Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you share ski passes?

Poster: A snowHead
Going skiing with babies and family for first time. Is it possible for two adults to share a ski pass so one can stay with the babies?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Morrisvillemant, sadly no.

Can you by daily passes?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Morrisvillemant, in theory no, in practice it depends. If the pass includes a photo then it isn't possible, which passes have photos on varies from resort to resort, usually depending on the number of days purchased.
As @NickyJ, says daily passes are an option, they can work out slightly more but often if a day is taken off due to weather, injury, or just tiredness it makes no difference.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Morrisvillemant, some resorts ok with it. Others not. Where are you going?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some resorts are reported to do a "parents sharing" pass, but I've not come across it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Even if the pass doesn't have a photo it's now the case that many resorts now have cameras and screens for staff at bottom lift stations to look for someone different using the pass from the previous / first user.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Morrisvillemant, depends on the conditions, which vary between resorts. I'd ask for advice at the lift office.
Welcome to Snowheads! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mtsuit, indeed, which makes it a bad idea to try and 'swing' it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mtsuit, really? THat's a level of sophistication I haven't seen. How can they tell if on day 1 you have goggles and a mask on.

I don't think that technology actually exists in an adequately sophisticated way to make it worth it.

Yes, cameras so the poor lifties don't need to leave the comforts of their hut. Yes images to compare, but only if they took one when you bought the pass or supplied a photo.

My recollection is that Chamonix offers non-consecutive passes which are not limited to a single person.

If there's no photo, they don't care that much so I wouldn't worry.

Season passes or photo limited passes, I would worry.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Morrisvillemant, welcome to SH. Here in Ski Amade you can buy a parent pass if your child is under 3, so one parent can ski at a time whilst the is parenting. This is the only pass that can be shared. Check the T&c of the ski pass where you are going. And whilst it seems possible to 'get away with it' is also possible to get caught as there are cameras in the turnstiles, not all, but usually the valley lifts and I know skiers have been stopped. Hope that helps. Ange.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had friends do it, a couple of years back in resorts such as serre chevalier and la tania. It's obviously not allowed and you run the risk of confiscation of the pass.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@mtsuit, really? THat's a level of sophistication I haven't seen. How can they tell if on day 1 you have goggles and a mask on.

I don't think that technology actually exists in an adequately sophisticated way to make it worth it.

Yes, cameras so the poor lifties don't need to leave the comforts of their hut. Yes images to compare, but only if they took one when you bought the pass or supplied a photo.

The technology is widespread here in Austria, e.g. in Fieberbrunn and the wider Ski Circus. You also see lifties using iPads to check queues (out of their huts Laughing). Whether they can recognise someone hidden behind a mask, I cannot say.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@espri, I think (!) you are conflating the

- well known and widespread technology of displaying the lift pass photo when a pass goes through the barrier and comparing it to a picture of the person going through the gate taken as they go through the gate with

- a novel tech whereby an automatic photo is taken the first time a pass is used and then used as benchmark. Which would be rather useless on days when the weather is crap when the pass is first used. And easy to dodge. And which I have never seen in action. And easy to game at least for a single switch.

Checking the Skidata website (biggest (only?) supplier of ski turnstiles as far as I can see) and while they mention photo compare, they certainly don't mention any "first use" system.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hubby bought a ski pass for our son a couple of years ago at the Serre Che pass office. No photo required, and they didn't tell hum they had taken a photo, but when son used it we were stopped as the photo didn't match. They changed the photo on the system and no more problems. I've been asked to remove my helmet and goggles at the bottom lift station in the past as my hair looked darker on the photo than it did in reality.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hubby bought a ski pass for our son a couple of years ago at the Serre Che pass office. No photo required, and they didn't tell hum they had taken a photo, but when son used it we were stopped as the photo didn't match. They changed the photo on the system and no more problems. I've been asked to remove my helmet and goggles at the bottom lift station in the past as my hair looked darker on the photo than it did in reality.
ski holidays
The Ski Amade parents pass sounds a very good idea, which other resorts could borrow. I imagine that it might cost a little more than one adult pass.

Grandparents are the preferred answer in my family and in many French families, judging by the happy scenes I often see of littlies having fun with folk looking too old to be parents.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, my season pass still uses the photo originally given in 10 years ago.
ski holidays
@under a new name, My passport photo is now 8 years old - and they still let me into the country.
snow report
Here is a link, it's called Young Family Pass, and is the same price. Also, but separately, from mid March kids get a free pass with a week adult pass. This is for Ski Amade not far from Salzburg airport. Happy skiing. Ange. http://www.skiamade.com/en/winter/ski-pass/offers
snow conditions
@under a new name, so does mine.
snow report
Thanks for all the replies. We're heading to veysonnaz and we will check to see if they offer a parent pass.
snow report
The French grandparents are coming but they both still ski hard!
latest report
Take the English ones next time @Morrisvillemant, problem solved
snow conditions
Judging from the number of times I have found the wrong persons lift pass dumped on the table by members of our party at the end of a days skiing (including this year at Ste Foy) many areas don`t check non-photo passes!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Checking the Skidata website (biggest (only?) supplier of ski turnstiles as far as I can see) and while they mention photo compare, they certainly don't mention any "first use" system.

My reading of the Skidata site is that photo comparison is exactly this sort of system:
"Individual pictures will be taken at different times at various access points.
All pictures taken on the current day will be available for matching.
For each day, the first and last picture taken of individual ticket holders will be stored for future reference."
I hadn't assumed that any automatic face recognition software was involved but rather that a human operator made the comparison. But reading the Skidata description, now I'm not so sure. But no matter how it is done, I assume this is so that tickets without a photo can be checked. Why would ski areas pay for cameras in the gates if they didn't have some use?
latest report
@espri, my understanding is that they allow remote viewing and also some sort of evidence.

You could be right but still seems like very dodgy concept to me and I'm not aware of it anywhere in Chamonix/ Grand Massif / Portes du Soleil or Monterosa.
snow conditions
But the critical point is, I think,

"Photo comparison is an application for matching ID photos to prevent ticket fraud"

ID photos.

I'm still deeply skeptical that it uses the first photo of use as the ID baseline.

Sounds also as though product management have too much time on their hands. I'd be astonished if revenues lost to switching passes were that great in the grand scheme of things.
latest report
@espri, ok. I will have to munch my bonnet. You are quite right. The "reference" image can indeed be the first time through the gate. Now this document doesn't refer to the skiing systems http://www.skidata.com/fileadmin/user_upload/corporate/downloads/products/faa/handshake-logic/HandshakeLogic-PhotoCompareBasic-1-0-en.pdf but I don't see why it can't.

Still, I haven't seen it in widespread use round here, but then, I wouldn't be paying that sort of attention. Imstill thinks it's way to hard to manage in a snowsports setting.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
People have been caught - there is a post on here somewhere from a couple of years ago about someone getting caught in Bad Gastein (in Ski Amade) - do a search and have a read. I also know of someone getting caught in Dachstein West - it is possible and it does happen. Ange.
ski holidays
@flangesax, sure, people do get caught. Reasonably frequently, especially as it's often season passes that get "lent" as they get flagged for special attention (for obvious reasons).

But taking Chamonix for example, I doubt that the number caught bs the ~1.4mio skier days would't even feature as a rounding error.
snow report
Never noticed this in Andorra Grandvalira. No photo on the pass, pass stays in your pocket and you just brush past to open the turnstile.
ski holidays
Photo doesn't need to be on the pass. Most passes these days have a unique RFID chip embedded in them. Turnstile reads the RFID, pings up a picture of previous people using this pass. Lifty looks at the pictures ... and guess the rest.
ski holidays
@Orange200, yes, operated by Skidata and the cameras are in the turnstiles, the valley ones. Ange
snow conditions
@under a new name, this is the Skidata page I looked at, from their 'Mountain destinations' section.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

Sounds also as though product management have too much time on their hands. I'd be astonished if revenues lost to switching passes were that great in the grand scheme of things.

Well consider the number of posts we get on here asking about sharing passes and those dumb enough to try selling their season passes. I assume that is rather the tip of the iceberg. Plus remember that the systems aren't necessarily for Yurp. When day passes in the US go for up to $175 there is every incentive to try to share passes particularly when typical scans are only at the bottom of the mountain. ( though Vail who charge that much do seem to freely transfer credit between individuals when asked).
snow report
I was "doing some research" on the Go Montgenevre site, and they actively promote the ability to swap passes between clients. I'm sure they wouldn't advertise it if it were going to be a problem.
latest report
Friends we were with accidentally swapped passes one morning. She was pulled out of the lift queue at Schladming. She had to phone hubby who skied down to swap cards.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 14-02-16 18:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Who's "Hung By"?

Some friendly ski pass adventurer who's unrecognisable?
snow conditions
Quote:

Friends we were with accidentally swapped passes one morning

happened to people we were skiing with, too. Fortunately hubby was puffing along, not too far behind.... wink
latest report
By using someone else's ski pass you will invalidate your ski insurance
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy