Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Mantra Sizing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I have recently bought a pair of 184cm Volkl Mantra Skis with Marker Griffon Bindings. I know that is it quite a contentious ski in that Volkl decided to make some radical changes to the design of what was a very popular ski a couple of years ago; some people love the new design and others don't. Anyway, I have enjoyed skiing the Volkl Kendo (177cm) this season and wanted a wider ski that was more suited to powder skiing (but still had some decent piste skiing capabilities). Having done some more research on the Mantra online (a very dangerous thing to do after buying the skis!), I'm starting to think I should have opted for the lower size in the Mantras - i.e. 177cm. I am 76kgs and 6 foot tall. Before I return the skis to the retailer (and pay a substantial restocking charge!), I just wanted to check if anyone was familiar with the Mantra and could give me some advice regarding the most appropriate size.

I know that a Mantra sizing question has previously been raised on the Forum. However, it was a number of years ago and related to the old style cambered version.

Many thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TMN280, I am 60kgs and ski the 2010 version in 177cms. I tried last year's yesterday and was not so very impressed I am afraid... My impression is that it skis a little shorter (due rocker) so at your 76kgs I would be thinking 184 quite right.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1
full rocker suggests 184 is right for you. Perhaps 177 in the old traditional camber version.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@TMN280, I spent last week on a pair of 184 Mantras and was impressed. I'd spent the previous few seasons on 177 Kendos funnily enough and before that had skied various non-rockered 177 and 184 Mantras a few times.

The current Mantras were very stable on-piste, but not sluggish to turn, good in cruddy off-piste and fun in the limited powder that was around. The only area where I preferred my Kendos was in the bumps and I'd have been very surprised had that not been the case. As @under a new name says, I think the rocker means they ski shorter (although presumably that's not the case in bumps). I was considering buying a pair but the shop had sold out (both 184s and 177s).

I'm slightly smaller than you (5'11'') and am usually around the same weight but am a bit heavier at the moment Embarassed.
Obviously I'm not you though and you may hate them Smile.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks for your helpful responses.

I'm just toying with the idea of going down the "2 quiver" route which would mean selling the new Mantras and opting for a more dedicated piste and powder ski. I'm getting very confused with all the options though! I love the Volkl Kendo for carving and moguls and like the look of the Volkl 100Eight for powder skiing (not that I'm married to the Volkl brand). However, not sure if I should opt for a powder ski that's wider than 108mm under foot. This is going off script though in terms of the thread subject.

Alan - if you are interested in picking up a very reasonably priced new paid of 184cm Mantras with Marker Griffon bindings (set at 305mm - I have 26.5 boots), feel free to PM me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
From the mixed reviews I read I didn't particularly like the sound of the new Mantra, but I went with the new Volkl 90Eight as a general purpose "soft" snow ski. I won't get to ski it until next season, but all reports seem to suggest it works pretty well on everything from reasonably firm groomers to knee deep powder and is particularly strong in trees and other tight spaces. I do have both a more dedicated powder ski and piste carver in my quiver, but I don't really like swapping back and forth all the time, so I thought I'd give the single quiver idea another try for next season.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, I've been offered 184 2013 Volkl Mantras in really good conditions. I'm from Argentina, 5 9 tall and weight 170 lbs. I consider my self and advanced skier, not an expert though. I like to spend most of my time in blacks, also some off piste and reds, no park. Are they too big for me?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geronimork wrote:
Hi, I've been offered 184 2013 Volkl Mantras in really good conditions. I'm from Argentina, 5 9 tall and weight 170 lbs. I consider my self and advanced skier, not an expert though. I like to spend most of my time in blacks, also some off piste and reds, no park. Are they too big for me?

Welcome to snowHeads.

If it's this ski

then I would have put someone of your stats on the 177 length as that model was before Volkl added more rocker and shortend its effective edge. A strong skier of your stats would handle the 184 though. Or just have a few more portions of asados Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks! And what do you thin about the 2014 Elan Amphibio 88 Xti at 178? https://www.skis.com/Elan-Amphibio-88-XTI-Fusion-Skis-with-ELX-12.0-Fusion-Bindings-2014/315784P,default,pd.html. I've also been offered one of those.

Which one should I go with?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry but I'm not familiar with that Elan ski at all.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've also been offered 2011 Line Sir Francis Bacon at 172 cm. Are these good as all mountain?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here is a link for the description: https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/line-sir-francis-bacon-2011
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy