Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice please: Rossignol Hero 110 flex boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I stupidly left my ancient ski boots at home, and am now in the Dolomites, skiing in a nasty pair or rental boots and trying to decide whether to buy a pair of Advice Rossignol Hero 110 flex boots in the morning.

A bit of background: I've been skiing for 20 years and ski just about everything -- with great enjoyment but zero grace. I played ice hockey (women's) before I learned how to ski and after all these years still ski like I'm on skates.

I'm also a middle aged mamma, so definitely not a speed fiend. But I like to be in total control of my skis and like a boot where I can actually feel the ski. From what I've read, the Hero line is for racers, which is definitely not me, but the Nordica Nxt3's that I tried on felt like slippers; I couldn't imagine skiing in them.

I liked the feel of the Hero boots in the store, but am not sure if they are too much of a boot for me, and whether they'll kill my feet - though they felt more comfortable than the boots I've been skiing in for 15 years.

All thoughts and suggestions very welcome. Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @ski_family, and welcome to Snowheads.
If you post which resort you are in someone may well chime up with a recommendation for a good bootfitter in the area (or warnings about bad ones). A good fitter should be able to tell you which boots are right for you. You don't say if you've had advice, or have just been trying boots on. The other concern is that the shops may only have a limited range this late in the season, so you might get what they've got rather than what is right.
Have you tried going back to the hire shop and trying different hire boots?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We are at La Villa. It is end of season, but the Hero looks like a very good boot, and gets good reviews online. But it's more of a racing boot, so i'm not sur if that makes a difference for mixed terrain, moguls, powder (or slush) etc. or how comfortable they would be all day. The rental shop seems to have a very limited selection.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How heavy are you? If you are bigger (ime) a race type boot can be fine, if lighter you'll find it tougher to flex and it can reinforce static\back seat tendencies. My old race boots also had too much forward lean for me which i found uncomfortable when queuing\cruising\walking. I swapped them for a pair of slipper style head boots and never looked back. That said, most modern boots do a good job on comfort, if they are comfy for 20-30mins instore it's more the flex I'd be worried about. Jess
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can make the boot a bit softer by removing one of the bolts at the back. A lot depends on your weight and strength. My daughter has a stiffer boot than 110, but she is very strong and relatively heavy (you should see her lifting weights in the gym!).

I ski in race boots all the time. No problem to ski all day in them. But the fit is critical. Can the shop make boot fitting adjustments?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for the info.

Jess. I took your advice and walked around in the boots for half an hour in the shop lady night, and decided against them. The rental place had a bigger selection this morning and the replacement pair is better and will get me through the week.

I'll hunt for new boots when we're home. If anyone has any recommendations, let me know. If it helps, I weigh 57kg and am reasonably fit ( for a middle aged woman with a desk job - nothing like hyperkub's daughter!). [/table]
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Recommendations are not necessarily helpful, as everyones feet / bodies / skiing are different, boots that someone else loves might be dreadful for you. You'd be better to find a good boot fitter and take their advice, especially if your feel are in any way unusual. If you can post your approximate home location someone will hopefully recommend somewhere not horrendously far away from you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Tubaski. That makes sense. We live in Rome.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow, ok - lucky you. Hopefully someone will have some ideas, I guess the usual list of UK places goes out the window!
Enjoy the rest of your holiday!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks! FYI - Rome is bliss on holiday; living there has it's headaches, though the coffee and food certainly help Very Happy Holiday has been fab. Definitely recommend Dolomites for beauty and variety (and food).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy