Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New All Mountain Ski

Poster: A snowHead
It's my birthday in a few days. Ski sales are on. My Atomic Nomad Crimsons are 6/7 years old. There is new technology. I don't really need the. But I'm hoping I'm not paying and am aiming at £300 for skis and bindings which is just about possible in the sales.

My options are Atomic Vantage 90, Scott the Ski, blizzard Brahma or K2 pinnacle. I have head magnums so this is variable conditions , Spring skiing, slack country rather than true off piste and slushy snow skiing. I'm leaning towards the Vantage, but open to suggestions

Me 6ft 2 , 90-95kg, skied about 25-26 ski advancing skier.. Ski comfortably in reds, in control on steeps and badly in moguls Embarassed I would be aim to get a ski at 180-185.

Any thoughts ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why aren't the K2 Rictor's on your list?
They are a fantastic ski and incredibly versatile.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flangesax wrote:
........ incredibly versatile.

So are Birdseye Potato waffles wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timberwolf wrote:
flangesax wrote:
........ incredibly versatile.

So are Birdseye Potato waffles wink

Damn you, I'm singing that now!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@flangesax,
Do they still make them? I thought they'd been discontinued. Might explain why there are such good deals about at the moment.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Think the k2 is discontinued. Looking for around 90mm underfoot.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What new technology??
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
What new technology??
it's the justification, doesn't have to be true. It's shiny, it's precious, I wants one.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just been looking at exactly this kind of ski too and finally decided on the new Volkl 90Eight. I was also looking very closely at the Atomic Vantage 100 and K2 Pinnacle 95 and I'm sure either of those would have been cool too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dan100, It does look like it...
Good for me as mine are just a little busted after many seasons of abuse... that means I should be able to grab a steal somewhere this summer!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dan100: where do you intend to buy Blizzard Brahma (local shop or online ski shop?) and for what price?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's the most challenging in the length I need to bring within budget.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am also considering Blizzard Brahma from my all-mountain ski selection which includes Rossignol Experience 88 and Salomon xDrive 8.8.

I also find challenging finding these skis in length 180...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's always the issue with sales, they seem to sell out first in the longer lengths for some reason. You'd think by now they would be able to work out how many pairs to make in each length based on demand. But it's invariably the short ones that end up left on the shelf at the end of the season. It took me ages to find the skis I wanted in a mid 180s length.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking at price and availability I think it's boiling down to k2 pinnacle in 184, Scott the Ski in 180 or Atomic Vantage in 184. Anyone skied all three. The older k2 amp rictor 90 can be bought for around £300 with binding.
snow conditions
I only paid €200 for my last pair which lasted yonks (local advantages wink... I'd still say they are worth every penny of that £300. Decent binding too (but fit to the ski).
latest report
Looking at price and availability I think it's boiling down to k2 pinnacle in 184, Scott the Ski in 180 or Atomic Vantage in 184. Anyone skied all three. The older k2 amp rictor 90 can be bought for around £300 with binding.
snow report
uktrailmonster wrote:
That's always the issue with sales, they seem to sell out first in the longer lengths for some reason. You'd think by now they would be able to work out how many pairs to make in each length based on demand. But it's invariably the short ones that end up left on the shelf at the end of the season. It took me ages to find the skis I wanted in a mid 180s length.

It's like buying size 9 shoes - the lengths one or two down from the top of size range will always sell out first as they suit the most (male) people. Also they are the size that powerful female skiers will end up going for in many cases.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

It's like buying size 9 shoes - the lengths one or two down from the top of size range will always sell out first as they suit the most (male) people. Also they are the size that powerful female skiers will end up going for in many cases.

I know this, but you would think that manufacturers and retailers would know this too and be smart enough to compensate with the volume of each size they make and sell. But it seems to be a surprise to them every season and the most popular sizes invariably sell out first.
snow conditions
dan100 wrote:

I doubt you'll find many people who have skied them all except for reviewers. There are some good reviews over on Blister Gear that I always find useful. Here's their review of the K2 Pinnacle 95 and they've reviewed some of the Atomic Vantage range too, not sure about the Scott:-

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2015-2016-k2-pinnacle-95

If you can't make your mind up based on review strengths and weaknesses, I'd probably just choose based on the best deal and which one you like the look of best. They are all going to do the same job perfectly well and as far as I've read they all get great reviews. I doubt you could go wrong really providing you get the right length.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

I know this, but you would think that manufacturers and retailers would know this too and be smart enough to compensate with the volume of each size they make and sell. But it seems to be a surprise to them every season and the most popular sizes invariably sell out first.

Erm, or they're being smart enough to make the right amount of skis in the core lengths to sell at full price before sales start?

Or is your argument that they're making too many in short lengths? It sounds like you're comparing they're not making enough in long lengths to last until sale periods.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:

Or is your argument that they're making too many in short lengths?

^This mainly, but probably also not quite enough of the longer ones as they often run out even well before the sales start. It's always the shorties that end up on super sale prices right at the end (and any lemons in all lengths that get consistently pants reviews)
latest report
^ OK take the Nordica Enforcer - it did phenomenally well in the US. Sold out in all major sizes well before post Xmas discounting. Did they underproduce? Well possibly not really - they were able to get early release 16/17 stock into the shops mid season to mop up latent demand and still maintain their "undiscounted" price point. & they'll have hype to spare running into next season. Selling out is not a problem for ski brands - it's a market flooded with surplus of last years stock that is the problem - ask Rossi back in the Quiksilver days.
ski holidays
Selling out is not a problem for ski brands - it's a market flooded with surplus of last years stock that is the problem

IME it's a problem when attempting to buy longer length skis in the end of season sales and that surplus of last year's stock you mention are nearly always too short! So they must be over-producing the short ones no?
snow conditions
You see the same thing with clothes too. I imagine that the higher the volume of a product (in a given size) the easier it is to predict the volume that will shift at full price. Any maths experts around that could confirm that?
snow conditions
Basically not enough pixies buy skis and/or there aren't enough pixies. While ski manufacturers have the moulds they may as well press for smaller sizes given having a surplus of pixie skis knocking about doesn't hurt their main sizes but in the longer term it means they just stop producing moulds in those sizes so pixie ski choice is reduced.
snow report
184cm Dynastar 97 2.0.
Just an amazing ski!! Go test it
latest report
Charliee wrote:
184cm Dynastar 97 2.0.
Just an amazing ski!! Go test it

That ski got a great review on the SCGB tests - came out top.

http://youtube.com/v/IsH9NIWIwqQ

Gets generally good reviews elsewhere too, but not hyped quite so much as the above review
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Probably was think 90mm under foot rather than nearer 100mm
snow conditions
I think any of your original shortlist would be just fine. Unless you actually get to test them yourself, I don't think you're going to be able to differentiate them any further from all the internet reviews. Even if someone else has skied all 3, it will be their personal preference too. So just pick the one that appeals most and enjoy! They're all going to perform.
latest report
Only just seen this but check out a shop called Sail and Ski in Chester. Some keen prices on a variety of skis.

www.sailandski.co.uk.

May just be Bank Holiday deals though rolling eyes
snow report
Like you, I was toying with getting an All Mountain ski....my current skis (Atomic 11.20s) were bought in 03 and were what passed as a Freeride ski, back then (107 70 98 )...so I felt something wider might make life easier.

After an awful lot of research, I narrowed it down to Scott The Ski and Blizzard Brahma. According to the feedback, The Ski is a more relaxed ride, whereas the Brahmas have more of a "Race Lab" feel.

It was my intention to test both during next years holiday, but despite these admiral intentions, when some of the Scotts came up for sale at £280 including bindings, I just couldn't resist.

I would expect The Ski to be easier to handle, more playful, with better float in powder and slightly easier in moguls; whereas the Brahmas will be more stable and better frontside carvers, but will need more concentration at the helm....a bit like my old X Screams vs 11.20s.
snow report
Any views on Nordics Nrgy 90
snow conditions
I had a quick run on a pair of Salomon X-drive 8.8's which seemed to tick the all mountain box. Cham 97's are also on my list and the likely option.
ski holidays
So today's my birthday and apparently snow and Rock will be elivering shiny new atomic vantage 90 skis with atomic ffg bindings Very Happy Very Happy for around £300 after a 10% voucher code. Now the long summer wait till I can use them.
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
Good for me as mine are just a little busted after many seasons of abuse... that means I should be able to grab a steal somewhere this summer!

This is the successor http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/K2-Ikonic-85Ti-Skis---MXC-12-2016-29105.html#SID=8744 at £290"in sale
snow conditions
flangesax wrote:

This is the successor http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/K2-Ikonic-85Ti-Skis---MXC-12-2016-29105.html#SID=8744 at £290"in sale
ski holidays
Shiny new skis arrived today 😄
snow conditions
I've had a pair of the K2 Amp Rictor 90 XTi's for the last two seasons. They were recommended to me by a mountain guide and have been fantastic. Interestingly several other mountain guides I skied with or met last season were also using them. As already mentioned they have been discontinued and replaced by the Ikonic but if you search you can still get hold of them at a discount. They are a firm ski up until the rocker so good for carving on piste and for powering through crud, but beyond the rocker they are soft to give good lift in the powder.
They go anywhere. I ended up skiing on them out of preference all season last year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy