Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Commit to get fit!

Poster: A snowHead
So, you know how it is....you're scrolling through the drivel on Facebook and a competition catches your eye "like, share, click and win whatever". Well I did the sharing thing for a post from Fall Line and lo and behold I've won!

I have a free years subscription to SkiFit from BeFitApps Very Happy so far I've improved my fitness by signing up, browsing the website and doing the 20min lite session (that was lite Shocked ?)

There's no hope of getting fit in time for the End of Season Bash so I plan to spend the summer taking full advantage of the win and thought posting here would help me to keep up the motivation!

Starting point is a middle aged, rather overweight female. Currently "yoga fit" with plenty of muscle tone and good balance but minimal cardio unless you count 40 to 50 minutes of brisk walking a day!

Has anyone any experience of using this system?

My taster made me feel it will be just what I need but watch this space....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds a good idea to post. But I definitely count 40 - 50 minutes of brisk walking per day.

Don't go and bust something before the EOSB, will you?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @pam w, I have no intention of busting something at this late stage! I'll stick to yoga and striding for now and get into to the new regime when I get back.

It's nice to win something for a change Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I won that too homphomp, although I won't even be trying it out until my shoulder's mended. Reviews looked good though. Next year ...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good news @RachelQ, the "lite" session included a section of plank type stuff....definitely NOT to be tried with your shoulder! Lots of one legged squatting type stuff too...you would approve!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@homphomp, that sounds like a very useful thing to win, and a good ideas to put on here. I will look it up, if I can find it, and see what you are doing. Every year up I think I will get fit for skiing... The last things I won in any competitions were a 42 inch TV, had to spend a fortune having a cupboard made to contain it, and an enormous very good cooking pot.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pamski, they are here https://befitapps.com/skifit/ only a tenner to sign up anyway, I think the 20 min session is free to all to try.

I could do with a good cooking pot too....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Being a middle aged, rather overweight female myself I am interested in how you find it if you can post a review.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I won a helmet from Fall line skiing on a like and share post a year ago, good luck with your fitness app, I found by taking up metafit and weights a year and a half ago it has really helped my skiing by getting fitter.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@homphomp, could be just what I'm looking for. Middle-aged overweight female describes me perfectly.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hells Bells, @J9, there are a lot of us about! I'll let you know how I get on....there's plenty of scope for improvement!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@homphomp, might just give it a go myself.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@homphomp, ooh, I'd be interested in following your progress, so do please keep us updated.

I have no experience of the SkiFit app system but La Clinique du Sport (the people behind the app) is the physio clinic I go to in Chamonix, so at least there are medical professionals behind the system.

I'm not sure what the SkiFit system entails but do have a few tips that may help your overall conditioning programme (although I may, possibly, be teaching you to suck eggs here).

Cardio
Don't overdo the cardio. Seriously, no more than 30–45 minutes of standard cardio or 20 minutes of HIIT cardio. If you do more, your body starts to burn muscle instead of fat to provide energy during the 'overtime' minutes (Google catabolic state for in-depth info), which you don't want to do unless you are trying to lose muscle mass.

Lean muscle vs. body fat
The higher percentage of overall body mass made up of lean muscle (as opposed to fat), the faster your metabolism will be, which is a good thing because metabolism slows down in middle age (aarghhh). But you do need to increase your protein intake to help build this muscle (balance this out by decreasing your carb and fat intake so that you are not taking in more calories than you're burning).

Resistance training
Because protein alone won't build muscle, it will help if the SkiFit app system includes resistance training with weights (for those not using this specific app, gym resistance machines or Pilates machines can be used) to build and strengthen muscle (I'm not talking about bulky bodybuilder style muscle). There is only so much muscle and strength you can build using only body weight and movement.

Walking
Brisk walking rarely keeps your heart rate in the cardio zone in a sustained manner but it's excellent for burning fat and keeping leg and foot joints and muscle in condition. More importantly, walking strengthens those big muscles that run up either side of your spine. I developed an appreciation for walking when I had to do it as part of post-spinal surgery rehab.

Good luck with the app, I'm very keen to see your progress with it Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

you do need to increase your protein intake to help build this muscle

I think most of us already eat far more protein than we need, don't we?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, depends on your lifestyle, level of activity, type of activity, what sort of shape your body is in and what sort of shape you're trying to sculpt it into. Many variables involved.

There are some handy online tools that help to calculate your total daily energy expenditure and composition of macro nutrient intake (protein, carbs, fat) based on what you're trying to achieve. But the simple fact is, if you're trying to build and strengthen muscle, you need protein.

So, I should have said: if you have a low protein diet, you need to increase your protein intake to build muscle. That's better! Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

I think most of us already eat far more protein than we need, don't we?

I wouldn't be so sure. The recommendation I got was to aim for 20g of protein four times a day. I really struggle to meet that (my main meal each day probably did, but the others were way off) and have had to make significant changes to my diet to even get close. You can't get it all in one hit either, it has to be spread out across the day to be effective.

But for the sorts of exercise plan the original poster is talking about I think they don't need to worry too much. I suspect it will be more about toning muscle than putting on a lot of new muscle mass.
ski holidays
I wondered how I do for protein. I found this on a BBC website: In the UK, adults are advised to eat 0.75g of protein for each kilogram they weigh, based on the Reference Nutrient Intake (RNI).

For me that equates to 47g of protein a day. I don't think I have any problem eating that much. But yes, 80 grams would take a lot of eating! For a lot of people pushing up their protein intake would push up fats and calories too much.

Eating plenty of calcium is important too, and it's surprising how little you get from a few helpings of milk and cheese here and there. I found that out only AFTER fracturing my pelvis in a not-very-high-trauma fall.
snow conditions
Eggs.
snow report
pam w wrote:
...For me that equates to 47g of protein a day. I don't think I have any problem eating that much. But yes, 80 grams would take a lot of eating!

Indeed, because 80g of protein could mean you have to eat a lot of protein-rich food. For example, 100g of tuna flesh only yields 22-30g of protein, depending on the variety. And a 100g of chicken breast yields about 30g of protein.

@under a new name, eggs are great for protein but bear in mind that the majority of their energy value comes from fat (double than that from protein).
snow conditions
1 egg contains 6g of protein, so @kieranm would have to eat over 13 a day to get his 80g.
ski holidays
@Zero_G, thanks for the advice. From the short excerpt I did it seems to be a good mix of cardio, strength and dynamic balance work. Should be ideal! I just need to survive the EoSB and I'll make a start...will keep you all posted
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
1 egg contains 6g of protein, so @kieranm would have to eat over 13 a day to get his 80g.

Cool Hand Luke Laughing
latest report
@homphomp, enjoy the bash! Although, without me there, you won't get to do any strictly come dancing moves... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Laughing
snow report
Unfortunately, it's probably the alcohol ! - from a fellow sufferer......
That's in relation to the excess weight......
snow report
Hmm.....I survived the EoSB (it was great!) but then had two weeks of flu, a family crisis and another dose of flu! Great start (not!). In two months I've managed a few lack luster walks, two yoga classes and one skifit session Sad

On the plus side I've started properly today, the full session does work all the muscles nicely and definitely shows up the muscles that yoga doesn't get to. The proof will be on the slopes next season.
latest report
I have started my summer routine. This year I am combining weight loss with general fitness as goals. I will move on to skiing specific stuff later. I am mixing up long spin bike sessions (several hours when I can) with more intense work. The trick for weight loss is really to keep your HR down to 60-65% of max. With bad knees I think being lighter will help. The more intense work will form a larger part of my scheme as we get closer to the season. Weigh about 12 stone. Wish to get back to my old weight of between 10 1/2 and 11.
I can no longer run. Arthritic shoulders restrict my rowing which I coach. So concentrate on bike and my skier's edge machine. Near the time and on holiday I have a series of exercises that strengthen the muscles around the dodgy knees and keep them moving
Hope sharing this will keep me on the case.
snow conditions
Quote:

With bad knees I think being lighter will help.

No doubt about that. Good luck with it all, @Mark1863.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w,
Thanks. Redundancy in a few weeks. That means the end of my career. So no excuse not to be ready for next season. The pay off will help to fund my skiing next winter.
snow report
@Mark1863, good luck, can you get out on a bike rather then a long spin session (I'm assuming in a gym?). Long Zone 2 rides are much more enjoyable outside and burn fat!
latest report
@kitenski,
Am doing both. Once work is finally over I will be doing more outdoor cycling. As you say much more enjoyable. Early Aug seems the most likely date for my retirement but they have to come up with the right financial package. Yet to do that.
snow report
Still not retired but likely this month. They tried to bore me into leaving with an unsatisfactory redundancy offer. They spent 4 months claiming that was all I was entitled to. Threatened a tribunal this week and they admitted I was in the right. So just waiting for letter.

Things going well. Only about half a stone lighter than in July. So could have done better with that. However, fitness is vastly better than this time last year. Once finished I hope to go into some intense work pre-Dec. With retirement hope to be out in the Alps most of the season so a big incentive to be properly prepared.

The spin bike is in the lounge. I have sat on it watching the Tour de France and the Vuelta for inspiration
snow conditions
@Mark1863, interested in the Skiers Edge machine, what does it work on? How is everyone's regime going for the season?
ski holidays
Zero_G wrote:

Cardio
Don't overdo the cardio. Seriously, no more than 30–45 minutes of standard cardio or 20 minutes of HIIT cardio. If you do more, your body starts to burn muscle instead of fat to provide energy during the 'overtime' minutes (Google catabolic state for in-depth info), which you don't want to do unless you are trying to lose muscle mass.

Not true according to http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/get-big/will-cardio-burn-muscle

If it were true, all cyclists would be weak as kittens, which isn't the case.
snow conditions
dogwatch wrote:
Zero_G wrote:

Cardio

Not true according to http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/get-big/will-cardio-burn-muscle

If it were true, all cyclists would be weak as kittens, which isn't the case.

The drugs kinda help on that front
snow report
Appreciate this thread is old but I thought as it prompted me to get the app I'd write some feedback.

Bit of background, I'm reasonably fit to start with and exercise pretty much daily. I took fitness for my recent trip seriously and worked up a good cardio capacity.

So I'm on Phase 1 of 4. While it lasted just over an hour I found it quite slow, I'm used to getting a lot more done in that time. However this didn't take away from how challenging it was, I found the balancing combined with strength tough and was tipping over all the time. It's quite different from other programs I've done as it's ski specific and really focuses on the lower body, balance and core. Personally I'll continue it in addition to other cardio and strength work. However if it was the only thing you did I think you'd be much better off doing this. SkiFit combined with a bit of running/step/climber/spin would get you in to good shape.

Being able to do it at home is great too, no excuse about not having a gym membership and you don't need expensive kit. And for a tenner it's worth a try. (on that note, the app now has a different subscription model to the website, worth bearing in mind)
snow report
@RoboJ, thanks for reviving my post!

I agree with all that you say...Sadly my life where a bit pearshaped in summer and I gave up Sad but I am still slimmer (a bit) and fitter than before I started SkiFit Very Happy Having just booked for the EoSB i will start again soon, it's a bit too late for my next trip in a couple of weeks.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy