Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does it exist- Apres of St Anton & the pistes of 3 Valleys?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I have just had a lovely week in Meribel, although visibility was often awful, the snow was great and I loved the runs. Not too busy, well connected, well laid out and mostly all wide with very few bottlenecks.

However, although extremely fun to ski, the Apres in Meribel has (in my opinion) the distinct touch of people there to be seen rather than have fun. In addition, overpriced bottles of champagne, spirits etc.

Compare the Apres in Meribel to St Anton, and in St Anton you have various Apres bars where no one cares what you are drinking or wearing, they just want you to do the conga!

But, I didn't enjoy the St Anton ski area as much, it is far busier, many bottlenecks and generally I would say more difficult skiing with many narrower pistes.

So...is there a place that exists that is similar to the 3 Valleys in terms of thevtypes of pistes, but also like St Anton when it comes to Apres?

I realise that the 3 Valleys is the largest ski area in Europe, but St Anton does not have a single green run. It is not size of ski area, but the type of pistes.

Thanks
R

EDIT...

An important change, is that we need to stay in a self contained chalet for about 8-12 people. I have learnt that Saalbach-Hinterglemm does not really offer this.

So anywhere else?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 23-03-16 16:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ischgl might be worth considering.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saalbach Hinterglemm would suit superbly. Have been to both (3 valleys & S/H) multiple times and couldn't give a fig if I never went back to 3 valleys again as though the skiing is good the skiing and apres in S/H is superb giving me a far greater overall holiday experience.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are no green runs in Austria.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val D'sere has a very lively nightlife and apre scene and, in many ways better skiing than the 3v although it is more suited to advanced skiers than the 3V.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are after champagne in 3 Valleys, get to Folie Douce in VT, stand on a table at the front by the DJ booth, they spray it all over you for nothing! Just don't buy any from there as a bottle is just shy of €4k. Didn't think much of the apres in 3V tbh. They have a few bars and a nightclub called Malaysia but all very expensive. The Shamrock was ok priced. I would say Tignes has great apres ski and is more challenging skiing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
daveqpr wrote:
Saalbach Hinterglemm would suit superbly. Have been to both (3 valleys & S/H) multiple times and couldn't give a fig if I never went back to 3 valleys again as though the skiing is good the skiing and apres in S/H is superb giving me a far greater overall holiday experience.

+1 ( although surprised to see a Brentford fan agreeing with a QPR one ) Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ischgl skiing reminded me of France. Similar apres to St Anton. Dearer than St Anton?
Mayrhofen? Nice lively town, intermediate pistes, the only significant bottleneck might be at the gondola for the first ascent
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pjd wrote:
daveqpr wrote:

+1 ( although surprised to see a Brentford fan agreeing with a QPR one ) Laughing

Isn't it a bit low? Peak is only 2000m looking at current snow, there does not seem to be that much. My concern would be a warm snap might destroy the conditions.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Morzine? http://mpora.com/snowboarding/snowboarding-france-vs-austria-morzine-overtaking-mayrhofen-home-europes-best-apres-scene#I2lCJbYiCXrmZXOm.97
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You see it all depends on what you mean by apres. My idea is a quiet meal and couple of glasses of wine. Lots of places in every resort where that works.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Isn't it a bit low? Peak is only 2000m looking at current snow, there does not seem to be that much. My concern would be a warm snap might destroy the conditions

Depends when you want to go. If your thinking Christmas/January/February/early to mid March then it's almost always fine. If it's warm there then it will be warm else where. Plus as its further east than France it's generally accepted that you could add at least 300m to the same height for France.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pjd wrote:
daveqpr wrote:

Didn't know Brentford had any fans!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zermatt might fit the bill. Lots of terrain including cruisy stuff, and the Apres is pretty mega.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Saalbach is the place you need to go. Huge extent of intermediate skiing and absolutely rocking apres which I think is even more fun than St Anton.

Val d'Isere probably has the best apres in France, and is my favourite all-round resort. Generally more difficult skiing though.
latest report
1. Saalbach
2. Ischgl
snow report
+ 1 on Ischgl for good skiing and rowdy nightlife

Try the Schatzi bar
http://youtube.com/v/785g_Tqb1-0
snow report
We have been searching Europe for the last 10 years but are yet to find a place that we like as much as Courchevel.

Will have to try Saalbach !
snow conditions
Yes it does exist.

http://youtube.com/v/r-fATxvDDVI&ab_channel=clubbingtvofficial
VT
ski holidays
There are a lot more resorts in 3V than Meribel - they are all a little different in terms of apres. I'm a fan of the Funky Fox on Courchevel 1650 - not pretentious at all.
ski holidays
Stick to France if you want Carpet skiing.
St Anton is for OffPiste & Hard Apres

If you ski the groomers in St Anton you do not deserve Apres or waste seats drinkung areas at Apres Ski Very Happy

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 6-03-16 20:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Ahhhh, Schatzi Laughing Laughing

January 2016
latest report
Not Morzine- I live here and if I wanted Après a la St Anton I'd go back to Saalbach in a heartbeat
snow report
emwmarine wrote:
You see it all depends on what you mean by apres. My idea is a quiet meal and couple of glasses of wine. Lots of places in every resort where that works.

Yet they clearly do not want this so why comment? Is absurd when people have comments like this just cause they are not interested in proper après.
ski holidays
Agreed @madlondoner,
latest report
Verbier must be ok. The Pub, Fer a Cheval, Farinet Bar,Farm Club if you have the pocket and lots more I don't know . Good range of skiing , high, reads well on the CV.
ski holidays
Think it falls into the poseur après the OP was seeking to avoid @Farley Goode,
snow report
Think it falls into the poseur après the OP was seeking to avoid @Farley Goode,
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rossyl, As others have said, Saalbach is the resort you're looking for - but don't tell everyone wink The season runs from the beginning of December until mid-April, and, in a normal season, the snow is as reliable as Meribel. It's not the second most visited resort in the world for nothing! (http://www.isiaski.org/download/20140517_ISIA_Vuokatti_1b_presentation_vanat.pdf ) Conditions are currently excellent, by the way - snow depths more than adequate and fresh powder on and off-piste.
ski holidays
Zillertal has scale and pistes to match the 3V, but the areas are not all interlinked. I think if you add them up there's probably more skiing than the 3V, and the three main areas are each big enough to qualify as a big resort on their own. Traditional aprés ski can be had on the mountain and there seemed to be pretty rowdy bars at the bases of all the lifts too. That said I found it lacked the atmosphere of St Anton, but if you want a lot of pistes it's worth a look.

Ischgl has good aprés and is very much 3V style skiing IMHO.

Kitzbuehel is also worth a look, big area, lots of easy piste skiing and good aprés.

As previously mentioned there are no green runs in Austria (green lines on maps mean toboggan runs), Austria just has blue, red and black. Your assessment of St Anton's skiing is spot on though, there's not a huge amount of easy stuff and there are bottle necks. If I was looking for a week of piste skiing I wouldn't go there.

As for it being busy, it depends when you go, in my experience it's never as bad as France in Feb, but it can get pretty busy. Mid Jan or late March are my two favourite times to visit St Anton, avoiding school holidays, Fasching and the mid Feb to early March peak. April can also be superb but you have to be prepared to work with the weather and ensure you get down before it all turns to mashed potatoes.
snow report
Verbier.

Best resort in the world.
snow report
Another vote for Saalbach from me.
ski holidays
@rossyl, apart from the Après, the point about St Anton is the off-piste. On piste skiing is adequate, and surrounding areas have their charm, but as you have noted, other resorts have better on-piste skiing. If you take to off-piste and become competent, you might want to look at St Anton again. There are some challenging and enjoyable areas - though easily accessible powder does tend to get trashed quickly. It's been a while since I went, but I don't think much will have changed since I was there.
snow report
On the subject of off-piste, anyone who may be interested in what Saalbach has to offer, go on You Tube and search for "Richard Bergenholz Saalbach". Richard, who owns the Underbar, spends much of his time compiling mouth-watering videos of him and his Underbar colleagues skiing Saalbach's back country.
ski holidays
Ischgl or Saalbach/Hinterglemm without a doubt. Having skied St Anton loads, Ischgl twice and Hinterglemm once, I think Saalbach/Hinterglemm has the edge on apres over Ischgl. Ischgl is probably more snow sure than Saalbach however as a lot of the slopes are north facing. Personally I would opt for Saalbach or Hinterglemm
latest report
There's a fine line between poseur/knobhead and genuine fun apres. In fact the line may not even totally exist.
latest report
@TQA, good skiing yes, but the nightlife is pretty dreadful, as that clip amply demonstrates. I'm all for having a few drinks and dancing on tables after a day on the slopes, but not when they're professional lap dancers encouraging punters to slip euro notes into their pants.

Tacky, tasteless and degrading.
ski holidays
@Dr John, there are plenty of other places to go if you want to avoid that. Kitzloch is a good example of an inexpensive place for fun après ski.

http://www.kitzloch.at/
ski holidays
The Kitzloch is fantastic fun. We didn't like the sausage fest in the Schatzi bar, but as @nozawaonsen says, it's very easily avoided. Ischgl has more packed bars than any resort I've been to, all with something different to offer.
snow report
@HoneyBunny, did you end up doing the mass conga through the kitchen?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy