Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Opinons, please, on Saas Fee- I have seen mixed reports. I am intermediate, 6 yr old daughter w/ 2 weeks, and a non-ski-ing wife. Would be looking at half term 05 so I presume it would be v. busy?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saas Fee is growing on me, after a couple of visits. The intermediate skiing is very pleasant.
I skied with a guy who had non-skiing relatives with him - they seemed content.
The town is delightful. And Zermatt is worth a visit by skiers and non-skiers for an easy day trip.
I guess half-term would be crowded. But I know a teacher who organized several school trips there - so she can't have thought it too bad.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 22-04-04 13:16; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Wopple, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

We were in Saas Fee over New Year and enjoyed our holiday a great deal. I think on the scale of things Saas Fee would be good for a non-skier. There is a good range of walks around the neighbourhood and the village is pretty and lively.

Some nice nursery slopes close to the village, but the majority of the good ski-ing is above the middle station. As relative beginners (5 weeks) arriving in the village was a bit scarey, the village is surrounded by 13 pointy peaks exceeding 4000m, but the ski-ing above the middle station is not too ferocious.

Mountain restaurants a bit dire and the main lifts out of the village can get a bit busy, similarly the run down from the middle station to the village. Watch out for the 10 minute t-bar on the glacier, the Saas Feeians like a good t-bar and consider the chairlift to be the work of the devil...

Any questions, I'm happy to help!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi wopple, and welcome. What does your non-skiing wife do while you and daughter whiz round the slopes?
I do not know Saas Fee: I think Saas-Fee-Snowheads need to tell you about the non-skiing delights before you make up your mind.
And what about the ski school? Anyone?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wopple, welcome snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Guten abend wopple. I have been to Saas fee, Chamonix, and kitzbuhl during february half term with 2 young daughters and a none skiing wife. Both kitzbuhl and Chamonix were far more crowded than Saas Fee, and the second time we went to Kitzbuhl there was a lack of snow cover so we had to get the bus to the highest point and queue for ages. Saas Fee is much more snow sure.
First impressions when you arrive in the village are that the montains are too steep, and where are the easy runs for the chidren? But it is just an impression. There is no traffic allowed in the village apart from electric taxis which is a bonus.
There was a great deal going on in the village, there were bands, singers and a fancy dress festival in the evenings, ( one of the highlights was a local dressed as Eddie the Eagle who came down the cobbled main street on a pair of roller blades at high speed and turned off down a flight of stone steps without falling)! There was also an igloo on the main street which was being used as a bar.
The ski school was also quite good but as half the local populations surname is Zurbriggen, that is hardly surprising. There is also an open air ice rink near the ski school and nursery slopes.
Make sure you take hats and gloves if you go to the highest point on the lift system the wind chill will give you frost nipped ears in five minutes.
To sum up, out of the three resorts it is the one my wife would want to return to.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We went there specifically because we had a non-skier in the party three years ago (at half term). She seemed to be have a pretty good time - the scenery is as good as it gets (spectacular views of glacier from village), good mountain walks (there's a dedicated gondola lift just for walkers), nice cafes in the village, lots of character to the place (still has working farms in the village, and is traffic free).

Queues were manageable (it's too far from France to get the impact of the French half term). Skiing is a bit limited for those who like high mileage or variety, but fine for intermediates. Make sure you understand where in the village you are staying - it's a long, narrow village, with all the slopes at the top end, so if you are at the wrong end, it could be a 15 minute walk to and from the slopes (a long way with a 6 year old!).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Julian T wrote:
Queues were manageable (it's too far from France to get the impact of the French half term).

Also it's geography makes access difficult from Switzerland as well, even by Swiss standards it's a long way from major towns. This deters day trippers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We went to Saas Fee Xmas 02, and and had a great week.
Good intermediate skiing although would agree with Julian T, that it'a a bit limited if you're after high mileage piste bashing. Don't recall the queues being bad. All the T-bars can be a bit of a pain (there's only 1 chair!)
If you do end up the wrong end of the village (or even if you're not but you want less hassle like we did!) you can store skis and boots in lockers very near to the nursery slopes and main gondolas.
The nursery slopes are good in that they are not a through area, and there are gentle runs to progress to at the mid station. We had 2 complete beginners with us, one was happy on the blues up the mountain by mid-week and the other made good use of the off-slope diversions.
There's loads of walks to do, various shops, the village is lively throughout the day, and there's an ice cave up on the glacier. The scenery is stunning and best of all for non-skiers is that with all the gondolas and funicular, they can get right up to the top of the mountain, admire the great views, and also meet you for lunch without you having to ski all the way down to the village!
There's a whole mountain side (with it's own gondola) dedicated to walking and sledging. The sledge run is excellent fun, well worth doing, 5km long!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks to all for the feeback- shall start apartment-hunting now! any accomodation suggestions welcome.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think Interhome have a number of apartments in Saas Fee. They're generally quite good.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Catriona wrote:
I think Interhome have a number of apartments in Saas Fee. They're generally quite good.

I'd shop around, they take a huge commision which is bound to be reflected in the prices.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy