Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lower back pain/injury and Whole Body Vibration - good research

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Tedious back pain today after over enthusiastic day on hard pack. No skiing. Grrrr.

Why?

This is very good:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5854839/

Insights:

- whole body vibration in skiing exceeds Eu directives on injury thresholds for spine
- carved turns with low skidding have lower wbv
- bending knees reduces wbv impact on spine
- all forms of technique still exceed directives
- confirms that icy pistes increase risk
- angulation and body separation increase shear forces in spine
- ski design can mitigate wbv
- watch out on this one…higher speed carving equal lower wbv

A good piece of work

More core prep and core muscle building
Better technique
Slow down on frozen chop
Work to avoid increased wbv
(And just before skiing don’t do so much tree felling and bending down low with a chainsaw doing the big stuff…

The finding re reduced wbv at speed makes sense in comparison with DH mountain biking - when up to speed things go a bit more smoothly - since the system of bike and rider take on a different frequency of vibration. But this is not evidence you should go at full chat all over the mountain of course; it is simply an interesting finding.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An interesting study - thanks for posting.

I'm not sure it provides evidence that icy pistes increase risk - all it says is
Quote:
Finally, since our measurements were performed on a moderate incline under nearly ideal conditions of snow and weather, generalization is not straightforward. However, it can be speculated that, for example, icy conditions and/or more difficult slopes would result in more vigorous WBV

The study was primarily comparing the different types of turns on piste. An interesting follow-up would be to compare different snow surfaces, though that would be very hard (*) to quantify, and also difficult to plan - maybe the best that could be done would be summer skiing on glaciers during a high pressure period, where the same slope could relatively predictably start icy, then turn to slush

Something else that stood out to me was this
Quote:
Most of the underlying deteriorations of the spine develop early in the career of the alpine skier (Rachbauer et al., 2001), when on-snow training is not usually performed on courses resembling those used in competitions
- can anyone elaborate the differences between competition courses and the pistes on which they train ? And given that only a small fraction of their skiing time would be in competition, I'm not sure how this is relevant

* Does anyone know if there is any way to quantify the hardness of snow on a piste ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well … funny you should ask … yep there’s an index:

https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000186462
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
viv wrote:

Something else that stood out to me was this
Quote:
Most of the underlying deteriorations of the spine develop early in the career of the alpine skier (Rachbauer et al., 2001), when on-snow training is not usually performed on courses resembling those used in competitions
- can anyone elaborate the differences between competition courses and the pistes on which they train ?

High level competition courses will be on injected snow. Early training, that is as a child, will not.

My guess is that it is the corduroy pattern on fairly hard snow that is creating the vibration that causes the damage, injected snow is smoother so doesn't generate as much vibration.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy