Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drinking not to forget, but to remember

Poster: A snowHead
When you're pining for the ski lifestyle, is there a particular drink that really brings back memories of what it was like, and you sometimes drink deliberately in reminiscing, or in anticipation of returning?

If so, what is it? And is there an associated resort it reminds you of?

E.g. Chartreuse, Genepi, Drambuie, Benedictine, Leffe, Hoegaarden, Vov/Ovo, Vin chaud/Gluwein, Hot chocolate with rum/brandy, etc.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 16-03-16 15:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hot chocolate. Doesn't need anything in it. I never normally drink hot chocolate any other time. When I used to work on civil service selection boards the coffee machine used to offer hot choc. I occasionally had one.... Just to dream a little.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cranberry schnapps, drunk outside the Hochwurzenalm watching the sun set behind the mountains before a huge plate of ribs, sour cream, potatoes and sauerkraut washed down with Schladminger. Then hurtling down the 7km rodelbahn before more beer in the Tauernalm. Was there in Schaldming this time last week........ Crying or Very sad

Andy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hot Wine (for Europe) or a Caesar (for Canada)........
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Vin Chaud
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Erdinger weissbier.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hot chocolate with Brandy,.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When you live somewhere like here, you get glühwein all winter, so I associate that more with christmas markets rather than ski slopes.
Chartreuse or rum in hot chocolate is something I'd only consider in a (french) ski resort. Hot chocolate alone is rank. Except italian hot chocolate, that you basically have to eat.
Erdinger weissbier is an isotonic post sports drink, and better post MTB ride in summer, and refreshing. (technically it's the alcohol free weissbier that's claimed to have isotonic benefits, but alcohol free weissbier is revolting. even the local ones here are now sold with labelling suggesting that it is used as a post-sports drink).

7km rodelbahn sounds ace.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for Erdinger.

Either that or a big vase of Leffe.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Drinking some rocket fuel out of a Grole in the Savoie.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 16-03-16 20:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Vin Chaud

Except when I try to make it in the UK it tastes horrible and I wonder why I ever drink the stuff.

Likewise has anyone successfully made tarteflete?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
After Morzine this year: Toffee Vodka, it's the future.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After 10 Flugels in the Yeti in Tignes some 15 years ago, I shall never forget the place even though it is now Carrefour as I didn't sleep for 48 hours. Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
acute_angina wrote:
+1 for Erdinger.

Either that or a big vase of Leffe.

+2
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pelforth brune.
latest report
johnE wrote:

Unfortunately, yes.

I have been so successful, my other half now requires me to cook Tartiflette whenever she wishes to treat anyone to a really tasty dinner. I have made Tartiflette so many times I feel I have a glimpse of what a chalet host must go through.

Incidentally, I can confidently state that one MUST use Reblochon cheese - unless one is cooking for philistine vagrants, in which case the fake Reblochon, so called, 'Tartiflette cheese' can be used.

NB I've not tried cooking Croziflette, so someone else can pipe up for that one.
snow report
KennyEverett wrote:

If you're feeling cheap then dissolve Werther's Originals in normal vodka for the same effect. You can use the really cheap stuff but do still get the harsh burn, so a mid-range Smirnoff or the like is your best bet. Other good options are sorting out skittles to separate flavours (the red one is a favourite), soaking and then straining them off (through a cheap white t-shirt is a good way). Drumsticks also make surprisingly nice flavoured vodka.

My favourite sweet based drink doesn't actually require a sweet at all, just mix sambuca with coke and it'll taste like Blackjacks...it also reminds me of skiing, having been my cocktail of choice in Livigno Very Happy It's not to everyone's taste though...in fact I only know one other person who agrees it's a taste sensation.
snow conditions
Caramel Vodka for me - preferably not the premixed stuff, but a whopping glass of vodka with a dark of caramel syrup and a lump of ice!! I didn't really drink until I found Caramel Vodka Smile

Also - after this season, Genepi. I have some very happy memories of lunches with friends finishing with Genepi Smile

I've kind of learnt to drink wine this season too - but I don't have any memories based on wine, the Genepi overtakes the wine big style Smile Smile
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
KennyEverett wrote:

If you're feeling cheap then dissolve Werther's Originals in normal vodka for the same effect. You can use the really cheap stuff but do still get the harsh burn, so a mid-range Smirnoff or the like is your best bet. Other good options are sorting out skittles to separate flavours (the red one is a favourite), soaking and then straining them off (through a cheap white t-shirt is a good way). Drumsticks also make surprisingly nice flavoured vodka.

No no no no!!!! Caramel Syrup (Teissiere is my favourite - not sure I've spelt it right) is the way forward. Werther's dissolved in vodka is totally different Smile
snow conditions
chaletgirl wrote:
No no no no!!!! Caramel Syrup (Teissiere is my favourite - not sure I've spelt it right) is the way forward. Werther's dissolved in vodka is totally different Smile

Very Happy I'm quite happy with my cheap festival binge, along with box wine it's the alcohol which is easiest to carry and least temperature affected...granted these aren't massive issues in resort
snow report
Quote:

My favourite sweet based drink doesn't actually require a sweet at all, just mix sambuca with coke and it'll taste like Blackjacks...it also reminds me of skiing, having been my cocktail of choice in Livigno It's not to everyone's taste though...in fact I only know one other person who agrees it's a taste sensation.

Not a sensation - but a true reflection of the taste

If you want a drink that you should "forget to drink" then it's the one and only #BOMBARDINO Twisted Evil
snow conditions
I have a large glass of Himbeergeist on the go at the moment. What was it I was trying to forget?
ski holidays
Pear schnapps with a piece of canned pear in syrup, with a dash of the syrup (we finally worked out the Kitzloch recipe for pear-schnapps-that's-not-link-drinking-petrol).
latest report
@chaletgirl,
Quote:

No no no no!!!! Caramel Syrup (Teissiere is my favourite - not sure I've spelt it right) is the way forward. Werther's dissolved in vodka is totally different
Good point. I made the Werther's stuff and wasn't convinced. The caramel syrup may be a better option. Quantities?
latest report
hot chocolate with spiced rhum.... (white chocolate even better)
snow report
yorkshirelad wrote:
hot chocolate with spiced rhum.... (white chocolate even better)

Or just Spiced Rum...

Specifically Stroh.... no poncey hot chocolate to water down the Stroh Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hazelnut schnapps. I have some at home for this very purpose.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@chaletgirl,
Quote:

No no no no!!!! Caramel Syrup (Teissiere is my favourite - not sure I've spelt it right) is the way forward. Werther's dissolved in vodka is totally different
Good point. I made the Werther's stuff and wasn't convinced. The caramel syrup may be a better option. Quantities?

It's personal taste really. I guess I do 3/4 vodka to 1/4 syrup - sometimes 2/3 - 1/3. Depends on how good the vodka is and how sweet you like your drinks (cheap, burny vodka needs lots more syrup!) Smile (Teissiere also do a lush Morello Cherry syrup, but its not my 'mountain' memory taste, just really nice! Smile )

You can use the caramel syrup that they put in coffee - I think it is Monin? But again, personal taste Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Being an unemployed Seasonairre, Lidl wine. At €2 for a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc how can you go wrong? Blush

Leffe Royale was another favourite. An 11% pint after a disastrous off piste route down the Toviere in Tignes in the blazing sun, that almost knocked me off my stool half way through!

We've also been partial to having a nip of Talisker after a particularly brutal bootpack/powder day.
snow report
Flugal - shot of red vodka, shot of red bull in the skiwelt Austria Very Happy
ski holidays
Stroh should be banned... Or a warning that it shoukd only be used as paint remover..
snow report
Kaltenberg Weissbier

@yorkshirelad, Obstler is paint remover
ski holidays
@SnoodyMcFlude, @chaletgirl, some excellent suggestions for ridiculous summer bbq drinking games there. Thanks
snow report
Obstler is good.
Stroh is bad.

Remember a german girl at one of our parties adding a drop (Stroh 80?) to the glühwein we made. That certainly had a kick to it.

Flugal, I think is spelled Vloegel (my Dutch is a bit rusty these days, where it is the street drink of choice).

PS I'd do Kola Kube vodka. The colour confuses people, when the flavour doesn't match the colour. Skittles vodka too, but you have to sort colours (at least in to similar colour groups)
ski holidays
@andy, or for that delicious Skittles taste you can have Cointreau and Red Bull.

From memory some skittles colours are better than others, seem to remember that the orange one was particularly unpleasant. You do need to be careful with it too, it's so tasty that sometimes it's easy to forget that you're drinking neat 40% vodka.
ski holidays
@yorkshirelad,

Stroh comes in 5 flavours Stroh 38, Stroh 40, Stroh 54, Stroh 60 and Stroh 80. The number is the Alcohol % by Vol.

So yes Stroh 60 & 80 is basically paint stripper. But Stroh 54 is just strong Rum and 38 & 40 are just 'Normal'.

I basically drink any golden / Dark Rum neat so I'll drink Stroh 38, 40, 54 and maybe 60 neat but 80 is just if your feeling hardcore a bit like absinthe at 70%+. Stroh 80 is added to Gluwein etc and isn't really for being drunk neat.

Flugal is basically Sourz for Dutch Teenagers from what I remember being told by some Dutch guys in Spain some years ago.
ski holidays
@impingu1984, over 80%, you tend to get the gag/retch reaction, i.e. an instinctive poison response.

Unless, of course, you're a bit of an alky and have taught your instincts not to be such a wuss.
latest report
@crosbie, yeah at 80% you do gag, just learnt how to battle through it.

Not an Alky, just an idiot with idiot friends. I drank plenty of 80% absinthe neat shots in my early 20s with friends. Looking back 10 years later it was pretty stupid that we'd have 3-5 shots in the space of 2 hours. Of course it we were completely smashed afterwards.

It was at the time when binge drinking culture was at it's peak, just before they allowed Nightclubs to stay open after 2am. And had nightclubs doing £10 in free drinks all night type deals.
ski holidays
A nice Jagertea brings back happy memories of Austrian bars. Oh, and heiße witwes Toofy Grin
snow conditions
johnE wrote:

Yes. I often bring a reblochon home after a trip to France and can knock up a pretty convincing tartiflette.

To answer the original question - genepi. Never leave a French ski trip without as much as I can fit into my weight allowance. I'm enjoying one right now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy