Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer skiing - Hintertux and Kitzsteinhorn

Poster: A snowHead
Doing a bit of a road trip last week of July 1st week of August in Austria, staying in Lermoos for a couple of days to go to Area47, then heading off to Mayrhofen for a week followed by 5 days in Zell. Just wondering if it would be worth taking the ski gear with us or whether it will be a slush fest at that time of year? Obviously would check nearer the time re conditions etc but would be good to know fellow Snowheads experiences at that time of year on those glaciers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ice first. Slush later. Take own gear.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends how hot it is, could be slush first thing too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@boabski, would be interested to hear how you get on in Area47. Have been considering taking the kids down there myself.
As far as skiing in Hintertux is concerned, August skiing can be ok if you just happen to hit a week where there has been recent snowfall, but I have never managed to do that and in general it sucks! The glacier looks like someone puked on it and you are generally skiing on blue ice or slushy blue ( well gray actually ) ice.
Not really worth it tbh.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last week of July is pushing it, unless there is an unusual dump, conditions are likely to be poor and restricted.

If you are going specifically for the skiing, I would move the dates to a month earlier. If its just an odd day on the hill I would just take my boots.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Kitzsteinhorn is only open (for skiing) till 24th July, so probably wouldn't fit in with your plans. I've never skied in summer, so can't comment on the conditions - it was great there last Friday Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Kitzsteinhorn is only open (for skiing) till 24th July, so probably wouldn't fit in with your plans. I've never skied in summer, so can't comment on the conditions - it was great there last Friday Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replies folks. Not fussed about the skiing - it would only be a bonus and can't change timings due to my wife's work holidays.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We did lots of walking and cycling and only one day skiing on our similar Junfrau - Hoff - Zell am See road trip a few years back.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2317489&highlight=trip#2317489
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Enjoy Area 47, went there a couple of years ago. Did the high ropes course and spent the rest of the day round the water area, fantastic fun.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i recommend to take your equipment since it is a road trip...but do you mean take a plane and rent a car e.g. in Munchen or drive all the way???
if you consider to drive all the way, then take you skis etc

you never know...i had some superb summerskiing days in Hintertux
of course do not expect 100km of slopes and many hours of skiing
but for 2-3 h. it is ok...then go down, trekking, cycling, swimming etc
Austria is lovely in summer
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kitz is worthless in summer, Hintertux is good.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have been to Mayrhofen a couple of times in the summer as well as Zell/Kaprun. Have never skied but have seen lots of people heading up the glaciers when I've been there. Will make a judgement call nearer the time as the ski gear will pretty much take up all the roof box, and my boot is not massive
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Slightly off topic, but is Molltal open in Summer, and is it worth visiting?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can only offer experiences as a mountaineer...on alpine glaciers in August I've experienced conditions ranging from heatwaves causing large swathes of bare ice and unfrozen snow, through to knee deep powder...it varies by the year. Theres pretty much no way to tell, though that time is probably the hottest. Plenty of other stuff to do though, so dont worry too much.

Area 47 is a pretty awesome place, the dry slope sledge jump into the lake is a particular highlight!!
snow report
Is there an open ski hire for hintertux for the summer skiing?
snow report
Saalbachsnowhead wrote:
Is there an open ski hire for hintertux for the summer skiing?

Yes, here.
latest report
Anyone know if any ski schools still going the summer at Hintertux? Any recommendation if more than one?
snow report
I've been to Hintertux quite a lot in the summer months and never noticed any beginner classes, just lots of junior ski teams practicing, but that doesn't mean they don't exist, but more likely to be private lessons.

Call the ski lift office or rental shop at the bottom and ask.
latest report
don't think the ski schools are open but you could get on a race/performance camp with austriaracingcamps
latest report
geeo wrote:
don't think the ski schools are open but you could get on a race/performance camp with austriaracingcamps

If we do go I'll have to get our 5 year old to buck her ideas up then, wink
snow conditions
Ah ok maybe not then Smile
latest report
Thank you @rjs
snow report
@boabski, Hintertux is not really kiddy/ beginner friendly for skiing but there are plenty of things on offer that kids will enjoy. Go to the Hintertux website to see how they keep the little ins interested but not freezing cold in a whiteout at the top of the Gefrorene Wande at 3250+metres 👻👽😱
ski holidays
@Samerberg Sue, thanks. The kids are very capable skiers and can whip their old man's butt big style😫
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy