Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French equivalent of Fernie??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there- got a Friend from across the water coming across to France next year & they'd like to spend a week skiing somewhere else other than Cham but in France- Fernie is their favourite resort in Canada- what would be a similar style of place in France? Not too massive, not overly fussed about night-life as long as they can get a beer and with great off-piste or where companies are not obsessed with bashing the pistes to death if there has been some snow?

If you don't want to reveal your secrets, feel free to send me a PM!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sainte Foy, Tarentaise ?
http://www.saintefoy-tarentaise.com/english/winter/home/#
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pistes will get bashed regardless that's what they're for. I'd say Serre Chevalier for trees, and you've got La Grave nearby for big boy lines if he gets his kicks poaching Lizard Bowl from Polar Peak.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@L_555, does it need to be France? From where you are it's only 1hr40 to e.g. Champoluc or Gressoney...if conditions are good then the Gressoney/Alagna bowls are sort of the same experience.

In fact, all being equal wait and see who gets the conditions...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had the experience this year of someone coming to stay far.too.long, so as much for my own sanity as theirs, it would be great to get somewhere booked. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wouldn't the French equivalent of Fernie be Ferney....... Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Pistes will get bashed regardless that's what they're for. I'd say Serre Chevalier for trees, and you've got La Grave nearby for big boy lines if he gets his kicks poaching Lizard Bowl from Polar Peak.

I'll second this, stay in Serre Chevalier and commute to La Grave if the snow's better there ( they quite often have different weather systems)
Then there's easy access to the Via Lattea, again a different weather system, also the Queyras resorts, again a....................... Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd agree - Serre Chevalier, it has the same kind of terrain and is also a "one long face" type of mountain. Loved them both. Do try to book last minute to ensure snow is good (both in terms of snowpack and forecast for fresh whilst you're there) Serre Chevalier isn't as snowsure as some other resorts.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If they're coming all that way, wouldn't they like to try somewhere that's completely different to their normal experience at Fernie? rolling eyes

I like Fernie, by the way.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've skiied Fernie and Serre Che, IMHO Serre Che is better. Loved the Canadians and the resort itself was very nice, but I was a bit unimpressed by the skiing. Maybe I was unlucky with the time of year (Christmas) and snow conditions - warm rain interspersed with heavy snowfall.. very weird and very wet! But, never had a bad trip to Serre Che yet, I agree with those here and think it would be ideal.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MikeM wrote:
Fernie.......warm rain interspersed with heavy snowfall.. very weird and very wet!

I've been to Serre Che three times and a day trip from ADH, on the day trip it was raining heavily at resort, blizzard/whiteout when you got above freezing level. Stayed on the higher lifts and froze the arris off myself. Lots of drinks in a bar (not too far from the bottom of the Luc Alphond, not the station though) with the rest of the coach load of grockles, the place was jammed and literally steaming.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rogg wrote:
MikeM wrote:
Fernie.......warm rain interspersed with heavy snowfall.. very weird and very wet!

I've been to Serre Che three times and a day trip from ADH, on the day trip it was raining heavily at resort, blizzard/whiteout when you got above freezing level. Stayed on the higher lifts and froze the arris off myself. Lots of drinks in a bar (not too far from the bottom of the Luc Alphond, not the station though) with the rest of the coach load of grockles, the place was jammed and literally steaming.

Now that I think back I do remember one trip to Serre Che being stuck on a chairlift for 20mins with my son wedged in between my wife and I trying to keep warm when the wind chill fairly froze us to the safety bar... very, very unpleasant, one of the worst experiences I've had 'cos it was unbelievably cold .... thank's for reminding me! rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rogg wrote:
with the rest of the coach load of grockles,

I would have placed you more in the West Country than Ireland.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
rogg wrote:
with the rest of the coach load of grockles,

I would have placed you more in the West Country than Ireland.

Old habits die hard.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

If they're coming all that way, wouldn't they like to try somewhere that's completely different to their normal experience at Fernie?

I like Fernie, by the way.

This surely? I'd take them to Chamonix. If you don't want the bustle of the town then stay up in Argentiere or somewhere in between.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Sainte Foy is a good shout. I often use Fernie (or Canadian resorts in general) when trying to explain Sainte Foy to people who don't get it. Big mountain, couple of lifts to different ends of the top ridge, handful of pistes, lots of empty spaces to go at.

Trees too! (Best in the Tarentaise for sure!).
snow report
@jedster, i think @L_555 is trying to get them a respectable distance from Argentierre for a least a portion of their stay!
ski holidays
Quote:

@jedster, i think @L_555 is trying to get them a respectable distance from Argentierre for a least a portion of their stay!

Ah! My mistake.

I haven't been to Sainte Foy but from mates descriptions it does sound a good option. I wonder also about La Clusaz. I'd argue Les Contamines might fit the bill but I'm biased and a Chamoniard would probably have thought of that already. I think UANN's suggestion of Monte Rosa is pretty good. I'd add Sauze D'Oulx for easily accessible Italy if tree skiing is a criteria.
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
@Mike Pow, Sainte Foy is a good shout. I often use Fernie (or Canadian resorts in general) when trying to explain Sainte Foy to people who don't get it. Big mountain, couple of lifts to different ends of the top ridge, handful of pistes, lots of empty spaces to go at.

Trees too! (Best in the Tarentaise for sure!).

Smile

A mate has suggested Puy St Vincent
http://winter.puy-saint-vincent.fr/

ski holidays
@Mike Pow - your mate is right. Just read the postings, see the phantastic photo's and videos of Rogier van Rijn. He's a dutch expatriate who moved to the Hautes Alpes and lives his dream. Both PSV (his home mountain) and the small stations in the Queyras (especially Abries) are hidden gems for powder fanatics. He went to live in that region exactly for this reason; if you want to earn a living from making photo's and videos and blogging about phantastic offpiste skiing, you need to be close to the spot where you very often have epic conditions. Rezd his story here (google translated dutch to english)
https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.antonmagazine.nl%2Fchapter%2F10&edit-text=
snow report
Abries, march 17th 2016, from Rogier's facebook
snow conditions
Onnem wrote:
@Mike Pow - your mate is right. Just read the postings, see the phantastic photo's and videos of Rogier van Rijn. He's a dutch expatriate who moved to the Hautes Alpes and lives his dream. Both PSV (his home mountain) and the small stations in the Queyras (especially Abries) are hidden gems for powder fanatics. He went to live in that region exactly for this reason; if you want to earn a living from making photo's and videos and blogging about phantastic offpiste skiing, you need to be close to the spot where you very often have epic conditions. Rezd his story here (google translated dutch to english)
https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.antonmagazine.nl%2Fchapter%2F10&edit-text=

Looks magic. On the list Smile
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, some extra links, if in dutch just paste the url into translate.google.com
http://www.wintersporters.nl/weblog/bericht/5189/op-verkenning-in-het-franse--poederparadijs-abries
http://www.rogiervanrijn.com/wordpress/2011/03/06/wat-een-weekend/
snow conditions
Family resort with deep, untracked powder.

Right up my street Smile
snow report
Madesimo
https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alpinforum.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D48%26t%3D51009&edit-text=
ski holidays
Onnem wrote:
Madesimo
https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alpinforum.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D48%26t%3D51009&edit-text=

Looks some great terrain. And deserted Smile
snow conditions
forgot to reply to these- thanks very much- they are going to get a car and do some of Southern Alps- Puy, Serre Chev & I even heard a whisper that Les Karellis is a hidden gem..if we ever get any snow!
snow report
L_555 wrote:
I even heard a whisper that Les Karellis is a hidden gem..if we ever get any snow!

I don't know about "hidden gem". Ugly crypto-communist carbuncle on the face of the Alps might be another word. Still worth going before they extend the lift system as there are still some unexploited back bowls

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Savoie/Les-Karellis-Off-Piste

The original village of Albanne is a traditional Savoyard farming village and worth having a look at.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy