Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alternative to Rossingol soul 7

Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering if anyone had any alternative to the Rossingol soul 7. I ski mainly off piste when I can but also spend time on piste, especially as limited trips away mean I'm dependant on conditions.

I was wondering if anyone had any alternative to the soul 7, I've been looking at the Solomon rocker2 108?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Salomon is very similar or maybe the Q105 which I've used for 2 seasons now, great ski!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, love my Rockers! Got the Q98 as well which is stiffer and not as playful. Should be an ideal (and better imo Very Happy) alternative!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jason123, what do you want to be different in a new ski?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Black Crows Atris
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
108's in soft snow are amazing.On piste or techy decents however as you might expect not so much.Still one of best allconditions skis in their category.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was looking at soul 7 - got Atris and love em
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are plenty of decent alternatives, just depends what you want from the ski. I've been looking at this type of ski myself recently i.e. "all mountain, but biased more toward soft snow". I ended up going with the new Volkl 90eight as a lightweight option that should work pretty well in most conditions on and off piste. There's also the wider Volkl 100eight, which is probably more directly comparable with the Soul 7, but I wanted something that would be easier to carve on piste and a bit more nimble in the trees and chutes, hence why I chose the 98 width in the end. Both these new Volkls are getting rave reviews everywhere, but I won't get chance to ski mine until next season now. Other options I seriously considered were the K2 Pinnacle 95 and 105 and Kastle FX95 and BMX105.

What I would say, is that if you are uncertain about conditions and can only have 1 ski I would get something sub 100 mm wide that works pretty well on harder snow too. Maybe the Rossi Sin 7 would work better in most conditions you are actually likely to encounter on a short trip. Or perhaps the Atomic Vantage 95 or 100 Cti? I do think many people (and I've been guilty of it myself) tend to go for a bigger/wider ski than they realistically need for 95% of the time. I spent a few seasons out in Canada BC trying to convince myself that 108 mm underfoot was the best "all mountain" compromise, but I've concluded that most of the time it isn't, not even somewhere where it snows a lot. I ended up with a 77 mm pure piste carver and a full on powder ski for big days, while the Volkl 90eight is my next attempt at finding something that should in theory work pretty well for maybe 80% of the time, so I don't have to keep swapping back and forth.

Hope that gives you a little to think over.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks for the replies!

Ive had a look at some of the recommendations and think i will look to get a set of BC Atris, the only problem is finding somewhere thats stocks them in a 184 - If anyone knows of anywhere with them in stock would be ideal
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jason123, as I asked earlier, what duo you want a new ski to do differently/be better at than the Soul 7? Without that, any recommendations are fairly meaningless...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was looking for a set of the black crows too but couldn't find them so got the faction Candide 3.0 on offer for last year's model. The new one is a bit narrower (108mm from 112) and marginally more camber (2mm from 1mm) so might be slightly better as an all mountain ski. They're really light for their size though so mine are also mounted up with kingpins for touring. Plus Candide is a boss Very Happy

https://www.factionskis.com/skis/ski-1516-ct30
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I really enjoyed skiing on the soul 7's however i like to keep changing and trying new skis! looking for something similar but inbetween th 180-188 that rossingol offers
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In that case I would suggest reading all the ski reviews on Blister Gear below and then take your pick. They pretty much cover all your options in that type of ski and there are plenty of references to the Soul 7.

http://blistergearreview.com
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jason123 wrote:
I really enjoyed skiing on the soul 7's however i like to keep changing and trying new skis! looking for something similar but inbetween th 180-188 that rossingol offers

Well, if you want to stay on the same soft/playful/nimble end of the ~105mm underfoot ski spectrum, next years Rossi Soul 7 HD is about as fun as it gets...

Personally preferred it to the Atris, but I only got a few runs on the Atris, at the end of the day in poor light, so maybe not a fair comparison.

Can't think of anything in that class I'd recommend over the Soul7 HD tbh. Maybe Whitedot Director? Would be a different matter if you wanted something stiffer/chargier though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Has anyone had any experience on the atris 189. I normally ski on line sick day 183's. I was wondering if the 189 felt like a big ski or whether it was still fairly nimble
snow report
Have a look at the Dynastar Cham 2.0. I've had the 1.0 version in a 97cm width for 3 trips. I do love them and think the 2.0 is probably even better from what I've read.

http://www.outsideonline.com/2022156/best-all-mountain-powder-skis-2016
ski holidays
There's a brief video review of the Cham 2.0 97 here, along with the Soul 7 and Atomic Automatic 102. All seem like decent options in this class depending on what you want to focus on.

http://youtube.com/v/IsH9NIWIwqQ
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy