Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heli-boarding Banff

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So we took the plunge and booked up for March 2017, 2 weeks in Banff and wanted some advice on some heli-action in early March. We arrive on the 4th and hope to book something for 9th to give us a few days to warm up the legs and maybe even have a half day off. I'd like to book early to avoid disappointment and found rkheliski who seem reputable. What should we consider before booking, is this a good time generally and how 'expert' is expert in their guide range? We're competent off-piste and can ride most type of terrain but we don't want too steep, drops and tight couloirs. Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never been to Banff, so cannot comment on the conditions in early March. But I have heli-skied 10+ times in Whistler with different operators. In Whistler at least, the time of year was no indication of how good the snow would be.

It is good to see a range of skill levels on offer, as most of the Whistler operations used say "If you can ski a blue run you can heli ski", which technically might be the case, but doesn't bode well if there is deep powder. Generally Expert means Expert, so I would go for Advanced, unless you are going as a group and will fill a helicopter by yourselves, so can ski at your own level.

The main advantage of heli-skiing is the choice of terrain. For example Whistler has 8000 acres, but Whistler Heli-Ski has 400,000 plus acres to play with. So instead of two mountains, they have multiple mountain ranges to find good snow on.

Booking in advance generally results in a discount, and refunds are generally available. If they are shutdown due to weather you will either get a refund or a free move to another day.

You also need to decide if you are going for the experience of heli-skiing, or if you will only go if there is powder snow. Typically they will get a lot of walk in bookings if conditions are spectacular, so booking in advance will get you a place.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rkheli are a day trip operator for tourists like you so I wouldn't be worried about expert being too expert. The main issue will be pace and that will depend on the skill levels in your group which will be luck of the draw.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go for it! My son did a day with RKHeliski this February whilst on the Level 2 snowboarding Instructors course at Lake Louise, and said it was his best ever day boarding.
They bus you out to Panorama and depart from a lodge there into the Purcell mountains. If you have good visibility then the options are huge, but even on a cloudy day the company found fabulous terrain. They will gear the runs to clients' abilities. David wouldn't hesitate to go again.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah RK have been in the business a long time. There will be other operators around or within driving distance; they're broadly all trained the same with mostly the same safety standards. Check what the various operators deliver and how much the charge for it.

Whistler snow is nothing like Banff snow.

Check, but you can generally book in advance and so long as they get 24 hours notice cancellation is no issue. Book towards the start of your trip in case they cancel you because of poor snow/ weather. That way you have other chances to re-book. Cancellation is not charged by most operators (check their policy).

You're not going to find experts in public daily-heli. They can't fly people they don't know anywhere where they may delay the rest of the group or be hard to rescue. So you'll not get into serious trees or anything technical, irrespective of conditions. Talk to their operations manager about what you want and what you've done before. If they're on it, they'll try to work out something that works for you. It can be hard to tell as different nationalities have different modesty levels when they describe their ability. By the time they make that first turn you know what you're dealing with, but by then it's too late. So if you buy a 4 run package the first run will be a meadow so they can take you home easily if you can't turn (it happens, a lot). Strong tourists will knock off a handful of runs pretty quickly, so you may want to check the extra run charges in advance.

I've ridden helis in April before now and if you like that kind of snow you can do a lot of vertical (because the days are long). March is pretty much peak season. Check prices at non-daily operators and you'll see that their prices peak then for those reasons

(edit) "best ever day "- yeah, it's surprisingly common to hear people say that without prompting.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done daily heli with Whistler Heli and the full multi-day lodge experience with Mica Heli Guides and I think you've had good advice in this thread.

I enjoyed the day with Whistler Heli a lot. It was my first time in a helicopter and there is something special about be dropped on top of a mountain by heli. We were in the "top" group and were among the best skiers. The skiing was good but undemanding - big open bowls, moderate angles. I think we did 3 longish runs. Good stuff. There were blue run type skiers enjoying the day too - in different groups.

But if I'd done it after going to Mica I'd have been rather disappointed. That was a totally different experience - much faster moving, much longer days, steeper (45 degrees at times), tight trees, pillow lines, etc. If you weren't an experienced off piste skier you would have been stuffed. We were skiing with some Austrian guys (one with a sponsorship) and a couple of staff from the office who were filling empty spaces (January). We were the weakest skiers but managed to hang on Very Happy Towards the end of the trip one of the Austrians asked how come we could ski coming from England? One of my better complements Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi thanks for the replies. I have had a quote already $1048 Canadian bucks which I feel is a tad expensive. I'm guessing this will increase closer to the season, though no mention of an earlybird discount. With regards to skill levels, if we wanted to go a step up from the tourist heliski day, what could we find and how much are we looking at? Does this even exist?

We've been going off-piste for years but not had serious pow for a few years now as we've been unlucky with the weather. Luckily though most of us have ridden in knee deep pow and myself and another waist deep pow in Chamonix which was so effin amazing words fail to describe it. I want that again but with a degree of challenge as the day progresses. It sounds like something inbetween what @jedster, experienced on the 2 trips in Whistler.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy