Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Venice Arabba Transfers

Poster: A snowHead
Clearly there is an awful lot of experience of this resort with SH, bashes in particular, and probably the wrong time of year to research this properly on the Internet, but considering visiting Arabba next season and flying into VCE. Anyone that visited this season able to give me an idea of cost for 4 persons, 1 with skis, for transfers? Private preferably, but shared an option and I know there is a shuttle bus. Sure also that this info exists within the forum but after reading several of the 43 pages relating to the latest bash my eyes began to boggle! I also kept returning to the video of the skiing in the excellent snow so thanks to whoever posted it. Cheers in advance for any help or recommendations.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where are you flying from. Treviso is nearer and Innsbruck nearer still
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I plan to fly into VCE, Venice Marco Polo. I know the others are fractionally closer, though the Innsbruck journey may encounter more other weekend traffic through the valleys in my opinion, but VCE offers the best option for me when balancing flight cost, UK airport, flight times and accessibility of hire cars.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@toyah807, If you want a private transfer then I can recommend venicecab, you'll see that for 4 persons from Venice Marco Polo to Arabba they charge 210 Euros one way. You'll see from this page they also serve Venice Treviso airport but they don't show their rates, I guess you'd have to get them to quote for that.

There's a good value transfer bus service from Venice Airports (Marco Polo and Treviso) which I think runs at weekends only. It used to be run by Dolomitistars, but following some dispute for the last 2 years the Arabba Fodom Tourist Office have run their own service. Looking at the Dolomitistars website however it still seems to mention them serving Arabba also, I don't know if this is the case, but rest assured there will be an airport transfer service run by one or other of these organisations (or possibly both?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, Alastair, I will look into those.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
These guys do private transfers https://www.ski-lifts.com/transfers/arabba/

Shared shuttle here http://www.arabba.it/en/information/where-we-are/6-0.html#Autobus
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Venice is the best option unless you're relatively close to Stansted, where Treviso is closer to the Dolomites and usually the cheapest flights
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Arabba tourist coach was 46E return IIRC. (from MArco Polo)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure if you would consider hiring and self driving. We (4 adults) did in 2016 and specifically hired a Mercedes Vito (minibus type thing) which had more than enough room for 4 plus luggage Inc 3 sets of skis. Arabba was an easy drive from Venice. Don't recall the exact cost but significantly less than the figure mentioned by Alastair.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@toyah807, go self drive.... I do this.

Firstly, if any of your group get a lot of air miles then this can make a car cheap. Two years ago... ford kuga was £120 with miles. Last year.... Ford Focus inc chains was £100 for 12 days.

There are 4 of you so even paying full price for a car will cost you each about another £30-40.

Accommodation in arabba is sat to sat and difficult to get extra single days (not impossible)

What I suggest is fly on Friday and get a car...... drive to near arabba. E.g. Alleghe then up early on sat morning and drive the last 30-40 mins depending on snow. Then ski all day Saturday. Saturday is transfer day so you have the whole mountain to yourself (okay not quite but less people) and will t a s heaven.

If you are doing a week with bus transfers you get 6 days skiing. By using the car, you get the first saturday..... and you ski the second Saturday until 4pm.... then drive down somewhere near Venice and stay one overnight followed by a quick sprint down empty roads on Sunday morning and fly back. Gives you 8 days on the slopes.

With a car you can also pop over to cortina mid week as well.

Me and @paulc1984 did this last year.... few days in Cortina then over for the birthday bash.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks, folks, car hire on the list too and sounds good but we will be restricted to the weekend arrival scenario, so the Friday arrival and Sunday departure prob wouldn't work for us.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
toyah807 wrote:
Thanks, folks, car hire on the list too and sounds good but we will be restricted to the weekend arrival scenario, so the Friday arrival and Sunday departure prob wouldn't work for us.

I'm looking at not this first for a trip so if you want any advice on stopping points let me know.

I'm used to a l ot of trip searching.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The shuttle services provided from Venice or Treviso by Arabba Fodom and by Dolomiti Stars are subsidized by different groups of hotels and are good value but you need to use the one aligned to your accommodation or you can use Dolimiti Stars at a higher cost.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All of this is really helpful, thanks. Something else that has cropped up is the ski bus access to other areas from Arabba.....I will be staying at the Bellavista, somewhere the forum clearly knows well! I fancy visiting Kronplatz for a days skiing, I want to get round to Selva and may even consider Cortina (though for a first visit to the Dolomites that one may be lowest down the order). Would the first two be made way easier if I had a hire car available? I would rather not hire if I am honest but clearly if it is much more practical during the week to just jump in a hire car then I might bite the bullet. If the buses zip round to other villages I could avoid it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@toyah807, Well as regards Selva it's directly on the Sella Ronda (approx half way round either way clockwise or anticlockwise), so from Arabba you can ski to Selva in approx one and a half hours. I'm not familiar with the details of how you'd get to Kronplatz, but a quick internet search shows that there is a free skibus service between the Pedraces chairlift sponata to the access point to the Kronplatz skiing region at the cable car Piculin. You can ski from Arabba to the Pedraces sponata chairlift (which incidentally is the chairlift which connects with the Santa Croce chairlift that takes you up to the Santa Croce/Heiligenkreuz refuge and ski area which is highly recommended)

As regards Cortina you could get there by skiing to Armentarola, taking the frequent taxi shuttle service from there to Passo Falzarego (costs 6 Euros I think) then taking the skibus from there to Cortina (see last season's timetable ).

However if it's your first time to the area rather than go from Passo Falzarego to Cortina I'd recommend taking the cable car from Passo Falzarego up to the top of the Lagazuoi, from where there are great views and which is the start of the famous Hidden Valley run (with the horse drawn tow at the bottom).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 16-05-17 10:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@toyah807, there is more than enough skiing for you to contend with without visiting Kronplatz to be fair. Seriously there is so much for you to do on and around the Sella Ronda without the need to hop on a bus or drive a car. Although to visit Cortina you will need a short bus ride.
ski holidays
We have been to Kronplatz and there used to be a free buss from la villa, have to say that it might not be worth the trip if as you say it is your first trip and there is so to ski or ride on your doorstep - the selle ronda is a skiers bucket list must do.
snow report
Anyone recommend a private transfer from vce to arabba - need to get up there on a friday and prefer not to rent a car.
snow report
essex wrote:
Anyone recommend a private transfer from vce to arabba - need to get up there on a friday and prefer not to rent a car.

I have used these guys, they turned up on time both ways.

https://www.ski-lifts.com/transfers/arabba/
ski holidays
TQA wrote:
essex wrote:

Any ball park prices TQA?
snow conditions
@essex, Cant you get there on the Thursday??

I seem to remember the Bus runs Thursdays as well now...
snow report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@toyah807,
Me and @paulc1984 did this last year.... few days in Cortina then over for the birthday bash.

Which was ace Happy - those couple of days in cortina and popping over to Arabba for a coffee to catch up with the locals was ggoooooodd Happy
snow conditions
So I always check out the rome2rio site for any transfer 'Stuff' - it usually gives all local transport link, trains, buses etc

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Venice-Airport-VCE/Arabba
ski holidays
maccaa wrote:
TQA wrote:
essex wrote:

Any ball park prices TQA?

Sorry don't remember but I think it was slightly more than hire car costs.

2 pers no FF miles to make the hire cheaper.
latest report
Ian Kenvyn wrote:
We have been to Kronplatz and there used to be a free buss from la villa, have to say that it might not be worth the trip if as you say it is your first trip and there is so to ski or ride on your doorstep - the selle ronda is a skiers bucket list must do.

what he said - I did a day in Kronplatz and enjoyed it, but if it's your first trip to Dolomites (and especially if in Arabba) then don't bother. It's basically like skiing an icemagic chocolate sauce bottle where the steeper stuff is near the bottom and the flatter stuff is near the top. Some amusing diversions towards the Piculin (?sp) and the black itself but is it really surprising that Moutainsun have dropped their (supposedly quite nice) chalet there this season?

Once you've ticked off (in no particular order)

- Hidden Valley
- Ronda both ways
- Marmolada
- Santa Croce
- The cake stop and the james bond run to Ortisei

you've probably used up 5 or 6 of your days out, and you've still got lots to go at...
snow report
Local arabba taxis seem to be least expensive i can find at about E280 one way from VCE. Let me know if anyone finds a better deal.
http://www.arabba.it/en/arabba/taxi-mobility/19-1593.html
snow report
@essex, did you look at the venicecabs link I gave in my earlier post? They are currently showing a cab for 1-3 persons from Venice Marco Polo to Arabba as 200 Euros...
snow conditions
Thanks Alastair, i will take another look. It came back closer to 500 when i tried.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy