Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ice axe length for ski touring

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to get an ice axe for my first foray into multi day touring. From what I've found, it seems like either the Petzl Summit/Summit Evo or the Grivel Air Tech evo might be good options to start with. One thing I'm struggling to bottom out though is length. A very quick google comes up with a suggestion that at 6'3" I should be looking at something between 60 and 75cm, but doing a bit more digging seems to imply that for ski touring, you can maybe get away with something a bit shorter/lighter than something that you would use just for mountaineering (which seems to be what most of the info is based around). Some sources suggest getting something that reaches your ankle while holding it down by your side while others say anything between there and half way up your calf. Has anyone got any advice based a bit more on the ski side of things? Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
> Has anyone got any advice

Yes, do you actually need an ice axe? If you are not on glaciers and not on slopes over 40 degrees you shouldn't really need an ice-axe for anything much... apart from opening locked refuges during the winter Happy.

I certainly wouldn't carry a 60 to 70cm ice axe while skiing and the fact that you are asking makes me think you probably shouldn't be doing routes that even require an ice axe at this stage.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well the plan is to do the haute route so yes, there will be glacier travel involved. Had considered hiring but if there had been a general consensus on things then it would seem sensible to just pay up now rather than effectively wasting money on rental gear. I will admit that I'm probably the least experienced of the group but you've got to start somewhere.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
^ Ice Axe (+ crampons) for haute route / glacier travel is good idea.
Ice axe isn't something I use lots ski touring - but when I do need it I am always glad I have packed it.
Stopping a slip becoming a fall is the best way to keep yourself safe.

60 to 70cm would be a winter walking axe.
For ski touring I would go a little shorter (round about 50cm) and lightweight.
Mainly because it is easier to store on pack and it will only be used occasionally.

Unless you plan on ice climbing a classic head (i.e non technical) axe will be fine for steep terrain.
Worth paying a little extra for forged head that could be used for belays <etc>
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would go for 50cm, mines a Petzl snowracer very light but with a steel head. Avoid alloy heads there not worth carrying. Don't use it very often but when you need it you need something that will work.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd second Owen and Haggis. 50cm is ideal length for this - apart from any other considerations, I'd not want to be skiing near anyone with a 60-70cm axe on their pack as the spike will protude rather far. Alloy heads are little use in hard neve, which are the conditions you're likely to want an axe.

My favourite axe for this is Black Diamond Raven Ultra.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a Petzl Summit 52cm and a Grivel Haute Route 53cm. I'm 6 ft and length wise they're both fine for me. used the Summit for a 10 day summer trip to the Alps last year and it did every thing I needed it to. I bought the Haute Route first, to do the Vallee Blanche and for easy ski tour's, carried it but not used in anger, looking to part with it if your interested.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have used a 55cm for mountaineering for decades now - good balance between being short enough for easy carrying and long enough to use comfortably. When ski touring I have taken the same one - though not needed to use it much. Mine is a Clog Condor - but anyone who recognises that will be showing their age!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been using a 45cm Climbing Technology Agile Plus for a while now, both for skiing and hill walking (I used it last week for cutting steps on a ski tour).

45cm is very unobtrusive to carry either on or in a rucksack, and works just fine when you need it as an axe.

I've also ski toured with a 50cm axe but I prefer my 45cm axe.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
60cm CAMP XLA210 for me and I'm a tad over 6 foot. I used to have the 50cm but found it uncomfortably short. Very light but still B-rated.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a few technical climbing axes about the place, but for touring, I got a cheap walking axe second hand and cut the shaft down to approx 50cm. Not much difference in weight from what you would pay 4 times the amount for Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm 6ft 2in and use a 52cm axe. Much longer and there's a very large spike sticking out of the top/above your pack...

As @davidof points out, I've only used it on steep icy terrain (every other day 2 weeks ago!) and the shorter length is fine for that. Mine's a Petzl Charlet which is a halfway house between walking/technical I guess - the angled handle is very ergonomic.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy