions
ski holidays
@Raven, One thing to remember.

Ski Resorts are very expensive so time is money

Forget about Being in UK or OZ and standing in line.

Think like your in the Jungle fighting your wayout.

Mission is to get to the front of the queue asap Very Happy
snow report
What rot. This is not the trading floor of Soc Gen. For most, skiing is done for enjoyment, relaxation, a chance to unwind. It is the joy of being in the mountains.

Fortunately, nobs with attitudes like you describe are in the minority. Somebody posted a set of skiing rules some time ago... I recall one of them went something like, "Don't be a tw@t!" Good advice.
ski holidays
@stanton, I've not seen much of that attitude in St Anton, to the contrary I find people to be generally courteous and polite at buses/ lift queues etc. That said the orange pant wearers do appear to be more bullish and brash (and loud particularly after a beer or two), maybe you and your fellow countrymen need to look at yourselves if that attitude prevails? wink Nothing wrong with being assertive but time is money attitude when on holiday? Really? wink
latest report
@Markymark29, @ulmerhutte

Have you ever used the subway in Hong Kong or Tokyo?

I do not use the lifts much (hike skin) but when I do queues are not an issue at all because I ski first lift & am done by 11:00 Happy However if I do, I move straight to the front (not pushing) . At €50+ a day or whatever it is nowadays slope time is more valuable than standing in Lift Lines with people waiting to ride together, not filling empty seats, chairs .....

I am afraid until the Lift company adopts an orderly American Lift line system your always going to get a clash of "waiting" cultures.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 6-02-17 11:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Lech (sunday)

27yr Skier went astray/lost in the fog on a steep section of Rufikopf Langerzug, had to be recused by the police. Was unharmed.

https://kurier.at/chronik/oesterreich/vbg-27-jaehriger-skifahrer-aus-bergnot-gerettet/245.089.950
ski holidays
Weather

A high-pressure area over North Europe will determine the weather for the rest of the week.
This high will prevent, that the low-pressure area over the Mediterranean regions will approach our regions.
The air will become dryer, though harmless, high cloud fields will repeatedly mix with the sunshine until into Thursday.
Mostly bright sunshine and clear skies will determine the weather on Friday and at the weekend.
Moderate temperatures are forecast, however, a significant thawing is not expected too.
ski holidays
@stanton, No, I use the one in London wink I'm with @ulmerhutte, time is clearly important, don't want to be hanging about either but a bit of courtesy never did anyone any harm did it?

One thing through - I do wish those guys at Schindlerbahn would fill the 3 person chairs up - pretty big queue last Thursday, sunny and fresh powder on Schindlerkar beckoning and 2's were going up.....that DOES wind me up. I'm OK with T-Bar singles at Schoengraben/ Kapall, I get that some feel safer on their own.... but 2's on Schindlerbahn ain't great with a queue behind. rolling eyes
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/FLUO5pW5krM
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy