Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best ski for a season to improve on

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Next season I have 11 weeks in France to really improve my skiing.

I currently ski Atomic Advantage Alibis at 95 MM underfoot. They are fantastic for my 1/2 weeks a year but I have a feeling that I need something a bit more piste orientated to maximise my potential to improve all aspects of my skiing.

I would welcome views on suitable sks and width.

I wil be keeping the Alibis as a free ride ski for softer / off piste conditions.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

James
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry, meant theory ski not alibi.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can't go wrong with Head Titans for improving on piste and they are half decent off piste too, especially when you get better.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowHeads @eyregs snowHead

IMO, the ultimate piste-only ski is a race ski. They also tend to be fairly unforgiving and so force U to up your game and ski better Wink
A few years back, I 'transitioned' to off-piste and as I did so my skis naturally got wider (and wider). I thought, at that time, that the piste was now something that no longer held interest to me.
Then someone lent me his brand new GS skis - wow! The edge, the grip, the resultant g-forces and the erm... stability at speed! The piste became a whole new playground snowHead
I figured though, GS would be fine, if I could rely on having the piste to myself but that's rarely the case so when acquiring my own piste skis for keeps, I went for some SL's.
Super turny, super grippy - stiff as u like - if there's one thing I can rely on it's that, if they're not holding an edge, it's my fault, not the skis Confused Hence, they train me to ski better. Being SL rather than GS, the turns are tighter and the speeds that bit lower hence more suited to places where the randonimities of the general public come into play.

As for specific models - I have a pair of Kneissl Whitestar SL's but they're not really available to buy at the moment. However, after testing all the mainstream brands' SL's at the SIGB ski test a couple of seasons ago, I rated the Atomic Redster SL way above the others and so also have a pair of those now.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I recommend Salomon xrace 175s with 15m radius or GS Nordkca for something for a bit more speed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
admin wrote:

IMO, the ultimate piste-only ski is a race ski. They also tend to be fairly unforgiving and so force U to up your game and ski better Wink

I find full on race skis too much of a 1 trick pony for my liking. They're great if the piste is firm and there are no moguls and you're in the mood and not tired, but they certainly wouldn't be my choice for a 2 ski quiver. Personally I'd want something a bit more versatile and forgiving as an everyday ski. That's why I mentioned the Head Titans, they're almost standard issue among instructors and trainee instructors at our resort - but I have to admit that conditions are usually on the soft side, so a slightly wider piste oriented ski does help when the pistes get chopped up. I'd consider the Head Magnums too, but I wouldn't go any more racy than that myself.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scott Black Magic
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:
Scott Black Magic

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'd go for too as a piste focused carving ski. From the description on Edge & Wax, they sound a lot like my Movement Le Fers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
3 ski quiver

Firm conditions
General edgeable/variable
Big days

You seem to be missing both 1 and 3

I went for a borrowed Blizzard Magnum 8.0Ti for the firm. They held their own particularly bumping as I was probably running them a little short.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dynastar Powertrack or maybe one of the Dynastar Omeglass S Fluid or Omeglass Speed Fluid
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:
Scott Black Magic

Fell in love with these on the EoSB - brilliant skis
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@eyregs,

A. How well do you think you ski?

B. all the manufacturers make a race oriented range that's a bit softer, wider underfoot, more forgiving etc.

Something like that might work.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The OP wrote:
I have a feeling that I need something a bit more piste orientated to maximise my potential to improve all aspects of my skiing.
Note: the recommendations that are specifically disagreeing with me are talking about skis that are 'versatile' or 'forgiving' - these are not traits that will maximise potential. I ski SL's on hardpack with ease and challenge myself to get it right on boilerplate. I was throwing them around like excited puppies in the 9AM ice=>10:30 soft=>Early PM shallow slush=>Late PM deep slush of the EoSB last week. I rode them down the cascades moguls too.
And best of all, when they weren't 'forgiving' enough for a particular situation, I had no option but to raise my game!
And if I ain't got game enough - I get a lesson Wink
This IMHO is how to maximise potential - not by picking a mid-performance ski that will make life easy as long as you don't push it too hard.
What I've learnt on-piste on my SL's has transformed my off-piste skiing, without question!

Furthermore, IMV the "instructors' standard issue" argument counts for little wrt this spec - Instructors don't tend to ride around every day on skis that will maximise their potential. They use skis that will give them an easy ride while demoing technique at low speeds... different context.

True there are other types of ski that would suit most people far better because they are easier, more versatile, more forgiving, more relaxing etc. but taking the spec as it stands, that's not what the OP is asking for.

@under a new name's questions are valid though - depending on how you currently ski, an SL may be a step too far: an SC (or similar) may be more appropriate.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well he did actually say he needed something a bit more piste orientated to improve all aspects of his skiing so I'm sticking with my recommendation not to go for a full on race SL ski.

As for instructors using Head Titans, Magnums and the like (which are not exactly lacking in performance on piste IME) I've had quite a few conversations with various instructors about what type of ski to use for instructor training courses (CSIA L2) and these are invariably the sort of skis they recommend. They are far from just a ski to give an "easy ride" while demoing technique. Now if you are telling me you can over-power a pair of Head Titans and need something far more aggressive to "maximise your potential" then I take my hat off to you!

I guess we have a different idea about what "maximising your potential" actually means. If we're talking about race training then yes I'd agree with you 100%. But I didn't get the impression that was the OP's aim here. But anyway he now has 2 different opposing viewpoints to chew over.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@admin, we really must ski together next season!
latest report

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 29-04-16 9:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
No doubt SL skis are a hoot but they are the very opposite of versatile and while race clubs will happily train kids to ski anywhere on GD skis IMV for anyone not looking to prove a point will get more out of a ski you can pivot in bumps, release the tail occasionally etc.

And in the case of my diddy SL skis something lighter ( like a 2 m 120mm POW ski)
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
Now if you are telling me you can over-power a pair of Head Titans and need something far more aggressive to "maximise your potential" then I take my hat off to you!

This x 1,000

I spent all of the EoSB on a new pair of Titans and was never disappointed. For comparison, I had been skiing my Kneissl Redstar RC earlier in the season, and I found the Titans to be much more versatile. I missed the Redstars when I was doing fast long turns on an empty groomed piste, but in all other circumstances I was happy with the Titans.

I also got my Titans cheap in the Ellis Brigham sale, so you might get lucky and find some at a good price.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy