Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish ski weekend - this coming bank holiday (Apr 29th-May 2nd)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm planning a little trip to Scotland for the May bank hol as the forecast is looking nice and cold (for the next few days at least) and I think there's already a pretty decent base.
From what I can gather, Glen Coe and Cairngorm are the only resorts still open (and are both planning to stay open til May 2nd).
I'll be coming up from London on the train (probably overnight in one or both directions).
Just trying to work out the pros and cons of each resort in terms of skiing, fairly cheap accommodation (ideally £50 max per night), travelling there from stations etc. I have skied at both before but it's been a while (about 15 years). I do have a driving licence so theoretically could hire a car when there but would rather not.
Any info/advice much appreciated. Also, if anyone fancies coming along too, or meeting up on one of the days, feel free.
Thanks.
N Neige
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @Neil Neige,

I'm planning on driving up from south coast to Glen Coe.

No idea on where rail stations are in relation to skiing but if we're going past I'd be very happy to give you a lift to slopes on Sat am if that helps
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm toying with the idea of a cheeky weekend at Glencoe.

There is a regular bus service between Glasgow and Fort William that stops at Glencoe. Camping is available at the ski resort, otherwise Kings House Hotel is opposite, and Glencoe isn't too far away (but not walkable!!).

Cairngorm has Aviemore as its nearest town. Plenty of accommodation there (and a train station). Not sure how frequent the buses to the ski area are.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here is a link for Glencoe Mountain http://www.glencoemountain.com/location.html giving you the information you need to get to Glencoe and accommodation. For Cairngorm there is a regular bus service from Aviemore with Stagecoach every hour except in the afternoon when schools are on but should be OK when schools are off.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks for all the info.
Good to hear others are similarly tempted! Roger, is that you driving up from south coast of England? If so, wow!
Sounds like Glen Coe preferred over Cairngorm. Presumably for the better/wilder skiing as it seems Cairngorm is easier to get to with more nearby accommodation?
Presumably, Glen Coe suffers more in bad weather (strong winds at least) as Cairngorm has the funicular which I'm guessing is more wind-proof.
The Fort William bus seems pretty frequent (every hour or so) and only takes about 30 mins, so staying there could be an option.
The Kings House Hotel looks reasonable (single rooms for £40/£45) but guessing availability won't be great on a b/h w/e. May ping them an email.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There are also the micro lodges (hobbit houses) at the Glencoe ski centre itself http://www.glencoemountain.com/accommodation.html but probably fully booked for the b/h weekend
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm working n Edinburgh next week until May 2nd but may be able to bet Friday off to drive up to Glencoe. If the weather's good for the day I could be sorely tempted.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check out http://www.winterhighland.info/snowreports/index.php?resort=gc for Glencoe weather conditions, seems it's cold with snow / sunshine all week but a bit windy. Friday shows little or no wind, also check out the detailed 72hr forecast link ( http://www.mwis.org.uk/scottish-forecast/WH ) under the weather icons, it gives a more detailed picture over the following 3 days. I'm heading for the day on Monday, and might go on the Sunday as well if the weather looks good. snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Would Cairngorm or Glencoe stay open after May 2nd if conditions are good. I seem to remember Glencoe being open very late last year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Might seem a daft question.. But, I've never skied or even driven in Scotland further north than Edinburgh.

Would one still require a properly suitable or winterized vehicle to be able to drive up to a ski area in May? Or even to the nearest village/town with access to the areas by bus?

Tempted to try fit in one last hurrah before the end of the season but not sure if driving up in a RWD car on wide summer tyres is sensible, or at worst even possible?!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Would Cairngorm or Glencoe stay open after May 2nd if conditions are good. I seem to remember Glencoe being open very late last year.

I remember Cairngorm was open mid-May a few years ago, as I was tempted to go and ski on my birthday!
As they have a year-round funicular, perhaps it's easier for them to stay open as long as there is snow unlike the other resorts...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowsmog wrote:
Might seem a daft question.. But, I've never skied or even driven in Scotland further north than Edinburgh.

Would one still require a properly suitable or winterized vehicle to be able to drive up to a ski area in May? Or even to the nearest village/town with access to the areas by bus?

Tempted to try fit in one last hurrah before the end of the season but not sure if driving up in a RWD car on wide summer tyres is sensible, or at worst even possible?!

I'm no expert but I'd say extremely unlikely unless there was a freak snow storm.
The forecast for this week for Fort William and Aviemore is around 7 degrees. Although skiing is still available, I expect there is very little snow below 2,000 feet so all the roads (even the smaller ones up to the ski areas) will be clear.

I'm still pretty keen to come up this w/e. Might catch the sleeper train to Fort W on Thursday night, and try and stay there. Looks like there are hourly buses to Glen Coe, and only takes 30 mins.
Accommodation seems a bit pricey/in short supply though which I guess is to be expected on a b/h w/e.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Neil Neige, You can always bring a tent? I was at Glencoe yesterday, I was the only skier on the mountain, just me and 3 other boarders, conditions were interesting, wind scoured ice, where ungroomed, pretty unskiable. Happy Valley was well pisted and gave some good skiing. The forecast is for the winds to die down rest of the week and for snow, so the runs may get filled up a bit better with something softer to ski on. I have hung my skis up for the season (well stuck them in a cupboard). I still may be tempted for one last blast on Sunday and will be keeping an eye on the conditions the rest of the week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is anywhere likely to be open next week, if conditions are good?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
protosaurus wrote:
@Neil Neige, You can always bring a tent? I was at Glencoe yesterday, I was the only skier on the mountain, just me and 3 other boarders, conditions were interesting, wind scoured ice, where ungroomed, pretty unskiable. Happy Valley was well pisted and gave some good skiing. The forecast is for the winds to die down rest of the week and for snow, so the runs may get filled up a bit better with something softer to ski on. I have hung my skis up for the season (well stuck them in a cupboard). I still may be tempted for one last blast on Sunday and will be keeping an eye on the conditions the rest of the week.

Thanks. Haven't ruled out camping, and there are tent pitches available at the Glencoe site.
My tent and sleeping bag are not really designed for temps close to freezing though. I would probably have to sleep in all my ski gear!
Will try and find some guesthouse/hotel accomm in Fort W...
latest report
The event I was working at in Edinburgh on Monday has been cancelled so I may head up for Monday. If anyone has a season ticket and doesn't have a friend then can I be your friend please as they're offering end of season day tickets for £10 for friends of season ticket holders.
ski holidays
Well I'm all booked up for a Glencoe trip.
Getting the Caledonian Sleeper tonight to Fort William and returning on Sunday night on the Megabusgold (coach with beds!).
Hoping to ski at least Friday and Sunday (and possibly Saturday).
Will be a bit of a mission with lots of buses needed (I'm staying over in Spean Bridge) but should be a bit of an adventure.
If you're heading up there and would like to meet up, do feel free to message me via the site (never tried before but assuming it's easy enough). Will probably be wearing a red Norvege hat which is usually quite distinctive. Fingers crossed for some half-decent conditions...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy