Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids boots, own or rent

Poster: A snowHead
What are parents thoughts on this, with a 8 year old I know I will only get 1 year out of them but in that year he could do approx 20 - 25 days on the slope. Is it worth getting his own or just stick to renting?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For 25 days probably worth buying if you are good at eBay etc

I have 6 grandchildren arriving on Saturday for a week and have hired everything. Job lot from Skimium, with discounts. really CBA to keep track of the changing sizes of 12 feet. IM (considerable) E kids ski happily in, and on, whatever they are given. At club level, budding racers etc it's obviously more complicated.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buy definitely. Its a crimbo / b'day present and although you may only get 1 year out of them it saves a lot of fav, cost in the long run and pain finding the right boots!

Our little one has got some Head boots, picked them up in Ellis Brigham for only £35 Madeye-Smiley (but then he is a midget!)

You should be able to pick up a brand new pair for circa £70, and even cheaper off Fleabay id imagine (Just be careful with sizing!)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonny996, We have always bought them for the grandchildren - though they do ski every week on dendix. Mainly secondhand at the ski club, then sell them later for the same amount! We have though bought a couple of pairs of Roces extendable boots which are lasting well - they cover enough sizes for about 3 years, and in a sale were only £35 per pair.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buy definately. The 2nd hand market is full of kids boots which have hardly been used. Lots of shops offer exchange too. The Roces adjustable boots are good it they are not that advanced.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Our local shop had a good range of second hand boots
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is cost effective and hassle effective (avoid hire shops) to buy old seasons models or second hand, particularly if he has younger siblings to pass boots on to. That's what we do. And I think a snug fit is less important for kids given their lower height and weight.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are ski boots that 'grow' but I'm not sure it's worth the cost/effort:

http://www.roces-snow.com/it/
http://en-gb.fulltiltboots.com/ski-boots/growth-spurt
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jonny996, brother in law grew through three pairs one winter...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski boots ain't like street shoes so buying 'em with plenty of growing room can have an impact on safety. If the boot is too big then in a fall the foot can 'torque' a lot more before it applies sufficient pressure to the inside of the boot to then push/pull the boot out of the binding.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A .young member of my family had ski boots for Christmas one year and had grown out of them before his holiday. They sat under the bed in my apartment for a few years, never quite the right fit for anyone else, and eventually flogged on ebay. For kids who only ski a week or so each year I'll stick to hiring.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes worth buying and as @spyderjon, says don't be tempted to buy them too big. Size to fit properly at the start of the season and they will probably last the season. My theory is that the liner bedding in / packing out allows a bit of room for growth. If they aren't too bashed you will be able to get a reasonable price on here or eBay.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
There are ski boots that 'grow' but I'm not sure it's worth the cost/effort:

http://www.roces-snow.com/it/

I'm glad someone mentioned Roces, but totally can't undertand the cost/effort comment. In my view, cost and effort are the two key reasons for buying them. The cost option is obvious, so I'll focus on the second, which is even more important.

We bought small Roces for son1 and some smaller unisize boots for son2. I was expecting the Roces boots to suck diabolically. I only bought them as an emergency boot to have available if we did last minute trip to Scotland. As everyone knows, hiring kit for a quick trip in Scotland is an utterly nightmarish experience and you need t be ready to go at a moments notice. I fully expected him to hate using them and we'd hire a pair in resort every time we headed to the Alps for a week. In the end they were fine, couldn't believe it. No complaints at all, he just used them.

Then we bought the medium/big size and he's still fine. We rewound the little ones down 3 sizes to they fit wean2 and he is also using them no problem.

We did last minute trips to Scotland at Christmas and New Year last year, and various trips the years before. It reduces the stress levels hugely. You go to the resort that has snow and looks good. You don't dick about hiring kit. You don't worry about the stupid cost of one days hire.
We also use the for Alps skiing. St Anton this year, Germany at Christmas, Dolomites last year and 3 years ago etc etc. Neither of them is a great skier, but they were happy on blacks, snow park, easy boxes and some good off piste in them.

I think we've had about 7 ski weeks out of them and maybe 7 weekends in total For a total price of around £100.

what's not to like?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for the adjustable boots. My daughter has been very happy in them, 2 seasons and counting despite growing like a weed. Having boots that she's happy in is important, it's not just adults that have unusual shaped feet and previously we've had difficulty with other boots so £25 on offer from sports direct was a no brainer.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Having seen Roces in the flesh and wasn't overly impressed with the build quality so maybe not for the serious skiier, but apparently they stretch over 6 sizes.

Have bought some boots for ours but second hand and cheap so not fussed if only get the odd season out of them. Will flick them off with the skis when they get too small.

But really renting seems fine at that age, never had a complaint about any rental pair from either sprog (unlike many of the adults on this site wink )
latest report
Quote:

what's not to like?

They do sound good. Still we have bought second hand conventional boots for £40 and got 7 weeks use out of them across two kids then sold them on for close to what we paid for them. I'm not saying that is a better approach but its a decent alternative.
ski holidays
Another +1 for Roces. Both mine have them and the elder is on her 2nd pair in the next size up.

One slight negative point to mention, the longer boot sole length in the size up (the size with the 3 clips) might be too long for non-rental bindings. I had to get her bindings remounted.
ski holidays
No complaints from my 6yro about her roces, solid shell, gets bashed about a lot, only complaint was when she said they were too small, so extended them and she was happy again, this is her 2nd season in them, plenty of sessions at hemel with them and several trips to the mountains.

No idea how they'd do in race or freestyle, but certainly no issues for normal speeds on piste (which is usually straight lining knowing her).

For the price they can't be beaten, she also knows how they feel and the weight
latest report
While my kids feet were growing I used to buy ski boots on ebay, only picking up the bargains, then sell them when they'd been grown out of. If you're smart you only loose the cost of shipping.
ski holidays
Thanks for replies, have rented for April & will look to get the Roces for next season. There does not seem to be to many retailers of these in UK, anyone got any names?
latest report
Don't know about the Roces but Ski Barlett do a similar concept in a Full Tilt Growth Spurt boot

http://www.skibartlett.com/ski-boots-c4/ski-boots-c14/junior-ski-boots-c120/full-tilt-m55

They seem to get good reviews on US sites.
snow conditions
Another +1 on roces, which you can get from amazon thus return easily. We found the sizing was slightly large, i.e. what roces call an 18.5 seemed more like a 19.

However, they are a relatively low cut and quite soft boot which for younger/lower level kids is great (they are really comfy) but as they get better they will start to outski them. My son's skiing improved significantly when, after about 4 weeks of skiing, we moved him to some Lange boots.
latest report
@snowdave, That trough's up another issue. the youngest who will be getting these is currently size 21, so I am thinking by next season he will be up at the 22.5 starting point for the largest of the Roces but he is currently doing his level 7 on a UK dry slope, so with a lease 4 weeks a year of skiing, will his ability out grow the boot before his feet do, if that is the case then traditional boots might be the way.
snow report
@Jonny996, at 4 weeks a year plus regular plastic that plenty of justification for his own full-spec boot. My 8yo* (who started with the smallest Roces) is now using 4-clip junior race boots (2nd/3rd hand) and 125cm slalom skis and rockets around the pistes.

*Although he keeps reminding us he's 9 in less than 2 weeks time.
ski holidays
@Jonny996, I agree with RobW, on that much skiing you might as well spend £50-60 at Ekosport and get a 'normal' pair. I buy a little large and put a second, rigid, insole inside which takes up the slack of about half a size.

If you definitely want some mid size Roces I've got a little-used pair you can have for £20 + postage (or collect them from me in Cham).

Typically I get the Lange RSJ 50/60/65 for <£60/pair brand new from Ekosport. Their stock levels vary, but keep an eye on the site and some will likely appear.
snow report
You never really know how long they will last - I got my now 8 year old some skis and Lange boots in Ekosport shop on the way to Tignes for an October camp in 2014, well sized at the time. He was needing longer skis by the end of last season, but the boots actually lasted him this entire season as well.

Looking for the next size up for the past while, but no joy yet!
snow conditions
If you are struggling with UK retail on Roces and are interested in ordering from the States a friend of mine has used this company and was happy with the result, and pricing seems pretty good too.

https://www.levelninesports.com/
ski holidays
@Jonny996, if he is doing his L7 at Hillend he will probably want to graduate on to Super Racers on a Saturday morning so a more technical boot may be better. Toofy Grin I may have a pair of Rossignol Hero JR65 in a 22.5 becoming available. My son says his are getting a bit tight so I need to shell check him soon. The white isn't as white as it once was but all the buckles are perfect and the liner is in very good condition.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gaza, Thanks Gaza, keep me informed, I am away on Friday so will see what the hire shop give him. FYI Decathlon are doing good deals on the Rossignol Hero at the moment if you are looking for new ones, these were some of the ones I was thinking for him
snow report
@Jonny996, the boots Decathlon are selling are the Hero J4 which is a softer boot than the Hero JR 65. Depending on what you plan for your 8 year old they may well work for a season although the website is only showing larger size availability.

I'm tempted to go for the same boots again as they seem to be comfortable and my son hasn't complained (until this weekend) about having sore feet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy