Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing after a tibial plateau fracture

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I had a tibial plateau fracture last month. Surgery with 6 screws and one plate. Last run of the day in Norway before a 23 days trip to the Alps. I am wondering if any other here have sustained this injury and come back to skiing at the same level? What is your experience with skiing after such an injury? My physio thinks I will be on skis the next winter with good training and that there is a good chance of skiing fully (offpiste and on all conditions) in 2018..
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Woosh, yes. 1st April 2013 accident back on skis at the end of November . I did physio and gym 5 times a week at soon as I was fully weight bearing and gradually reduced to 3 times a week. Do as much a you can with glutes and quad exercises whole you are not weight bearing. You will be shocked when you see your leg looking like a saggy pillow I did a blog in the apres section if you are interested.
snow conditions     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh...and i Ski better now than before partly because of better fitness. ..I still go to physio and gym every week as I also stretched the MCL ..quite common but you won't know till you start walking ...it is now a life goal to keep mobile.
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
.. and check your travel insurance for physio cover. Mine has £500 which made a huge difference.
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And ask your physio about sports massage to aid recovery
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx,

Thanks for your reply and tips. Luckily we have free physio in Norway after such an accident (half a year) and you can choose whoever you like. Really encouraging to hear how quickly you were back on the mountain. Inspirational and also good to hear that you are better than before. My life goal is also to be as active as I was before the accident:)
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Woosh, good luck. Let us know how you get on
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry to hear about your injury. I had a TPF in November 2014, from a non-skiing injury. I started skiing again last October (in a fridge). I have just returned from a skiing week and I also think I have actually improved, also because of more fitness training.
Keep a check on the mobility and extension in your leg as you recover. I think everybody and every injury is different, so go at your own pace. You will know when you are ready to ski again. Do all your physio exercises, regularly! It really is key. As soon as I could walk unaided I started going on long walks, building up the distance gradually. I also found spin classes really useful for cardio and strength building.
Good luck - there is light at the end of the tunnel!
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sustained a TPF in a super-G March 2011. Internal fixing with plate and 7 screws. Was back on snow late November, but couldn't race that season. Things got a lot better after I had all the metal removed the following spring.

Since then I have done the Swedish Alpine Trainer levels 2 and 3 and I've just won the Swedish Cup in Speedski at age 49 Happy

You can get there, but you need to be realistic about goals for the coming season. Work hard, but don't set yourself back by rushing things. It does depend a bit on your age as well. I put huge effort into my rehab, but even at the age I was when I had the injury (44) things just take longer to heal than when I was young.
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sara, thanks for your reply and tips. Really encouraging to hear stories from others who have gone through the same thing and that there is good possibilities on the end of the recovery path.

@hyperkub, WOW, I am impressed. Really good work and also motivational to hear your story. Congrats on your victory. Do you feel 100 % recovered in your knee today?
snow conditions     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did mine in march 2013 and was skiing at Manchester by november 2013, then went to italy in january 2014, had to take it easy, getting boot into ski meant leaning backwards etc. but did notice a lot of swelling by day four... Had a day off then was ok. ..
I now ski better than i did before due to having some lessons on how to ski with a tender knee. Took me a while to get all the muscles working as i was limited by how much and the type of excersize i could do, as running and jogging were out,
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did a week skiing last week in the Alps. Superslushy conditions but could ski all day for 5 days straight. Yes, it does hurt sometimes and yes, need much more muscles , but what a great feeling to back on ski properly again. Hope to be able to ski offpiste properly again next year. Fingers crossed
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Woosh, fab....Thanks for letting us know
ski holidays     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Broke mine and also had surgery (rod and 4 screws) in andorra this season, and now im wondering about getting back next season and how to avoid similar injury in the future.

I got my left ski stuck in a pile of snow skiing a highly 'pipe'd' (not sure what the word is, but a run that has high sides, almost like a natural downward sloping half pipe i guess?) piste when going up the side slightly to make a turn.

I feel it was 50/50 my fault after not ever having been taught to ski in such deep snow (good snow day!) and that I really felt my ski should have released (when i landed and tried to assess the damage i realised my boot was 180 degree turned round to my knee with my skis side by side.. one pointing backwards still not released)

Is just lowering the DIN to below what the shop set it to (they're my own skis, new this season and set by a shop in the resort when i arrived) and then taking some lessons to reaffirm my technique (not had lessons since i learnt 10+ years ago but had a 4 year gap no lessons after returning) the way to go?
snow conditions     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@calro, I reduced my din and I never get a pre release. I went onto Jonathan Bells Return to Ski day at Hemel 7 months after the break and I also had 3 mornings of private lessons with Steve Angus for confidence and technique.
ski holidays     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy