Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

kids / lessons / off piste / transceivers / etc

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A while back we had a vigorous debate on how to handle kids skiing off piste on the equipment board
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2780870&highlight=kids+transceiver#2780870

My overall take was that until kids are mature enough to get involved in avalanche rescue it is pointless having them carry equipment. Instead you must restrict yourself to terrain/conditions that is almost inconceivable to expose them to avalanche risk (mainly this means low angle, not overhung (shoulder rather than face), etc). The counter argument is that you can never be sure, better to equip them and teach good practice, etc. A few of us cited the fact that ski instructors in France often elect to take kids off piste on low risk terrain without any equipment.

My kids (now 13 and 11) take a few private lessons each season. For the last couple of years these have mainly been off piste - instructors call, not mine or the children, I'd be happy for them to be focusing on gates (although they are a bit reluctant). They have really enjoyed it and they ski a lot of "safe" off piste with me too.

Last week I was given a bit of pause - for the first time he instructor took them on a route which I would not ski without avalanche gear. He and they had none.

When I think about it - risk 2, very little of it above 30 degrees, quite possible to avoid terrain traps, roll-overs, etc if you are careful with your line - I can't honestly say the instructor's judgement was wrong. He's been skiing there for 20 years and has a lot more local knowledge than me. Yet I'm still not comfortable - it is 1000m of descent, quite a way from pistes and lifts, there are some places you could get into trouble and you may not be seen if you do.

At the same time, my son did say that he had fun in the lessons (1000m of untracked powder without either of them falling - I should think so!) but he wasn't sure he was being taught anything that I couldn't teach him...

So I have a few dilemmas:
1. Kids ski ability is outstripping their maturity, certainly of the younger, how do I keep things exciting for them? Does it really make sense to pay an instructor to take them on terrain that I would be wary of leading them on. Just really paying for his local knowledge and confidence (or over-confidence?)
2. Do I have to rethink equipping them? Does that mean training - we've played about with transceiver Easter egg hunts but I honestly don't think they are ready for full avalanche rescue drill? Should I insist their instructor carries gear?

Overall I'm a bit frustrated that they have now skied some lines that I think would have been better saved until they had the mountain sense to go with the ski ability. I'm a bit sad if I now have to bring them back onto tamer skiing. I'm not convinced that this particular instructor has much more to give them. Contemplating pushing them into race training (which would mean changing to ESF and putting them in a largely French speaking group coaching - probably good for them but not necessarily "fun").

All thoughts welcome.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My daughter skied La Grave and Clôt de Chalance here with easiski. On both occasions I rented avi kit for her for the day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ask the kids what they want to do. Do they want to race? If not then please dont push them into it, thats the best way to put them off skiing.

If they want to ski off piste on terrain where you think kit is appropriate give them kit. Start training them how to use it. You are right that they would not deal well in a rescue situation so you need another competent adult to be back marker, this could either be you or you need to pay a second instructor to be back marker.

There are many other areas of skiing they could develop. Ask them if they want to do freestyle or moguls for example and if so seek appropriate coaching.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

My daughter skied La Grave and Clôt de Chalance here with easiski. On both occasions I rented avi kit for her for the day.

I should think so! Do they let you on the gondola without it?
That's terrain I would definitely want my kids to have more mountain sense for, whoever the instructor was.

Quote:

You are right that they would not deal well in a rescue situation so you need another competent adult to be back marker, this could either be you or you need to pay a second instructor to be back marker.

Yes - perhaps that is the answer. I could join their lessons when they are going to be skiing off piste.

Quote:

Ask them if they want to do freestyle

I think I'll wait for them to ask. I have a nasty feeling that is more dangerous than skiing off-piste.

Quote:

or moguls

They like moguls but they can do that with me
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Clôt de Chalance is lift served, La Grave, not sure they check tbh.

Charlotte did insist though which I was happy to comply with Happy I went on both trips too Happy She was 13 for La Grave and perhaps 15 or 16 for Chalance. She did an avalanche awareness course here when she was quite young and has practised with a tranceiver and probe in the DVR park here.

Chalance is quite tough (can't see the bottom on this)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
great shot!
I've never been to La Grave (my regular ski buddy's cousin died there and it's been off limits to him since).
I'm surprised avi gear isn't compulsory there. It is (for example) to get on the Punta Idran lift above Alagna which is similar in that it is all off-piste although mostly not as serious as La Grave.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I think I'll wait for them to ask. I have a nasty feeling that is more dangerous than skiing off-piste.

I think you're missing a trick there (excuse the pun); particularly if the kids have any gymnastic ability. Freestyle is very popular in the UK now, it'd be a good way for them to keep their skiing up during the off season as you can do it on dryslope and in the fridges. There are loads of camps and courses run aimed squarely at that age group. With sensible progression, it doesn't have to be dangerous.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You'll can access La Grave from here, towed over by a piste basher from 3600m. They check you have a pass but not gear.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

With sensible progression, it doesn't have to be dangerous

would have thought however sensible you are it has an elevated risk of head and spine injuries vs most sports
I wouldn't stop them but I'm not inclined to advocate it. But I wouldn't be mad keen on my son playing rugby seriously either (but wouldn't stop him of course)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

You'll can access La Grave from here, towed over by a piste basher from 3600m. They check you have a pass but not gear.

to be fair they don't check on Punta Indran just state that it is compulsory
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jedster, we've been checked for rucksacks, but not content rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jedster wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

or moguls

They like moguls but they can do that with me

It will come! We are off to Trysil this time as Talbyem didn't want to risk her recently mended wrist on the familiar slopes of L2A and Toastertalbot didn't want lessons, as she though they wouldn't be up to the week of off piste skiing that was Easiski's hot tots course last time we went. Well that was till she spotted the ski school did an intro to park course which she is now booked on to and has decided that while she really wants to do the kids off piste half day she will wait and see how exhausted the park skiing leaves her!.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy