Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer in The Alps

Poster: A snowHead
So after quite a few winter holidays in The Alps we have opted for a summer holiday in Morzine this year. Off for two weeks in July after deciding to give the beach holidays a miss. Time to get active!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check if any local glaciers will be open, and if driving take some ski gear for a few days of essential treatment snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I generally prefer the Alps in the summer - with the exception of not being able to ski of course.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Tour De France will be in the alps around 19th July.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Beach holidays would bore me senseless.
Beware the Mutzig @ Bar Robbo. I swear they go to your head twice as quickly when it's sunny.
Alps this month... MTBing or walking? Can't decide. Might depend on how much left over snow there is.
Scottish Alps in July.
Giving MTBing in Morzine a miss this year.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The summer is when I really have a full time job in the Alps - I am guiding the Tour du Mont Blanc...9 times! Between trips I'll try and snatch a few days of MTBing and maybe a ski day or 2 if I'm lucky.

Beware only visit Chamonix if you are doing something specific, otherwise Morzine is much nicer, Cham is just way too popular.
For Skiing Les Diablerets is your closest and Saas Fe and Zermatt both have plenty of skiing.]
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Beach holidays would bore me senseless.

I have had some lovely beach holidays, well not actually on the beach but wind surfing, dinghy sailing and learning to sucba dive. Not boring at all.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agreed. It's a terrible waste of a beach to just sit on it and read a book.....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Relax as hard as you like Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Morzine is great in the summer, probably been more times in summer than winter. No point taking ski gear, it's too far to any skiing and there's enough other stuff to do anyway. Take bikes instead, you don't have to be into the hardcore downhill stuff, there's easier stuff too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Idris, when do you start your first TMB ?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I love Morzine in the summer. I've been MTBing many times over the past 10 years but never thought to take skis.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tccambs wrote:
Relax as hard as you like Toofy Grin

I hope you paid royalties to use that snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy, wrote "...Beware the Mutzig @ Bar Robbo. I swear they go to your head twice as quickly when it's sunny...." googles 'mutzig' Smile Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@albob, they are deceptive. good VFM in terms of %ABV per € Twisted Evil
snow report
I really enjoy the Austrian Alps (Lechtaler, Arlberg and Bregenzerwald) in summer almost as much as winter, the mountainbiking and hiking is fantastic, the air super-clean and the food/ drink just great. I cant even think of being on a beach or round a busy pool anymore laid amongst hoards of sun-bathers. We typically do something active then if its a sunny day crash around a quiet pool or mountain lake surrounded by mountains and take in a well earned beer or 2......its brilliant! This summer I'm going to get up at 2am and do the photography sunrise thing from the top of a peak, its been on my list for a while, its on for this summer, bought myself a new tripod!
latest report
The Alps are also wonderful in late spring and autumn - and much quieter, of course, and with less chance of being mown down by mountain bikers when out for a walk. In fact, the only time I wouldn't bother is from early November until the lifts open..... Which isn't long at all.
snow report
@pam w,
Quote:

and with less chance of being mown down by mountain bikers when out for a walk

Most responsible mountain-bikers use a bell in my experience, its also a pet-hate of mine though how many people out walking dawdle about taking up the full width of bridleways where bikes have as much right to be there as walkers.....and then give us dirty looks and mutterings when we ask them to let us by!
snow conditions
I cycle on a lot of shared paths, and I agree. It's infuriating - especially the groups with dogs on those long expandable leads. However, bikers descending steep, narrow, shared paths are scary, when you know they really can't stop (or at least, that's how it appears to me; maybe they can stop on a sixpence). One has little option but to leap into the undergrowth as they pass.
latest report
As a regular & seasoned mountainbiker, you have my absolute sympathy pam w. The types you describe are the ones who give our beloved sport a bad name - disgraceful really... Sad

No doubt the same type of riders who blast down trails and up the @r $€ of any slower riders (ie me and Mrs MA) ahead of them....Very intimidating and very scarey Confused
ski holidays
If you want to walk in the Alps try to avoid the skiing areas. There is so much nice nature away from the skiing resorts.
And you do run the risk of being run down by a bike. Toofy Grin
snow report
albob wrote:
@andy, wrote "...Beware the Mutzig @ Bar Robbo. I swear they go to your head twice as quickly when it's sunny...." googles 'mutzig' Smile Wink

Mrs Big Dave has a T Shirt saying "Mutzig made me do it" Smile
latest report
@Hyst, In France VTTs are banned in the national parks which include the Vanoise National Park which is very accessible from many ski resorts. The nearby nature reserves such as the Grande Sassiere also ban VTT. I gather the Mercantour National Park even bans walking sticks in its boundaries.

Even outside of the park I prefer to go to places where bikes cannot get to.
latest report
Quote:

In France VTTs are banned in the national parks

I didn't know that. Sounds reasonable. Thing is, I do quite a lot of walks which are immediately out of my door - and that IS in a ski resort. When out in the Alps I try to use the car as little as possible - for personal and environmental reasons but I really should explore some of the national parks.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
As a regular & seasoned mountainbiker, you have my absolute sympathy pam w. The types you describe are the ones who give our beloved sport a bad name - disgraceful really... Sad

Indeed. See also the road cyclists that jump red lights.

Mind you an equally annoying thing is when people insist on walking along the bike specific trails at some trail centres. I've been on some very quick rides before (along what should be a one way system) and had to hammer the brakes on for some numpty walking towards me.
ski holidays
@alangibson73, you`ll love it. Summer in Morzine is my absolute favourite time of year. Loads going on and hopefully the weather will be kind to us again!
ski holidays
brock wrote:
@Idris, when do you start your first TMB ?

16th June
snow report
@Idris, are there different durations for the tour depending on the composition of the group?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Idris, I've done it one, and I'd love to do it several times a summer. Do you work for one company, several, or just yourself? Do you have an International Mountain Leader qualification, or French equivalent?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
@Idris, are there different durations for the tour depending on the composition of the group?

The tour op I'm working for (GAdventures) does a 10 day TMB of which 7 days are walking - this is a cut down version of the TMB, taking a bus in Switzerland and not walking much in the Chamonix Valley.
There a many different variations of the TMB, to walk the whole loop with no buses at a comfortable pace is 10 days walking, almost all the tour operators do slightly different versions, a lot of these are more down to which accommodation they've booked rather than anything else - if you are booking a lot you need to think 15 months ahead, or you won't get what you want.

I am only restricted by where I am staying, I can make up how I get between those point depending on the group.

Gadventures also run a 7 day sightseeing trip with 4 days of hiking, I'm running 2 of these, to relax between TMB's
latest report
Chamcham wrote:
@Idris, I've done it one, and I'd love to do it several times a summer. Do you work for one company, several, or just yourself? Do you have an International Mountain Leader qualification, or French equivalent?

Last summer I worked for 4 different companies, some easier to work for than others, when one of the better ones offered me a whole summers work and my choice of dates I said yes - so one this summer.

I have the IML from the UK system - both the final exam weeks - one winter one summer were done here in France and my winter training was in Norway. I also have a French Carte Pro.

The French Accompagnateur en montagne is their version of the IML and is very similar in what it teaches you, but the way they go about it is quite different.
snow report
@Idris, Thanks. I'm beginning the process of ML, then IML. I presume you need to be living locally to get the work. Would there be any chance of signing up while living in the UK, then flying out to do a few weeks in a row?
ski holidays
A couple of weekends ago, in the midst of crap UK weather, we pulled the trigger on 2 weeks in Mayrhofen in July. Really looking forward to it. Hoping for some heat to go along with the stunning scenery. Oh, and if we hire bike we'll do our best not to run anyone over with them.
snow conditions
@Ravelin, You'll love it - walking in the mountains is fantastic. You should get some sunny weather, but be prepared for rain too.
snow report
Chamcham wrote:
@Idris, Thanks. I'm beginning the process of ML, then IML. I presume you need to be living locally to get the work. Would there be any chance of signing up while living in the UK, then flying out to do a few weeks in a row?

Loads of TMB work available, 40% + of IML do just that, fly out do 2-3 trips then back. Just beware there is a reason why certain tour operators have no returning staff and struggle even to get newly qualified inexperienced leaders Wink

Don't take up any European work until you are fully qualified and don't touch France without a Carte Pro or LPS, a fair number of folks got into trouble last summer believing if they were offered a job by an established company everything must be legit!
snow conditions
@Idris, Thanks for the advice - it's a medium term plan rather than short term, probably 3-5 years, and I wouldn't do it without the appropriate paperwork.
ski holidays
Hey @Idris, fellow IML here! No TMB for me though, I mostly do my own thing, 99% of it on a mountain bike!

Did do a bike TMB in early October a couple of years ago... that was awesome!

In reply to @pam w's comment above - generally speaking, a decent rider on a modern bike CAN stop on a six-pence. For me, this is one of the biggest causes of conflict between bikes and walkers - walkers getting upset as they feel they've had to "leap out of the way" and riders being completely bemused at what the fuss is all about.

The solution, of course, is politeness and respect on both sides - riders slowing down well in advance of passing walkers, even though it might not be "necessary" to do so and walkers not making a fuss about having to step 6" out of their way to allow a bike to pass.

It all gets very difficult on crowded, honeypot trails though. I wouldn't want to do the TMB on a bike in July/August. No fun at all.
snow report
@stevomcd, We were passed by a few groups of bikers on the TMB. It was June-July, there were only two of us, usually 5-6 of them. We stepped to one side of the trail and smiled. They smiled, waved and said thank you in whichever language came into their minds at the time. As you say, politeness and respect. On the other hand, if there was a large group of cyclists every 10 minutes, I can see it would be an irritation.
snow report
Quote:

For me, this is one of the biggest causes of conflict between bikes and walkers - walkers getting upset as they feel they've had to "leap out of the way" and riders being completely bemused at what the fuss is all about.

Because I'm an unskilled cyclist and would be terrified by some of the tracks round my way, I probably overestimate the difficulty of their stopping. On narrow tracks winding round rocks and trees and on quite a steep gradient it is sometimes difficult walking down, let alone cycling, even with poles. That's largely because of the surface underfoot - gravelly/dusty/uneven/tree roots. Even on the flat, on a wide track with nobody about, I'm wary of braking on gravelly/dusty surfaces. I used to ride a (small) motorbike and those were the surfaces which had me off twice. I wasn't very good at that, either. Embarassed
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Because I'm an unskilled cyclist and would be terrified by some of the tracks round my way, I probably overestimate the difficulty of their stopping.

I think this is common. I once had a woman yell at me to stop when I was cycling on a canal towpath. I hammered on the brakes and it turned out that her dogs were on the path up ahead of me. I could see them and had plenty of time to slow down and get by them with no hassle, instead I ended up stopped 20 yards short of where they were and querying why she'd stop me. Her bemused answer was "well, er...you weregoing fast and...."
She didn't to come up with much more of a valid reason so I rode on.

Although to be fair I think that cyclists also underestimate stopping and how fast they're travelling in comparison to walkers, it's one of the reasons I tend to avoid shared paths now. All that's in the UK though, I've unfortunately not had the fun of riding in the Alps.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy