Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste Guide Morzine Next Week?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Off to Morzine on Saturday for the week. Looks like lots of snow the next few days but thinking that by Monday-Tuesday a guide could be a good idea to find the powder..... Can anyone recommend a guide or school that I do a day or half day off piste/touring with? Happy to do private or join a group. I've done some searching and phoned Next Generation but they have limited availability.
Thanks a lot,
Marc
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry, forgot to add that I'll be staying in Morzine so would prefer to find someone I can meet there.
Thanks
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@marcs44, any qualified instructor should be able to take you off piste. Try ESF.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or check out Nicholas Tricou from http://www.portesdusoleil-outdoor.com/. The Times once wrote an article including Nicholas in the top ten guides in the world, he's also a very good bloke!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for Nicolas, he spent the week training my kid at half term. I have his details to take a day exploring the Morzine Les Gets hidden gems when I next go out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

the Morzine Les Gets hidden gems

There are any? Hidden I mean?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would thoroughly recommend Ross MacEwan from Blue Chilli Snowsports in Chatel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great thanks for the tips, much appreciated
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We run a lot of off-piste guiding in the portes du soleil. Aaron, Amy or Ben have some spots next week to show you around http://pds-academy.co.uk/about-pds-ski-academy/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've just done a few off piste sessions in Avoriaz.

Marco from the Morzine Bureau de Guides. Marco has been guiding for the last 20 years and knows the area like the back of his hand. He'll do touring or back country.

Or try and get in a group in the Wednesday back country session run by Avoriaz Alpine Ski School.

Either way try and do the Vallee de la Manche
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@marcs44, try Simon Hale (simonhaleguiding.com) who is BMG/IFMGA. We used him for 2 days touring in PdS last week and I'd highly recommend him. He lives in the area so has good knowledge of where to take you based on the conditions. Nice guy to boot.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Other than the Vallee de la Manche and the Coulouirs du Courbore, Pt Vorlaz (Pepsi Max) see if you can find one who will take you to Entre Les Saix.
We only found 2 guides who claimed to know it well.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks again for the replies.
I contacted Nicolas Tricou - he was busy but his son Christophe took me around for 2 days and I would be happy to go with him again. We had great powder everywhere from Les Crosets to Mont Chery and lots of places in between!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Only a half wit needs a guide in Morzine...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I know it's not what you asked, but I was in Morzine a few weeks ago and the snow was a week old and the skiing was getting a bit samey, so I tried Speed Riding with Pascal from aero-bi@hotmail.fr.

They teach you on piste which is great and easy to land on and I'd highly recommend it for a giggle. Mind you I don't think I'll do a lot of it as the consequences of a wipe out are potentially too catastrophic. Skullie[/img]
ski holidays
My good friend Paddy Morris is very very knowledgeable on off piste in Morzine and PDS, He is an ISTD and also does speed riding. Highly recommended safe fun off piste guy http://www.paddymorris.co.uk.
snow conditions
@nevis1003, not really, if you don't have the hp terrain skills.
latest report
@nevis1003, thanks for the advice. It was my first time in Morzine/Avoriaz and there was lots of fresh snow - should I have just skied the Vallee de la Manche or Pointe D'Angolon by myself for the first time? That would be more of a dumb move than hiring a guide....
ski holidays
nevis1003 wrote:
Only a half wit needs a guide in Morzine...

That's probably the stupidest comment I've read on here for quite some time!
ski holidays
Bit of a thread resurrection - sorry! Thought I'd update with some info on our PDS guiding experiences over the last couple of weeks...

Firstly, Nicolas Tricou - highly, highly recommended! We've been out with quite a few guides over the years and he is one of the best. Lovely bloke, easy to be around, knows the area incredibly well, happy to go at your pace and is super encouraging. Did a day and a half with him and will definitely look him up next time we're out.

Also had 2 days booked with Simon Hale and bit of a strange experience tbh! Unfortunately my wife hurt her ankle quite badly halfway through our trip and couldn't ski any more. I spoke to Simon and cancelled one of the days, which he was great about and didn't charge any deposit etc. We agreed that I'd still go on the second day but he'd have a ring around to see if there was anyone who wanted to split the day to help keep the cost down. If not, I'd still go anyway as I was really keen to get out touring in the area and we agreed to speak the evening before and arrange the details. Evening before came and I'd not heard anything from him and couldn't get hold of him by phone or email and eventually headed to bed, not knowing if I was going out with him in the morning or not!! I woke to find I'd received an email after 10:30pm cancelling the day!

I appreciate he was very accommodating to allow us to cancel one of the days, and I'm probably not entitled to be annoyed - but I am!! Really poor communication and very late cancellation. If I'd know he was going to cancel I'd have been in touch with another guide to make sure I still got out!!
ski holidays
@Dashed, Yep a mate of mine spends a lot of time with Nicolas....he always leads the group (he's the furthest guy along the ridge in the pic on the weather thread).
I've never met him, but all positive feedback. Naturally doesn't come cheap.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy