Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The wait was VERY long

Poster: A snowHead
5 years to be precise, since the previous movie by "Loddo Rockefeller"
Shot is 2014 and 2015 season, took him about 3 months of editing...

ROCKEFELLERS third from Loddo Rockefeller
https://vimeo.com/164321600
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The wait for anything to happen in that movie was so long I gave up after two minutes when still nothing had happened. I can only assume it's a spoof of all the wanky ski movies but it wasn't funny or interesting enough to be worth watching the rest of it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unfortunately I stuck with it.
Thrilling stuff, especially those bits where he's actually sliding down a piste...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@foxtrotzulu,
He's one plank short of a skier wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought it was very clever. He must have superb balance and core strength to pull off those ground-level carves. The rotating shots taken from the helmet GoPro on a long pole were superb.

I am a bit mystified as to what the hell he was riding. It wasn't a tea tray nor was it a mono ski. It looked like a very fat ski that had had 2 bindings fitted.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gaza,
One of these
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@foxtrotzulu, skip to 2:50 for the action, if you are inclined to try again.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gaza, I concur.

Saw some guys on those things (or something similarly boardy and racey) earlier in the year and it was amazing the edge and angles that they were getting.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So its a snowboard right? Not knowing much about snowboarding is that what snowboarders aspire to do?

And what happens if you fall at speed with a pole the length of a golf club shaft stuck on top of your helmet? Are they meant to break off or break your neck?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah the Eurocarve.... each to their own, but we should never forget there are a billion ways to slide sideways Smile
As for the rotatey-pole-GoPro-mount.. it just makes dull on-piste a bit more extreme Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flinnster wrote:
...there are a billion ways to slide sideways Smile

The whole idea is NOT to slip sideways, but to ride on the rail. After all snowboarding is a spinoff from classical wavesurfing - riding a frozen wave.
Look at his video from famous monsterwave Nazare (Portugal) - on such a way you don't want to "crab" sideways but blast forward and have a rail with a good bite for grip

http://youtube.com/v/awjMSjic268?t=167
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This whole Hardboots'n'boned-out-eurocarves are very much Philwig cup o' Bovril. Frankly, I just cannot grow a substantial enough beard to be in the 'scene'.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think his first video is significantly better, but they're extremely well produced and worth a look for video/editing ideas. Personally I want to see the riding in the first 5 seconds or I'm struggling.

That's a very stylized turn, and not one I much like - to me it's more of a trick. My approach is pretty much "race"; utilitarian, without stylistic additions. Eg Vimeo 149608586.

Virus specializes in stiff narrow boards - that one looks is wider than most so it's likely specifically designed for his rotation/ laid down style. I ride a metal (Swiss) Kessler SL on piste which is wider, shorter, and has a broader application. There are niche US and Canadian manufacturers of race gear too. It's an active market, but tiny.

As far as what snowboarders "aspire" to, the fashion for the last 30 years has been very much skate (not surf) oriented spinny tricks. The focus is on doing things which require an audience to make sense. So broadly the answer's "no, they do not aspire to this or anything like it".

When I started snowboarding I was the only rider on the hill. Most places, not much has changed, there are just a lot of side-slippers for me to carve circles around these days. Personally if I can't ride hard I ride a no-board, I'm not much interested in the stuff in between. I look stupid with a beard.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A young(er) friend of ours is an active member of the US racing scene for these.
Very impressive.

I've nothing (much) against snowboarders...except when they are heel-edge grinding down a whole slope!

That never happens with these.

I do think he needs to get some better clothing though...his thigh and sleeve were dripping wet towards the end of this video.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's sikaflex on his thighs and gloves to cope with abrasion due to constantly dragging over the snow in EC turns
latest report
Quote:

skip to 2:50 for the action, if you are inclined to try again

Thanks for that.... quite enjoyed the video (except the very spinny bits which make me seasick) but the music was pretty mind-numbing. Not as bad as the ghastly new age stuff on the surfing video - I did enjoy those waves, though. Would love to go and see them (from a vantage point on dry land) sometime.
ski holidays
Nazaré: They're using camera angles fairly carefully there, impressive none the less. When I surfed there, they had brown things floating in the water. That was maybe 10 years ago mind, and perhaps things are better now what with all the Euro investment wink
snow report
philwig wrote:
Nazaré: They're using camera angles fairly carefully there, impressive none the less.

I remember being in Tenerife as a kid and seeing sets rolling in upwards of 20ft, even that was remarkably impressive.
ski holidays
Actually Walberswick in a north-easterly gale can be pretty serious - way over windsurfer mast-high and cross-shore winds. So over 4.5 meters non-Hawaian... not sure what it would be in feet. Big waves are impressive.
snow report
Flinnster wrote:
Ah the Eurocarve.... each to their own, but we should never forget there are a billion ways to slide sideways Smile
As for the rotatey-pole-GoPro-mount.. it just makes dull on-piste a bit more extreme Wink

So how does it differ from a skwal (saw one for the first time in 15 years at Les Arcs this Easter) ?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy