Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

aosta valley

Poster: A snowHead
Hi ,
Heading to Aosta next year and stuck with what airport to fly into.
Would be looking some sort of public transport option or at least a half sensible transfer price (£600 was the last quote from GVA!)
Can get to Geneva , Bergamo or Linate
cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can you rent a car and drive? If you book hire cars far enough in advance they can be really cheap.

I did Geneva to Cervinia the other week - it's a really easy journey (unless you hit some traffic at the Mont Blanc tunnel) and really pretty too. Think, with tolls, hire car cost and petrol it was about £220 (in a Fiesta).

To Cervinia it was about 2.5 hours, to Aosta it would be more like 2 hours, plus you can stop off at Chamonix for lunch or something on the way if you fancy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cant do that as im going to stay a few weeks , also why im keen to keep the costs down , im not in a mad hurry to get there so i dont mind if a bus takes 5 hours as long as its a realistic price.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are buses from Linate to Milan Central Station, train stops in the towns along the valley, local bus up to resort.

There is also this but not from the airports you mention.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cheers , having a look at the websites now , train seems several changes but bus looks ok from Linate , i think thats the one i might go for.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@hawkwind, www.rome2rio.com
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name,
Thats a deadly website , very helpful
Have booked to Linate on way over and found a reasonable flight from Turin for the way back
Thanks for help Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hawkwind, try to avoid the trains if you can, they are more expensive and it can be difficult to navigate the changes if you aren't familiar. the buses are much faster, easier, cheaper and direct.

if you do take the trains, don't forget to stamp your ticket before you board
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I cant tell you how long the other night i searched for that website. Thanks so much for posting, apologies for being off topic but wanted to add my thanks Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's great isn't it? Might not get the solution but points in right direction...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I flew to Milan Malpensa Airport last month, Aosta is easy 2.5 hours drive away. If you can fly to Torino, it is even closer, I believe there is a train (and bus) service running between Torino and Aosta.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Isn't Turin closer? I went to Chamaluc in January and hired a car from the airport (in advance). Just about 1 1/2 hours, nearly all the way on motorway. The cost of the car for the week was cheaper than any of the quoted transfers. Also had the advantage of using it to visit Turin on the return Saturday as I had an evening flight.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why are the quoted transfers so expensive? Surely a gap in the market for someone to offer lifts via bla bla car or if staying a season do a few runs on a weekend for beer money.
I got quoted £600 for a 2 hour journey!

anyways
I cant hire a car as im going for several weeks so happy to save using public transport and take my time
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hawkwind, it started out with seasonaires ( mainly, ski bums) offering a "spare" seat in their old banger for beer/food money, but it got increasingly difficult due to more regulations and insurance issues, these same people would often be outside dicks tea bar in meribel in the 90's offering taxi services to pissed up holidaymakers at 4am (gendarmes soon got wind of it).

that is why there has been a rapid expansion of legit transfer companies taking over to a certain degree the flexibility bus/coach/train operators could not offer.

if I was going out on my own, I would a transfer co, but 2 or more people for a week away and it makes sense (and cheaper) to hire a car.

there always used to be fellow showheads looking/offering spare seats for the "company", this way there is no problem with hire and reward, but you then take your chances on the driving skills of complete strangers
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@hawkwind, the GVA bus transfer is 50 euro. It takes you to Courmayeur and then you take the local SAVDA bus to Aosta which is about 2 or 3 euro
snow conditions
@hawkwind, Turin is the best place to fly into most certainly. Car hire from there is inexpensive and can be done on one of the comparison sites quite easily. I was out in Courmayeur, La Thuile, Aosta, and Champoluc for a week or so earlier this season, very straight forward from Turin on the motorway,and easy to get around once you have a base. Lovely ski areas, but not a lot in term of single resort mileage. La Thuile has best skiing, Courmayeur has good atmosphere/food/hotels, Champoluc is quieter midweek and great value on the mountain, and Aosta has link to Pila and is an interesting medieval town. Good choice!
snow conditions
Thanks again folks , can understand the seasonaires running a few folk they met over a week to the airport for a small fee but running a taxi service just takes the pi$$ , so as usual greed spoiling a good thing!

Just crazy people pay hundreds of pounds for a relatively short trip , obv money not an issue.
snow report
Try http://www.aostaexpress.com/. Good reputation, decent price, runs at regular intervals from Geneva.
ski holidays
@hawkwind, Aosta isn't really that sort of place though - you won't find many "seasonnaires" as such there. Can I ask, have you been before? Just that some people have mentioned car rental, and if you can do it cheaply I wouldn't rule it out because it's somewhere I'd say is hard enough to get around without a car
ski holidays
If I was going to Aosta for 5 weeks I would drive out so that I had the use of the car when I was there.

How much would a Rosslare - Cherbourg crossing cost ?
snow report
@rjs, it's about 100 euro including cabin. But when you include petrol, tolls, winter tyres, potential overnight somewhere it becomes quite expensive. think he said he's booked his flights already too
snow conditions
Yeah flights booked.
Car would have been great but was too expensive as said above , plus it would be a worry would it make it over Smile
latest report
@hawkwind, have you been to Aosta before? It's quite a lot larger than a resort (about 130k)
snow conditions
No never been , booked into the "old town" , it looks spectacular.
As its a longer stay we hope to save money by staying in the town and get the best of both worlds.
My understanding is we get lockers at the gondola and walk 15 mins to get there followed by a 20 min ride up the mountain.
Really looking forward to it , AFAIK we also get to visit other resorts on the Pila lift pass that are well served by public bus
ski holidays
@hawkwind, it's a great place. yeah, you'll be fine without a car once you get lockers - it's too far to walk with skis and boots
snow report
@hawkwind, There are regular buses from Aosta to Courmayuer and rtn, we used them earlier this year, and I guess to La Thulle etc. also saw the bus to Milan at Courmayuer bus station. Wish I could do a few weeks, very envious of you Very Happy
snow conditions
@hawkwind, there are at least 2 mos excellent restaurants for good value steaks. Of course, I can't recall the names...

I thought I'd posted earlier: no-one afaik is based in Aosta (or the valley) running transfers so all quoted prices are simply taxi fares, hence the high price. Cham Express, who has a clouded reputation around Chamonix, has clearly spotted a potential hole in the market (a hole I am uncnvinced about but that's not my business so my analysis has no weight).

The independant transfer market has grown hand in hand with the independant accommodation and lo-co flight market. What @terrygasson suggests may reflect Val d'espair, but isn't what I observed in Morzine f'r instance.
snow report
@under a new name, Im looking at xfers into Cervinia for next season. Should we steer clear of CHamexpress ??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimottaret, I've had loads of friends use the Aosta Express without any issue (there isn't really another option anyway). You know it only goes to Courmayeur though? You need to continue on with SAVDA
latest report
@moseyp, thanks thats good to hear. I hadn't looked in detail yet re the cervinia link.. will do
snow report
@skimottaret, would you consider renting a car?
snow conditions
probably not as we will be taking groups out..
ski holidays
Aosta Express also goes to and from La Thuile.
snow report
@skimottaret, oh right. if you don't have to fly GVA I'd look into the airports at Milan or Turin - you might find it a bit easier to get to Cervinia from there

@LOTA, that's true but La Thuile is in a different direction, you'd have to get an additional bus back to Pré Saint Didier if you took the Aosta Express there
snow report
@moseyp, would you be able to recommend any xfer companies out of Milan or Turin. last i checked a few years ago, nothing available
latest report
@skimottaret, sorry I don't have any personal experience with transfer companies because I usually drive, bus or train but if you try Cervinia tourist office they will help you with transfers from the Italian airports. For the bus it's all very simple - here's the Milan to Cervinia timetable http://www.savda.it/public/documenti/175.pdf and here's Turin http://www.savda.it/public/documenti/176.pdf

If I'm not driving, I find the bus is brilliant (I live in Aosta). It's cheap and easy, much better than the trains. Also if you don't speak Italian, they all speak French.
latest report
@skimottaret, I don't want to speak ill of someone I have no direct experience of. Maybe worth talking to directly?

My impression was that they run from Geneva which wouldn't be my first choise for Aoste.
latest report
@moseyp, cheers good info!
@under a new name, GVA has so so many more flight and transfer options and we find invariably it works out best overall rather than other airports but I will dig further..
snow report
@skimottaret, fair point at least re flights.
latest report
@moseyp, dunno about from Turin, but getting from Malpensa to an Aosta resort via bus to the Gnarly bash last month proved cheap but v faffy. Malpensa 2 to Malp 1, Malp 1 to Milan city centre on train, then a metro to the bus station, where the bus to Aosta goes from, only a few of which go direct to resort...Fortunately admin heard of our plight and collected us in the dub-bus Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy