Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on first Ski purchase

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all , would appreciate some pointers on buying my first set of skis.
Based in Ireland so no places i can test them easily so buying online.
Spending 6 weeks in resort next year so cheaper to buy than rent.

I am 5ft 6 and weight 200lbs
I would be a comfortable 7 on the ski ability chart on http://www.insideoutskiing.com/level.html and hope to improve my carving and general skiing this year.
I have only ever skied on piste but am keen to go outside the lines but mainly piste.
I enjoy a bit of speed on a empty slope but like to feel lots of control.

Anyhows any advice on what to buy appreciated

So far i have two in mind , the Volkl RTM 75is or Salomon X-Drive 8 and am supposing 170ish length but very open to suggestion.

Dont want to get too hung up on it , as long as its close enough it will beat a hire ski and be cheaper and as long as i enjoy and improve my skiing i can make a much better informed choice after this trip with much more experience.

tyia
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi there from a fellow Irishman (NI).

You could go to S&R in Dublin and discuss your needs with them....a friendly helpful bunch they are too.

My hunch would be to wait until you get to the resort and find a shop with a decent range, that will let you demo some...demos shouldn't cost much if you end up buying from them.

If you are interested in trying off piste, you should try an All Mountain ski, that is piste orientated, from the likes of Blizzard (Brahma is getting a lot of love ATM), Kastle, Stockll and Volkl. If you want something more relaxed, look at Scott The Ski.

If going with a piste ski, I think your choices look OK, but haven't tried them...maybe add Head i Supershape Magnum.

It is very tempting to get something at a discount from the likes of Glisshop or Ekosport...but it comes at the risk of buying blind.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag,
Cheers , am heading to S&R for boots in the coming weeks so maybe ill wait until then and your right the temptation of Ekosport is what started this Smile
Its a long way off so no hurry Smile
Also from NI , Belfast
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gradually, all our shops in NI have shut, with Mac Ski being the latest victim....dealt with John (and Des) since the 80s.

Which resort are you going to, as there might be a known boot fitter there....S&R in Dublin have lost some staff, including a good boot fitter....their current Tech Guy (Tony) seemed to know his stuff, but Boot Fitting is an Art.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is that Pascal? I was hoping to make an appointment and get down in the next month or two, i really need a decent fitting as no boots ever fit so hope he hasnt gone!
Yeah pity about MacSki , i only got into it when i turned 40 several years ago and he was closing down when i was ready to buy boots and he had none left in my size Sad
Im going to Pila in Aosta.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm afraid that Pascal left there a while ago.

I would post a question about Boot Fitters in Pila....chances are, you will get an answer, as there is an amazing breadth of knowledge on here....you should get a deal if buying boots and skis from the same place.

The Blizzard Brahmas are improved for 2017, bringing them up to the spec of the Bonafide, with the use of Carbon: http://www.epicski.com/t/146744/2017-blizzard-brahma-review
This ski would be on my "must try" list.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah your kidding , i met someone this year who told me he was the man for the boots so had saved a few quid up and was waiting for time off to get down!
Yeah ill do a few posts on here for sure , real wealth of information , the folk over on Boards.ie are good too.
Im counting down the days already , i think im addicted
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hawkwind, I would most definitely avoid S&R - go to Technosport in Aosta for boot fitting and skis, you'll get the best value and expertise there by a mile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy