Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend slo mo and other instructional vids/YT?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Don't know what's good or bad out of the many You Tube offerings (bar what I see on this forum), and when I do watch then they all seem very short and fast and filmed from the front. My poor befuddled brain is therefore struggling to work out what it's meant to be doing whilst also trying to see itself behing the person demonstrating the ski-ing (i.e. placing itself in their boots/body).
So, are there any good tips and demonstrations, etc, out there which are either slowed down enough so that you can work out exactly what they're meant to be demonstrating, wrong or right (I don't find the voice-overs helpful at all in 99% of cases), and/or filmed from the rear or at least side.
Cheers. Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Grizzler, this may (or may not!) be helpful for you, but we have a series of videos on our "What's My Level?" page of our website which shows a range of real skiers at various stages of skill development. There is a short written description of the important aspects of their fundamental skiing skills, plus some comments during the video. It might help you see what is important at each stage of development, although they are not "teach yourself to ski" videos (for which I think an instructor is probably best).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
@Grizzler, this may (or may not!) be helpful for you, but we have a series of videos on our "What's My Level?" page of our website which shows a range of real skiers at various stages of skill development. .... although they are not "teach yourself to ski" videos (for which I think an instructor is probably best).

Well, depending on conditions and how I'll feeling, the words and vids put me somewhere between a level 7 and a level 9, then... Confused (Mr G says that I look 10-11 when going at my best - at times, I really like him Very Happy - but I do not like the words steep or strong and haven't had great proper off-piste experience.)
I'm not looking for "teach yourself to ski" stuff: just anything that I can add to the learning arsenal.
I learn best by reading, sometimes listening, and then thinking about it/working it out: but watching is also essential and I've found a lot of the vids posted on here since I've been a member to be helpful in some aspect or other; at the least to stimulate thinking and trial (one cannot have lessons all the time - well, I can't afford to, anyway!)
My experience of instructors is that you pay your best attention, try to do what you're told and then go away and spend the next x months to years puzzling over what they were trying to convey (usually with success, but it isn't an instant learning experience for me). Here, again, seeing it demonstrated on vids is very helpful (if they actually show enough time and perspective to allow you to work out what they're trying to convey, too Laughing ).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grizzler wrote:
I'm not looking for "teach yourself to ski" stuff: just anything that I can add to the learning arsenal. I learn best by reading...
Have you seen Ron LeMaster's technical reference book Ultimate Skiing? Sounds like you might find it useful.

Grizzler wrote:
My experience of instructors is that you pay your best attention, try to do what you're told and then go away and spend the next x months to years puzzling over what they were trying to convey...
Have you ever had your skiing videoed and then used for analysis as part of the ski lesson? Often a great way to make sense of what is said, and what you feel, when on the hill.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Project Kitzsteinhorn was made by a few friends of mine and is really good, think they have a variety of angles shown as well. Check it out on vimeo.
from
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/projectkitz
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy