Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

nordica nrgy 90

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone skied these. Any reviews? What did you compare them to. Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a pair, 177cm, I'm 5' 11'', 80kg, reasonably fit.

Wanted something a bit wider to help me in fresh snow, that would still carve well and not be too hard work if skiing all day. Demoed the Fischer Motive 86 (too stiff and hard work for me), Volkl Kendo (liked them a lot, felt might be a bit stiff) and NRGY 90. NRGY 90 were light, felt nimble, easy to ski, could bend them into short turns, held an edge nicely for carving.

Now had two weeks in the Alps (one at pre-EOSB) in spring conditions. I like them a lot once the overnight frozen piste has softened by say mid-morning through to pretty deep slush. They hold a carve well, easy to vary turns, stable at reasonably fast speeds, not hard work, need to pressure the front a bit, they have a long turn radius. Much easier than my previous narrower skis in new snow just off the piste. But, first thing in the morning when the piste has refrozen overnight I'm skidding a lot and not really enjoying them waiting for the sun to soften things up. Probably fair to say that's not too much different from my previous narrower skis, so just as likely to be my technique, but I really think they are not intended for those conditions and if it stayed frozen hard all day they would not be much fun.

I've enjoyed them a lot, they are quite soft which makes them fun and easy to ski in soft snow, and my skiing has definitely improved on them. In retrospect if I was to have only one pair of skis I would probably have something a bit narrower and a little stiffer that helped more in firmer conditions - the NRGY 90 has left me feeling it doesn't really cover all the bases and I'm not well equipped for hard snow conditions. However, I do like them in the right conditions so have acquired a pair of slalom skis in the end of year sales so hoping to have the best of both worlds - yet to see how that goes!

I think the other thing to consider is that whilst I found the NRGY 90 helped me a lot in soft snow, I could see the situation where if I had alternative skis for firmer conditions then it would be worth going even wider than the NRGY 90 for a dedicated soft snow / off piste ski.

One thing to watch - they come as a flat ski to which you can add your own binding (I have an Attack 13) and also as an Evo version which has a Nordica plate and binding. I've been on both and found the plate stiffens it up quite a bit and I feel robs it of its nice easy skiing feeling.

Hope that helps, good luck with your choice.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dan100, stop dickin' about & just pull the trigger on some Brahma's Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Need to find some within budget. Favouring vantage 90 but it's slightly guesswork. I did choose the nomad crimsons I hd partly based on a review from you though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:
@dan100, stop dickin' about & just pull the trigger on some Brahma's Toofy Grin

+1 - Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy