Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee support / Brace

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Would anyone have a support / brace that is just sitting around which could be borrowed.

My knee doesnt hurt, just incredibly sore due to the rotation in the knee.

or could someone perhaps recommend one.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use a Mueller hg80 hinged brace when skiing on my knee with half and ACL.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NickyJ wrote:
I use a Mueller hg80 hinged brace when skiing on my knee with half and ACL.

Thanks ..... I have just ordered one at £30. Lets just hope!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@1969jma, don't want to sound discouraging but a brace to stop your knee rotating (by which I presume you mean the top half of your leg turning more or less than the bottom half, which the knee doesn't like one bit) will cost a lot more than £30. Mine cost £550.....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd be spending the money on a physio appointment.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, given that @1969jma is waiting for an MRI, then will need to wait to see consultant etc etc, £30 for that brace is a good spend until he finds out for sure what is wrong then finds out what can be done.

That brace was recommended to me by my physio after my last one op for skiing.

@1969jma, are you seeing a physio? They may be able to give some exercises to help in the meantime.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm doing exercises suggested by the physio from the hospital in France.

The brace is working well, I feel more stable walking with and without the crutch. I also do some walking without the brace so no muscle gets left dormant.

I'm going into a professional football club on Tuesday to see the physiotherapist who has quite a lot of knowledge surrounding knee movement.

MRI hopefully in the next couple of weeks. then if it is the ACL will talk to two or three knee surgeons about the way forward.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@1969jma, good luck!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Phew! ACL sprained not ruptured!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
1969jma wrote:
I'm doing exercises suggested by the physio from the hospital in France.

The brace is working well, I feel more stable walking with and without the crutch. I also do some walking without the brace so no muscle gets left dormant.

I'm going into a professional football club on Tuesday to see the physiotherapist who has quite a lot of knowledge surrounding knee movement.

MRI hopefully in the next couple of weeks. then if it is the ACL will talk to two or three knee surgeons about the way forward.

Make sure the physio actually tests your knee function ( hop test etc) before you are discharged.
That way you'll be more confident the knee is upto the job. If it isn't then take a surgical opinion again.

Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you don't always want to wear a brace, I suggest sports tape. It gives a lot of support and you don't even notice it's on. I've used this on my foot and I couldn't believe how much it helped. Also, promote blood flow to the knee...in whichever way you can. The knee gets such little blood flow....this is why it is the most prone to injury AND has such a long recovery rate. Here's some great info and idea's if interested. Wishing you all the best.
http://kingbrand.com/KB-Support-Tape.php?REF=46PV173.276
http://kingbrand.com/Knee-Pain-Treatment.php?REF=46PV103.276
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1969jma wrote:
Would anyone have a support / brace that is just sitting around which could be borrowed.

My knee doesnt hurt, just incredibly sore due to the rotation in the knee.

or could someone perhaps recommend one.

As others have said, a good one is going to be £500+ but will rip your leg off before it breaks or allows you knee to rotate unduly. A cheap one won't stop rotation (much if at all) and the neoprene variety do absolutely nothing other than add a bit of warmth and give the muscles surrounding the joint the 'impression' of support by activating the pressure receptors in the skin, that's all. A much better and very affordable alternative for skiers is to research ACL rehab exercises and do all the ones you can find that put the knee through flexion and rotation at the same time IN A CONTROLLED (=safe) MANNER. The exercises you would be stuck with to rehab (=mobilise and strengthen) a knee after ACL damage are the same ones you should have done in order to stabilise and support the knee in flexion and rotation before you did whatever blew your ACL. Do them properly and you'll have your own free knee brace on the inside. Cheap and much less sweaty but, sadly, s*^t still happens. Hope that helps.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PS - careless omission from previous post. If you have anything more than barely visible/palpable rotation in your knee you really should get your GP to have a look and beg him to send you for an MRI/orthopaedic consultation before you ski on it. Could be it's fine but better to waste a bit of your time and NHS funds finding out than land you with months of rehab and them with £10,000 worth of surgery if it goes pear shaped. (TIP: If you're going NHS they'll put you up for a physio assessment before the MRI. Wait a few days for the appointment not to arrive then go back to your GP to scream blue murder about how much its ruining your life and you cant wait and your GP will suddenly remember that they can actually refer you straight to an MRI unit. Tell him/her you're willing to travel 5-10 miles to get it and you can get an MRI same day even in London. When the result comes back, ask him/her for a list of ALL the hospitals they can send you to for the consultation. This will include private hospitals with NHS arrangements and will - if you're in London - save you a further 6-8 weeks and another 2-3 months of your life if you actually need surgery) I've met a couple of people who've actually skied with one whole cruciate missing so it is possible but, you only have 4 structural ligaments in your knee and if one of them goes, the other 3 are going to struggle to hold your leg together. Apart from which, skiing with a chunk of rotation in your knee that's not supposed to be there puts the bones in a kind of mortar & pestle situation. Yuk! Hope that helps.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I actually find that too much support can be bad.. a £10 knee sleeve from edun is all I use.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy