Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Often Do You Ski?

Poster: A snowHead
A day or two. I smile on both, unless I don't.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Since we bought a place its been 25-30 days made up of 3 longish weeks and a long weekend. That's about the limit I can manage within my holiday allowance while still having time for a proper summer holiday or doing more weekends. Summer holiday is non-negotiable for my wife and to be honest more weekends would become too tiring for the kids given homework, their other activities etc.

I expect we will base ourselves in the Alps for the winter when the kids leave home and/or I retire.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

we are currently between weeks 9 and 10. I have a normal 9-5 job, plus a bit of flexi-time.

I'm impressed!
Mind you - stretching the definition of normal to get 9-10 weeks off in a normal job!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:

This year has been a little disappointing on weather at the weekends so I haven't counted.

Shitty weather on around2/3rd of the weekends, one of the joys of working in the alps is you realize the best weather is always during the week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maybe 70-80 I guess, probably do about another 10-15 in cham and on summer glaciers before the start of next season Smile

gona try and get a couple of days on snow every month this year....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just been through my Strava diary where I log most activities, but maybe not all piste / lift skiing sessions.
Slack country is where we go off the back of the resort into other valleys and then skin back up into resort.

We only tend to ski when conditions are worth it (fresh snow to be had or good spring snow).

Dec
9 ski days (Xmas family etc & friends shite snow conditions)
2 hikes
3 bike rides

Jan
8 touring / slack country
11 skis

Feb
6 ski tours
1 ride
9 skis

March
13 ski tours / slack country
10 skis
2 rides

April
4 rides
6 ski tours / slack country
3 skis
5 hikes

So number of ski touring days almost the same as using lifts rolling eyes

But April has been a big let down, where I would have hoped to be out on the bike more and done more touring Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Learnt to ski on plastic in the 1980's and started skiing in Scotland as many weekends as possible, including taking pupils from the school where I taught. First trip abroad at Easter 1989 and the family had to go back and summer ski in Tignes that year. Continued fitting in 1 week Christmas/New Year and 1 week Easter plus summer skiing each year for many years. Then added a week of school ski trip (did that for 20 years) and long weekends. When I started judging freestyle that was extra long weekends and now as I am retired I get about 6 weeks each winter somewhere abroad, probably 1.5 - 2 weeks of that will be 'work skiing' i.e. judging so the actual time skiing is limited to before and after the competition. Still fit in the odd day in Scotland (live in Edinburgh) when snow and weather are good mid-week.
I haven't been on plastic since I retired 7 years ago although I can see Hillend from my house. I was at Hillend almost every week during school terms running the school ski club for over 20 years so can give that a miss...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow wrote:
For 8 of the past 10 winters it's been around 100 days on Hokkaido, with the odd day in the Brecon Beacons pre- and post-Hokkaido if I'm lucky.

Instructing pays for that skiing.

This season my girlfriend Nerys couldn't make it out to Japan, so I came home early and skied with her and skied solo in Europe.

5 days in the Brecon Beacons National Park, Wales

How on earth did you manage that this season?

I didn't think we had any days with enough snow lying to be worth trying to ski on. Although we could see some on the tops, I never thought it was that deep.

We only had one morning with any lying snow where we are, and it is very unusual to have that little.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not enough this season due to work and weather, I guess around 50 days? Will ski around another 10 days before the end of this season (late June), then probably another 10 or so in the Autumn depending on conditions. Only had 3 or 4 proper powder days this season though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mrs MA and I both work full time but generally get 30-45 days on snow between November glacier skiing in the Alps and June ski touring in Scotland. We supplement that with summer skiing (not included in our winter total) - usually in Tignes but we've also lashed out on a couple of southern hemisphere winter trips (Chile and Australia) in past years.

We'll ski anywhere and wherever we can - we're very easily pleased so boost our number of days with trips to the Scotland and the (ahem) resorts of the North Pennines.

Our record was 61 days in the bumper winter of 2012-13 - we managed 19 days in the Pennines and 16 in Scotland that season - from early Nov ski touring at Glenshee to ski touring the Ciste Gully at Cairngorm on 30th June.

This winter we're up to 36 days (inc 9 powder days Very Happy) - with more Scotland skiing to come, hopefully into June:

- Alps - 14 days
- BC Rockies - 10 days
- North Pennines - 4 days
- Scotland - 8 days
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alex_heney wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
For 8 of the past 10 winters it's been around 100 days on Hokkaido, with the odd day in the Brecon Beacons pre- and post-Hokkaido if I'm lucky.

This season my girlfriend Nerys couldn't make it out to Japan, so I came home early and skied with her and skied solo in Europe.

Didn't you see the Brecon thread?

Take a look and form your own opinion.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=121689
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Xmas & New Year weeks
Feb half term
First week of Easter
2 x 3 day week3ends
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One week per year, very occasionally 2

Constraint is a mixture of holiday allowance (5-weeks), funding and holidays with family at other times of year. As such will typically be:

Summer - 2 weeks
Easter/Xmas - 1 week skiing
May/Feb/Oct half-terms - long weekends in UK
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm amazed at how many of you get so many days in!

I should also add that when we do go up the hill it's only for three or so hours.

I dread it when friends come out and they want to ski all the hours of the day!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

No, I missed that. I'll have a look at it later (can't see the photos in work).
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
davidof wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

There are some videos too, I'm sure you'll find them interesting. I can't see that stuff at work either but I'm sick at home today.
snow report
Three weeks or so and have been steady at that from the time I learned to ski at age 30. I was lucky enough to be able to hit all the major European resorts.

Now at 68 and retired on a sailboat in the Eastern Caribbean I still ski for 3 weeks based either in Salt lake City or Summit County Colorado.

I hope to keep going as long as my knees allow.
snow conditions
alex_heney wrote:
davidof wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Could have had double that except I was in Georgia when these pics were taken in mid-January.

Scott Hunter

And it's looking promising for the end of this week Smile

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcjx1v0vs#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1426896000
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
davidof wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Could have had double that except I was in Georgia when these pics were taken in mid-January.

Scott Hunter

And it's looking promising for the end of this week Smile

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcjx1v0vs#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1426896000

And I have just booked to have summer tyres put back on for Wednesday Smile
snow report
davidof wrote:
under a new name wrote:

This year has been a little disappointing on weather at the weekends so I haven't counted.

Shitty weather on around2/3rd of the weekends, one of the joys of working in the alps is you realize the best weather is always during the week.

Also this season we did get snow on three or was it four Saturday's which caused a fair amount of mayhem - and Sat's being a transfer day meant that resort was quieter than usual Cool
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Quote:

we are currently between weeks 9 and 10. I have a normal 9-5 job, plus a bit of flexi-time.

I'm impressed!
Mind you - stretching the definition of normal to get 9-10 weeks off in a normal job!

I did say it was exceptional circumstances this year. I only skied one day last year (crap day on the glacier) due to hip surgery. The time off work associated with the surgery meant I accumulated leave. So I am continuing to cash it in this year. Normally it is around 7 weeks in France and a few days in Glencoe.
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

Also this season we did get snow on three or was it four Saturday's which caused a fair amount of mayhem - and Sat's being a transfer day meant that resort was quieter than usual Cool

but not just snow but a lot of low cloud, mixed weather, poor viz, Grenoble has poorer winter weather in general than Briançon. In the winter of 2015, 331 hours of sun compared to 525 for Briançon.

Personally, skiing in fog or a whiteout, no thanks, not if I can help it.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
............Personally, skiing in fog or a whiteout, no thanks, not if I can help it.............

+1 on that though will ski the trees when it's snowing, and seemed to do a lot of that this season!

OH is even worse in that she does not like skiing when it's snowing!

So I keep telling her not much point in considering Japan Toofy Grin
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

+1 on that though will ski the trees when it's snowing, and seemed to do a lot of that this season!

Yes trees, fair enough. Just looking at the photo album, if we hadn't gone out in some indifferent weather we would hardly have skied at all!

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMf6YLrT_VLTnvpT_qxnAheXiexjiCHqsT5Z48r

but no whiteouts, I've skied enough, even in the trees Happy.
ski holidays
Managed 18 days this season, which was as much as funds/time off work allowed. Will aim to match that next season but depends on whether I can get away at Christmas again or not. Christmas Day falling on a transfer day might be what spoils it as I suspect package deals and rentals will be extended to 10 days instead and the price will go up.
ski holidays
12 days Alps
3 dayslake district
4 days north Pennines
2 days Glencoe

Fairly poor given that Raise has managed 40 days this year and Glencoe has had another excellent year. Unfortunately sometimes, life gets in the way of skiing. Mad
latest report
...actually I have a second take on this thread...

....how often do you ski...

...for about 10 mins before I go to sleep every night, doing a bit of imagined skiing, concentrating on a bit of technique...

...and the same if I wake too early or in the middle of the night.

It's not too mad to do this, it's part of keeping the technique together even when not on the hill.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/imagery.htm

some may class it as hocus pocus but it's quite well established in sports as varied as tennis and F1
snow conditions
Been an absolute disaster this year.

Did the ski test at CFe then nothing for a few months till a couple of hours at CFe ( still have most of the vouchers I got at the ski show ).

Very lucky I did not book on a bash as no way I could have gone, and just hoping eyesight is ok for 2-3 days at Kaprun beginning of June, if not it is going to be really depressing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
davidof wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

There are some videos too, I'm sure you'll find them interesting. I can't see that stuff at work either but I'm sick at home today.

Definitely interesting.

A bit beyond my ability, skiing that gully. Smile
latest report
valais2 wrote:
...actually I have a second take on this thread...

....how often do you ski...

...for about 10 mins before I go to sleep every night, doing a bit of imagined skiing, concentrating on a bit of technique...

...and the same if I wake too early or in the middle of the night.

It's not too mad to do this, it's part of keeping the technique together even when not on the hill.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/imagery.htm

some may class it as hocus pocus but it's quite well established in sports as varied as tennis and F1

I totally agree and I think ski racers were early adopters of this visualisation method. We even used it in race training at Rossendale dry slope back in the mid 80s! A bit OT now, but I introduced this method to our F1 drivers too about 10 years ago and they found it useful too. It makes sense as it's your brain that controls all your real physical movements anyway.
snow conditions
Quick amendment to my tally for April, with one last hurrah for today, and as you can see we scored some nice powder on a good steep face, all be it wind blown Cool

snow report
@faithsdaddy, what kind of fool question was that!!! are you mad! you've unleashed the skiing gods. i'm a mere mortal and have skied once a year. How on earth these guys ski for 20, 30 or 40+ days is beyond me.

although I did sneak in a 4 day trip in March but that only takes me to 10 days on planks Sad

I assume they are either all retired or minted! of course my own unhappy skiing situation would be greatly helped if I'd chosen a wife that liked to ski, listen to me, as if I'd actually had a choice in who I married! I'd never be without her and I still love her to bits after 30 years..................at least that's what she tells me. Toofy Grin
snow report
Well played
snow conditions
Been a poor year for me this year, only 22 days, it's usually more. Two (separate) weeks family holidays, one week SOPiB, one long weekend, and one day on Pen-y-fan. Had to cancel another long weekend due to family illness, or it would have been five days more. In answer to faithsdaddy's question - I manage it by storing up all my annual leave for the winter, and for long weekends I take two days off work for four days of skiing, booking flights and accommodation well in advance to get the best deals.
ski holidays
I've sort of settled into a routine last few years. Thanksgiving long weekend in TAOS (thats late november:).
Christmas week TAOS.
SHBB week arabba feb
Another week arabba late march.
Closing weekend TAOS mid april.
Some years can add a few days in utah.
The ski hills of new jersey and pensylvania are only a 2 hour drive - but a bit depressing to ski.
snow report
gazzaredcruiser wrote:
How on earth these guys ski for 20, 30 or 40+ days is beyond me.

You've just got to work hard to make it happen if it matters enough to you. 10 years ago we were falling into the rut of a single 1 or 2 week trip per year and after a great 10 day trip to Whistler in 2006 I just snapped and said that no way was this anywhere near enough skiing for a whole season! So we bought our own apartment and make a big effort to use it as much as we can around our normal everyday lives in the UK. With 2 small kids, at the moment we usually just do a straight 4 week trip to Canada mid March through to Easter. But going to try getting a couple of extra weeks at Christmas this year now the girls are getting more into it. 6 weeks per season has always been our goal and that feels more like it for me. It helps a lot running our own business and we do get a little bit of work done remotely while out there. When I was employed it was pretty much unacceptable to get more than 2 weeks off consecutively and they used to sulk if I did that twice over the winter. F@*% all that life!
latest report
uktrailmonster wrote:
It helps a lot running our own business

That's the way to do it.
latest report
uktrailmonster wrote:
When I was employed it was pretty much unacceptable to get more than 2 weeks off consecutively and they used to sulk if I did that twice over the winter. F@*% all that life!

And yet it's perfectly acceptable for half the company to take time off at half term or during the summer holidays! I always point that out to people when they moan about how much holiday I have, when they're all doing things with the kids I'm the one holding the fort!
ski holidays
Averaging a shade over 2 weeks a year since starting 14 years ago. Really need to do something about getting that up a bit.
latest report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
When I was employed it was pretty much unacceptable to get more than 2 weeks off consecutively and they used to sulk if I did that twice over the winter. F@*% all that life!

And yet it's perfectly acceptable for half the company to take time off at half term or during the summer holidays! I always point that out to people when they moan about how much holiday I have, when they're all doing things with the kids I'm the one holding the fort!

Exactly, it's just that in the "real" world most employers simply cannot get their head around any kind of holiday that lasts for more than 2 weeks, regardless of the circumstances.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy