Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

liners in, liners out ... overnight drying

Poster: A snowHead
Noticed that a couple of posts have mentioned this drying out thing.

I have one pair of Salomons which let in quite a lot of snow-melt, even though I brush the snow off each time I get on a chairlift. I have another pair of Salomons which seal very well and don't do this. I have a pair of Atomics which simply P++s snow in. Always running with water at the end of a day. I also have feet which are quite normal: 250,000 sweat glands

http://www.everydayhealth.com/foot-health-pictures/funky-feet-facts.aspx

giving off 1/2 pint a day...

http://patient.info/health/sweaty-feet

as a result of external and internal drenching, my liners are always pretty darn wet by the end of the day. As are my ten year old son's. We have to artificially heat the lines to get them dry for the next day and commit heresy: the liners get pulled out and go on the radiator overnight, every night. This has been hailed by some as 'exactly the thing NOT to do' - but we deem it essential, as wet liners in the morning give VERY cold boots after a few minutes on the hill. My partner and daughter, by contrast, have dry liners at the end of each day. My question is this...do you think they are aliens?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just buy a boot dryer. Less effort.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like a hormone imbalance Laughing 250ml per day seems an awful lot of sweat Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I take my liners out every night when skiing, and use my Thermo boot warmers in the room - toasty and dry in the morning. If I leave them in then there's nowhere for the moisture to go and they don't dry the same. 10 secs to get in and out, no drama!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maggi wrote:
Just buy a boot dryer. Less effort.

+1
An anti-perspirant foot spray also helps (must be anti-perspirant, not just deodorant). I've also heard of people using a piece of duct tape where the shell doesn't seal well at the joint over the front of the foot.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One of these?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mosha Marc, I had some kind guests who accidentally left a pair of similar behind. very nice. They were Russian, never answered any emails so finders keepers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I take my liners out too (if I have the chance) ... I didn't know it was a sin!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you need them out to dry go for it. It should not do them any harm at all. Also +1 for the duct tape across the front of the join.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DrLawn, I suspect the 'sin' is putting them on the radiator rather than taking them out of the shells.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@halfhand, ....nope...this appears in many medical texts as a common amount.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Tubaski, ....yes....that's the thing which upsets people...'you can't put thermal linings on a radiator!!!...'

Actually it makes them kind of plump and cosy...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc wrote:
One of these?

No, one of these:
http://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/thermic-boot-glove-warmers.html
Better built, less money Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@valais2, I guess it depends on the temperature of the radiator. I think (but, disclaimer, am not sure) many deform above 60 degrees C.
There was a posting recently where someone had deformed their footbeds drying them on a radiator IIRC.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've always struggled with this one - I'm not buying/carting around Boot Warmers for five sets of boots. Balled up newspaper seems to take out a lot of the moisture, if followed up with them propped over the radiator for the evening, but even then I have to resort to pulling out the liners very second/third day, particularly when skiing at Easter. Always wondered if there's a market for big bags of silica gel to do this more effectively.
snow report
Tubaski wrote:
@valais2, I guess it depends on the temperature of the radiator. I think (but, disclaimer, am not sure) many deform above 60 degrees C.
There was a posting recently where someone had deformed their footbeds drying them on a radiator IIRC.

Oh yeah - that was me too Embarassed
snow report
Tubaski wrote:
@DrLawn, I suspect the 'sin' is putting them on the radiator rather than taking them out of the shells.
Yes and no. No big deal leaving a liner on a radiator but better to leave it in front of the radiator overnight rather than on it. However, do NOT leave custom footbeds in the liner if it's ON the radiator because they will deform over time.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
One of these?

Yep, get these (which I have), or similar.

They're brilliant. Leave in boots overnight, toasty feet the next day. Done.
latest report
My experience of the Sidas warmers was not good. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

snow conditions
Boot dryers dry the inside of the liner, not the outside.
The outside or the liner will dry in an hour or so just hanging up in your room - no need to place on radiator.
I always remove the liners at the end of the day, hang them up for an hour or so, then replace.
(Pour out any water that has accumulated inside the boot shell.)
Then in the morning, first thing as i get up is switch on the Boot Warmers.
By the time you've had breakfast boots are warm dry and cozy.
Luxury start to the day. snowHead

Combine this routine with washing your socks every evening, and say goodbye to smelly boots (and smelly socks).
ski holidays
Heated boot bags are nice, do a good job of drying and warming boots, gloves, hats, goggles, etc.
latest report
Underfloor heating is also good for drying them out. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:
One of these?

No, one of these:
http://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/thermic-boot-glove-warmers.html
Better built, less money Toofy Grin

Jon, can you bring me a set of these to EOSB please?
latest report
or go the full geek like me and use a heated boot bag AND a Thermic air dryer Toofy Grin
latest report
@andyman, will do matey.
snow report
@Jonpim, ...good routine...agree entirely about inner and outer wetness - our radiators run pretty cool by the time we get the chalet up to temp, and so putting them on our very tall rads, close to the ceiling, works fine - but indeed the temp is pretty low - they all have room stats on them, set to 20. @Hells Bells, ...yes, underfloor would give about the same heating effect.
snow report
And if the boots leak badly like my Lange boots (now in Poubelle) heaters only heated the water up that had collected in the base of the shell - they never did dry out, so toasty feet for 5 minutes followed by cold ones for the rest of the day. So - yes - it was liners out every night.
latest report
@chocksaway, ...ah..Poubelle, great resort...now a lift link planned with Trous Noir ...

(see http://erkdemon.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/black-holes-are-rude-in-french.html)

sorry for the brief interruption in normal service...we now go back to the thread on boot liners.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

This has been hailed by some as 'exactly the thing NOT to do'

Never heard this? I take my out everyday. Have you tried putting duct tape on the toes
latest report
New boots.

Visit the doc.
ski holidays
@moseyp, ...gosh correct use of 'duct tape' and not 'duck tape' - excellent.

yes, but gave up with the Atomics since they are 'watertfall' boots - Livefit 90s - Very gappy. And it sticks for such a short time that balls of gaffer tape when hooking the liners out can be a right pain.

My various Salomons are tolerable as long as I sweep snow off the tops of the boots after powder sessions and other snow types which accumulate on the top of the boot - and then follow the drying routine overnight.
latest report
I think they're both correct, duct or duck...but either way where are you putting it that it gets on the liner? I use it over the toebox (on the shell)
latest report
@moseyp, ...ah...light goes on...in the past we have used it on the OUTSIDE of the LINER, over the top of the liner and seams in the tongue-boot junction.

So...in climbing we flaunt gaffer tape with pride, so I think you are suggesting I ski with gaffer tape stuck all over the front of my boots. I think I will have to steel myself to do that, this is skiing, not climbing after all....(what's the French for '...here comes gaffer-tape boy...?)
ski holidays
Go to Are - most accommodation has boot driers. Very Happy
ski holidays
I had same issue with leaking boots, fixed it with a piece of neoprene over the front of the boot, I removed the lower clips that I don't use and put a couple of hooks at the front to latch the neoprene onto, but any of the generic boot glove products would do the same. Found that most of the moisture was the snow getting in, not much from sweating that a warm boot room overnight didn't fix.
snow conditions
valais2, Watch any World Cup race, you will see a few racers with duct tape on the outside of the shells. I have a nice roll of black tape that matches the shell colour.

I thought that Duck was a brand of duct tape.
snow conditions
@rjs, ...yes, Duck Tape indeed is duct tape, but not all duct tape is Duck Tape. And now, in the States, not all Duck Tape is duct tape. Gaffer tape, however, since climbers tend to be very literal, always is gaffer tape, thank goodness. ...except when Andy Kirkpatrick refers to it....
snow report
You definitely need to sort out the faulty boots before worrying about how to dry them. Not a great idea to remove the liners more than necessary IMO.
latest report
I always remove liners from boots and place them on boot dryer in pension and place the shells on the floor of the boot room. Done this for years without problems and everything is nicely dried each morning.
snow report
Jonpim wrote:

Combine this routine with washing your socks every evening, and say goodbye to smelly boots (and smelly socks).

or bring enough socks for the trip.... obviously an issue for season folks but trippers sholud own at least a pair of socks for each day

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 13-04-16 14:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy