Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Power supply in Haute Route huts?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're doing the haute route soon and I'd quite like to take my little garmin gps to track the route. The battery on it is reasonable but i doubt it would last the whole trip. Just wondering what the chances were of finding a power socket at one or two of these huts. Obviously they're fairly well established as far as huts go but I'm not sure quite how far that stretches. Huts we've used on other trips have been pretty well equipped but perhaps weren't quite so remote.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes - they almost all have power - some of the swiss ones charge for it of course. Also depends on which route you are doing Verbier vs Plateau de Couloir.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just take a small power pack to charge it off if in doubt.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.

...or get a GPS that uses replaceable batteries.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Something like this would work - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01422TC14/ref=twister_B01170V276?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

.or get a GPS that uses replaceable batteries.

I thought that was one of the key selling points for a proper GPS, as opposed to phone apps. That and their much greater ability to stand up to bad weather, being dropped, etc.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Note that Swiss plugs aren't French. So if you're using a GB plug, you may need two converters once you get to Switzerland: GB>FR and FR>CH
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For an unearthed device the adapters that fit French plugs also fit Swiss plugs. The 2-pins plugs are the same, it's only the 3-pin ones that are different.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

For an unearthed device the adapters that fit French plugs also fit Swiss plugs.

This is not always the case. There are (at least) two types of Swiss sockets - flat and recessed. Standard French (or German/Austrian) adapters fit the flat sockets (without the earth being connected) but do not fit the recessed sockets.

I was caught out by this last time I went to Switzerland and have now bought a separate Swiss adapter.

My guess is that the recessed sockets are intentionally designed so that French/German earthed plugs don't fit in at all, rather than fitting but having no earth connection (standard continental 2 pin plugs do fit them). I would not be surprised if the recessed sockets are now installed as standard, whereas older ones are likely to be flat.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having just survived the haute route, there's no power (or running water) in vingnettes or bertol huts, but it depends upon your routing there's different options. There's loads of snow, more than normal though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As a fellow member of @captainslow's team, I politely correct Happy that there was power in the Bertol, but only for a short while after dinner and via an extension cord that required a Swiss plug or flat euro plug. I got about 30mins charge before bed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gämsbock, you kept that quiet! Was it when we were playing I the snow?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@captainslow, I think we might have found the sockets whilst you and Ronald were digging a snow corridor, yes Happy. The power to them didn't actually come on till about 8pm though. Not sure where you were then!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Probably at dinner with you, not sure though, was pretty tired by that point.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@el nombre, sorry we're digressing but a battery that you can charge from and then recharge when you can is really useful and probably worth the weight.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy