Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

knee pain / kettlebells

Poster: A snowHead
Two parts to this post

Can anyone let me know if there is a good cream for relieving knee joint pain and if there is a good type of knee support to buy for this?

Also, I am thinking about purchasing a set of kettlebells for exercising with the thought of having legs that can ski for several days after no skiing all summer.

These kettlebells are at different weights (https://www.pricedropdonkey.com/cheap-sports-and-leisure/fitness-deals) and I wondered what would be the best exercise to do and should I do high reps low weight or low weight and high reps?

Any budding exercisers out there?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

high reps low weight or low weight and high reps

you know those are the same thing, right? wink

Low weight, high reps is your friend for stamina, gradually increasing the sets of reps over time.
If it's basic muscle pain, Ibuleve gel, but if its something other than that, then you should get some proper medical advice as to whats going on in there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:

high reps low weight or low weight and high reps

you know those are the same thing, right? wink

Two Massively different things!!!

Kettlebells are great for a wide range of movements.
I see skiing in the same way i see cycling core strength is often forgotten about and can stand you better with good legs than great legs can with no core strength, Pick up a cheap TRX and work on core before legs would be my tip
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Are they? Please do feel free to illuminate me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Richard_Sideways, Laughing

There are some knee exercises which, done properly, are generally good for you BUT if you have specific problems, as your question implies, you should really see a sports physio and get recommendations, and have him/her oversee how you do squats, for example ('cos if you do them wrong you can harm yourself).

It'll cost you about £50.

As for whether your legs will be able to ski for several days that depends entirely on what your problem is. If your stance is wrong, with too much of your weight hanging off your quads, rather than being stacked on your skeleton, exercises won't help but lessons will. Whether you can "ski all day" has more to do with your technique than your muscles. And for ordinary piste skiing, up in a lift, down a piste, you don't need to be very fit either (even quite old people can do it... wink )

If you have inflamation, one of the NSAIDs like Voltarol gel will help. Ask your pharmacist.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:

Are they? Please do feel free to illuminate me.

high reps low weight or low weight and high reps Embarassed

that's what i get for scanning posts
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No one answered your first question, so here goes...

Voltarol 12hr emulgel is the stuff (now you can't get the tabs over the counter).

Also some people swear by something called Flexiseq (google it) - quite expensive & may be a quack remedy, but it does work for a lot of people
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@geoffers, pam w said voltarol earlier.

I assume the kettle Bells will be used to add weight to squats, lunges etc.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is one rather badly designed published study on Flexiseq that really doesn't show anything. Expensive device plus no evidence = scam I'm afraid.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My winter routine is similar to this
http://youtube.com/v/bjbiZdxowCc with kettlebells and a 15 minute h.i.i.t run added. 3 times a week or so. Plus running if the weather's ok and skiing most weekends.

Summer mostly running and rollerblading.

I may get some wheeled nordic skates this year...

I would suggest that fatigue while skiing is often down to poor technique.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use a 20Kg kettlebell in a circuit workout.

Alternating single arms, ten reps:

1. Clean
2. Shoulder press
3. Clean and jerk
4. Arm swing to horizontal
5. Double arm swing to horizontal (obv just once)
6. Feed backwards through legs to opposite hand and curl
7. Feed forward through legs to opposite hand and curl
8. Upright row (both arms)
9. Head still, hold weight upright just below chin and "halo" your head clockwise
10. Then anti-clockwise
11. Squat holding weight upside down at chin height, double arm curl when you stand up.
12. Bent over row.
13. 50 situps
14. 50 pressups
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mosha Marc, I use a 12kg bell Embarassed
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, 14 kg next time then Cool

I also hold that tuck your fella does, but on a vibroplate holding the kettlebell for a minute. I'm working up to some box work like his, but a knee injury is taking a loooong time to sort itself out.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mosha Marc, a friend blew his ACL and some other stuff Jan '14 and approves of the vibroplate...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GimmieSnow wrote:
Two parts to this post

Can anyone let me know if there is a good cream for relieving knee joint pain and if there is a good type of knee support to buy for this?

No there isn't a knee cream with convincing evidence it will work for knee pain.

Don't waste money on a knee support for undiagnosed knee pain - instead get a diagnosis before trying treatments. You'll save ( a lot of ) time, effort and money.

Jonathan Bell
snow report
I never tried kettlebells... body weight squats are enough for me to help wiht my knee pain!
snow conditions
10kg kettlebell for Goblet Squats for me, let's just say that I'm built more like a marathon runner.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy