Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets & hand luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if this has been asked before but how do you take your helmet with you if you are only traveling with hand luggage? Easy jet for what's it's worth.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's been asked a few times wink

I always clip mine to my backpack - it NEVER goes in the hold.

Never had a problem, or even been asked about it, in many many flights (including some with Easyjet).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Goes in my hand luggage backpack, never been even asked about it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't apologise, i'm about to try the same thing on EJ and was think the same thing. there's no weight limit on hand luggage with EJ just size 55 x 45 x 25. but my lid won't fit in my bag. it's full of boots etc!
i've seen plenty of people walking trough departure lounges with hand luggage with the lid trapped to the outside. i guess you could in theory, just wear it!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
as said before, wear it....if anyone asks you why...just say you have a funny feeling about the flight !!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I watched the person in front of me in the queue on BA to Venice get asked about hand luggage size and he calmly removed the helmet from the bag, dropped in in the bins, now easy, and then put the helmet back in the bag. No way it would fit with the helmet in, but didnt seem to be any issue at check-in. Don't know about EJ, but next time I fly if it comes to it the helmet will be on my head.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My son flew with Easyjet last summer, Gatwick to Geneva, and took a full face helmet, just carried it, and didn't put it in his hand luggage, and didn't have any problems.

He in to downhill mountain biking!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gazzaredcruiser,
Quote:

my lid won't fit in my bag. it's full of boots

I always used to have that problem until, on Iski's recommendation, I bought one of these. Who needs a fancy and expensive boot bag?! This is the best luggage purchase I've made in years. It folds flat when not in use and weighs but a trifle. And it easily holds both boots and helmet, as well as numerous other bits and pieces.
http://tinyurl.com/jk9m5se
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rolling eyes rolling eyes just read my post, i'm not really that illiterate! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
yorkshirelad wrote:
as said before, wear it....if anyone asks you why...just say you have a funny feeling about the flight !!

Brilliant. Just make sure you say it loudly while in the queue.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hurtle, Thanks for that link. I am looking to buy boots in Morzine this year and was wondering about bringing them back. That may do the job as I can put the bag in my hold luggage on way out and fill it on return.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I clip mine to the outside of my rucksack, never been ask to remove it or fit it into my luggage (all flights on EJ)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have always put my ski helmet in my hold luggage. From the posts on here I am guessing that's stupid as it may get damaged in transit Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mike-H, not taking any hold luggage, just carry on. I'm hoping to be in my hire car and halfway to resort by the time the rest of the flight has found their bags on the carousel. Earlier this month in Grenoble it was a fecking nightmare waiting for the bags and then skis, the ski carousel broken down and it took fecking ages to get all the gear and then a three hour coach transfer to La Plagne. Not this time, oh no. I'm only skiing for three days so carry on only and hire skis in resort and hiring car for transfer. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ive had mine in my ruck sack, fastened to the back of it and in my suitcase. Never a problem, although we did get warned once by inghams rep in Bergamot airport that they we stopping people taking them in hand luggage, but i never got stopped..
I manage each year with ski boots in main luggage, for sunday ive put boots and helmet in suit case, 23 kilo limit and im currently at 22.5 .. Sorted, and every trip theres stuff i dont get to wear...
snow conditions
that's stupid as it may get damaged in transit

have you ever watched the baggage handlers!! they usually play "who can throw the suitcase the furthest"
ski holidays
I pack helmet and boots in my hold bag every time....helmet surrounded by squashy stuff, and ABS rucksack in there as well.....last time I fastened a brand new POC helmet on the outside of my rucksack and put it in the overhead locker some tool got on and slammed his bag into the locker and dented my new POC helmet. Solution - buy Sweet Protection carbon and put it in your hold bag. 23kgs plenty for all that with rucksack for electrical stuff and laptop.
ski holidays
gazzaredcruiser wrote:
that's stupid as it may get damaged in transit

have you ever watched the baggage handlers!! they usually play "who can throw the suitcase the furthest"

Just surround it with clothes and stuff and it'll be fine. Done it before and not had a problem...I've carried back mugs and booze in my hold luggage with no bother before.
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude, +1....never had problem either. You just pack it in amongst stuff.
latest report
guys, we're missing the point. the OP is going without hold baggage, so everything in hand luggage inc boots and lid!
snow conditions
Exactly.. Nestles in between the boots .. Then Sandwiched between clothes etc.. Never had a problem, neither has wife, and i like travelling light, so no hand luggage suits me,
snow report
going to barcelona with ryanair on friday (then onto Granvalira) , have a feeling if anyone is going to cause a fuss for having a lid dangling off my carry on, it'll be them.

so its going inside my carry on, but its also being completely stuffed with other stuff, so it isnt just empty space

suppose i could just leave it at home, if only there was a thread about helmets i could discuss this in..............
snow report
@gazzaredcruiser, Sorry. It may have been me that took it in a different direction regarding putting my ski helmet in my case.
latest report
I flew easyjet to Geneva a couple of weeks ago, and saw a couple of people on the flight with helmets - one guy occasionally put his on his head (to stop it swinging about in crowds I think) and the rest of the time they were clipped to rucksacks. They didn't seem to have any problems.

I must admit it hadn't occurred to me I could do that, so didn't bring my helmet (I was travelling hand luggage only, boots took up most of the room) and skied without one for a day for the first time in years, much to the astonishment of my friends (all in helmets). It felt very weird without it.
snow report
While I have always travelled with hold luggage for ski trips, I have still always put my helmet in hand luggage, and have never had any issue doing so.

And yes, i have put booze and other breakables in hold luggage, but if one of those get broken, you can tell, whereas if a ski helmet gets bashed, you usually can't tell.
latest report
Sailed straight through Manchester and Grenoble airports with my helmet in my rucksack last week ! no questions
ski holidays
What is this "hel-met" you all speak of?

Hat

Coat Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Travelled Easyjet Edinburgh Geneva about a month ago with helmet in backpack and no problems.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is all very reassuring but...........my lid won't fit in my fooking bag and so will HAVE to be strapped on the outside of said carry on bag. going with EJ so no weight limit on carry on bag, just size limit of 550mm x 450mm x 250mm. Also NOT taking hold luggage.

Will EJ pull me off.......er sorry! will EJ prevent my boarding the aircraft with my lid strapped to the out side of my carry on bag...........not sure if I've mentioned it..but..my lid won't fit in my bag and I'm not taking any hold baggage.

rolling eyes
latest report
gazzaredcruiser wrote:
Will EJ pull me off.......er sorry! will EJ prevent my boarding the aircraft with my lid strapped to the out side of my carry on bag...........not sure if I've mentioned it..but..my lid won't fit in my bag and I'm not taking any hold baggage.

If only someone had answered this question before Wink

clarky999 wrote:
I always clip mine to my backpack - it NEVER goes in the hold.
Never had a problem, or even been asked about it, in many many flights (including some with Easyjet).

Jja wrote:
My son flew with Easyjet last summer, Gatwick to Geneva, and took a full face helmet, just carried it, and didn't put it in his hand luggage, and didn't have any problems.

RichClark wrote:
I clip mine to the outside of my rucksack, never been ask to remove it or fit it into my luggage (all flights on EJ)

fixx wrote:
I flew easyjet to Geneva a couple of weeks ago, and saw a couple of people on the flight with helmets - one guy occasionally put his on his head (to stop it swinging about in crowds I think) and the rest of the time they were clipped to rucksacks. They didn't seem to have any problems.
latest report
Same dilemma, taking skis & 10kg cabin bag, thoughts are I shall just clip to bag...a few years ago we got stopped at check-in & the staff were being typically more arsey than usual, insisted they had to be packed Mad

Great as we had 3 helmets to stow & they were adamant we couldn't just wear them, that's customer service at it's best!
ski holidays
Passed twice thro Geneva this year with Easy jet... Our helmets were in our hold luggage but seen people with helmet loose on head & strapped to hand luggage - no probs...
snow report
http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/baggage

"What is my cabin baggage allowance?
All passengers
ONE cabin bag
Maximum size of 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels."

If your hand luggage and helmet hanging off it fits within the hand luggage gauge I can't see any good reason for them to pull you up. But if you've got anything hanging off your bag and it and your bag can't fit in the gauge together then.....well it's your own fault if you have to pay extra.
snow report
. . just bought a Dakine DLX Cargo Pack 55l as hand luggage (new, in fetching black £45 ebay - not many left) to free up space for my disco attire/sex toys collection in the main hold luggage . . .slightly worried as the bag looks massive compared to my normal carry on rucksack however its stats are just on the borderline of most hand luggage regs . . .'legally' its too deep at 30cm but has compression straps to reduce the depth . . .separate dedicated pockets for helmet & boots . . will be testing its gate friendlyness in a few weeks Very Happy
latest report
Just get a bag like mine for £12.99 and I guarantee all your problems will be solved, without the need for hanging helmets. I travel with a set of ski clothes either on me, or in the bag with my boots and helmet. Then if my hold baggage ie ski bag with the skis and the remainder of my stuff, is lost in transit, I can still ski on day one - all I have to do is hire some skis. Works for me anyway. The great thing about that little bag is that there is absolutely no wasted space in it, so you can pack a massive amount into it.
latest report
...but, admittedly, it probably doesn't look as cool as a £45 Dakine how's-yer-auntie... Toofy Grin
snow report
@Hurtle, saw that bag - but pride messed with me I'm afraid . . . Toofy Grin

Dakine DLX normally £70+ so a good deal if you're a gear head . . .
snow report
@Belch, fair enough! Laughing
snow report
michaelbury17 wrote:
Great as we had 3 helmets to stow & they were adamant we couldn't just wear them, that's customer service at it's best!

Didn't realise that airlines ran a dress code Wink I'd have thought that an arsey tweet mentioning the airline would get that sorted...or at the very least just pointing out anyone wearing a hat and insisting that, under the same logic, they couldn't wear it.
ski holidays
My helmet always goes in the bottom of my rucksack, upside down so the other stuff just fits into it. Takes up very little room that way.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy