Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying a group to Salzburg (Flachau)

Poster: A snowHead
We're plotting a group trip up an Austrian Alp next year (probably Flachau) for about 20 people... I know, gluttons for punishment.
Anyhoo having some issues tracking down a potential airline...

Looking for a direct flight from one of the London airports to Salzburg, anyone got any recommendations on who to tap up?

So far this is the state of play...
Quote:

RyanAir have come back with £400pp+ luggage.
BA have no availability for a group of 20 as it's peak times. (!?!)
Lufthansa don't fly to Salzburg.
Nor to Austrian direct.
Easyjet release their flights mid May.
Monarch did run the route this year but may be discontinuing that route apparently, they said call back in August...

What says the Collective?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fly to Munich. You'll have much better chance of getting 20 in there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In today's press there are reports that Ryanair are introducing a private charter to their fleet. The 737 will carry upto 60 passengers and you pay per hour for its cost plus handling charges at the airport. Might be worth considering for a large party.

I am amazed that Lufthanza do not fly to Salzburg, changing in either Munich or Frankfurt
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@musher, Munich is the fallback option but as that 20 includes a fair number of Jnrs, we were trying to keep the transfer times to a minimum.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I am amazed that Lufthanza do not fly to Salzburg, changing in either Munich or Frankfurt

they probably do, but using their Austrian Airlines subsidiary.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Richard_Sideways, a decent transfer company driver will have lots of options for avoiding the usual suspect hold-up locations. Depending on when it is you want to travel you can easily do this trip in 2.5 hours. Compared to many of the transfer routes to and from some resorts, this route could not be more child-friendly in terms of being motorway door-to-door with no major climbs or twisting turny narrow mountain roads. The airport to A92 link is less than 5 minutes under normal conditions and from the A10 into Flachau section is less than a kilometre to centre of the village
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy wrote:
Quote:

they probably do, but using their Austrian Airlines subsidiary.

Correct. Via Frankfurt. Note austrian will charge £35 each way for skis even though Lufthansa is free
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Samerberg Sue, @holidayloverxx, thank you for your local knowledge! And that Lufthansa has free ski carriage.

I've finally found the group portal on the Lufthansa site so now tapping up some travel agent friends to do that for us and have found some Sunday - Sunday accom to take advantage of marginally cheaper Sunday flights.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@holidayloverxx,
I recently flew to Innsbruck via Frankfurt with a combination of LH & Austrian and there was no charge?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@musher, Munich is the fallback option but as that 20 includes a fair number of Jnrs, we were trying to keep the transfer times to a minimum.

Understand the4 problem. We took junior to Livigno from Milan when he was about 18 months. We weren't popular on that coach Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
musher wrote:
@holidayloverxx,
I recently flew to Innsbruck via Frankfurt with a combination of LH & Austrian and there was no charge?

Twice I have phoned to book skis on and both times was told to ring Austrian and there would be a charge. How did you do it?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've just returned from saalbach. Party of 16. We used lufthansa to Munich. Free ski and boots carriage and free drinks on the plane. Hired a coach so had plenty of room to spread out. Yes it's a bit longer than salzburg, but if booked early it's cheaper.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx wrote:
musher wrote:
@holidayloverxx,

Twice I have phoned to book skis on and both times was told to ring Austrian and there would be a charge. How did you do it?

We booked the flights through the Lufthansa web site, then Mrs M called them to add the skis. I don't remember if it said at the time of booking that the second leg was with Austrian. I'll dig out the emails and see if it says anything.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx,
The original booking email has LH flight numbers for both legs, but with the Innsbruck leg operated by Tyrolean. It was definitely an Austrian Bombardier on the day. We booked in Feb last year. Has it changed recently?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@musher, last few years
ski holidays
@musher, just looked...tyrolean merged with Austrian in March last year
ski holidays
I'm not too sure if you can do this but I flew to Salzburg with Thomson (Crystal ski) for a package holiday but I am sure you could book the flights only on their site.
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, Munich via LH
ski holidays
We booked BA to Salzburg last year for November training in Kaprun and after a few months they cancelled their early season Saturday flights so we ended up flying to Munich anyway. No compensation for the car parking we pre paid at Gatwick when the new flight was Heathrow nor for the increase in flight price nor increase in transfer. BA just told us to contact our insurer!. In bad weather Salzburg flights end up in Munich anyway so its a safer bet
ski holidays
Booked Heathrow to Munich for Easter weekend with Lufthansa. £460 for 4 people, with luggage, and free boot bag carriage (not sure about ski carriage). Thought that was pretty reasonable. Going to Flachau from there, hopefully in under 3 hrs!
snow conditions
@james75, yes free ski ski carriage
ski holidays
@james75, should not be a major travel problem as most people in this neck of the woods started their holidays on Friday of last week. The great migration to the sun which drives Europeans lemming like to the Med did not occur on Saturday although the flow of traffic heading south and east was fairly solid even quite late in the day. Another wave should set off on Friday/Saturday next weekend (your arrival date but nobody is expecting it to be a mega migration à la Half Term (even that did not really appear this year either) wink Of course one overturned Dutch caravan on the Irschenberg can snarl up the whole system within seconds! rolling eyes rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
Shame we're not in Manchester@Richard_Sideways, their to Munich with Singapore airlines on half term Saturday's £165 return.
snow report
I cheat I use skyscanner

https://www.skyscanner.net/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy