Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fitting a tech toe to a Dalbello Lupo SP

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got some Dalbello Lupo SP ID's that I've finally sorted out to fit well. Since buying them the Marker Kingpin has been released which seems like a great tour/ski compromise but requires tech toe inserts. I know CAST fit tech toe inserts to standard boots over in the states (http://casttouring.com/products/ski-boot-conversion). Does anyone know if there is an equivalent over here in Europe? The alternative would be to buy the new Lupo Ti but it seems like a lot to spend given that my current Lupos only have 5 weeks on them.

Any thoughts/help appreciated...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@the sheep, I believe Steve (occasionally posts as SmallZooKeeper on here) can do that at his shop Sole Boot Lab in Chamonix. Might be wrong, but probably worth getting in touch.

Or wait 'til next season and buy the new Technica Cochise with drastically more anatomical and better fitting last!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The CAST type toe insert conversion to alpine boots is not strong enough to be used to ski with - it was only ever designed to be used with the tech toe when skinning up prior to swapping to the alpine toe for the down.

Therefore it's new boots time!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about machining a solid rod, drilling right through the sole and bonding it in?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Didn't Idris do this?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@spyderjon, good point!

If anyone is considering new 'freeride touring' boots for next season, I tried the new Cochise 130 in the same size as my current Pro Lights at ISPO, and the fit is a totally new league. WAY closer fitting and more anatomical than any other boot I've ever tried out the box.

EDIT: Sorry, I already said that above Embarassed rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mosha Marc, it really isn't worth mucking about with inserts... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63998

It's either new boots or go with non-tech bindings. Personally, I like the look of tech bindings but have no problems skiing on my Fritchi Freerides (I used to have trouble with pre-releasing them until I realized you have to be fastidious with cleaning snow/ice from your boots). The only issue I have with the Fritchis is the stack height gets in the way on old chair lifts with rubbish foot bars. If I was buying all new kit I'd go tech for touring (almost certainly Kingpins), but really the non-tech system works fine.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999, yes. Lange fit my feet / ankles really well so I'm *considering* the Lange XT 130 Freetour... They'll be fine in my Freerides but I guess not so much in my regular alpine bindings (STH12) which is a PITA.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sah, I think the Lange works in tech and alpine bindings without swapping soles... Can't remember now, but the Cochise definitely does!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gorilla wrote:
Didn't Idris do this?

Yes I built the original prototypes with Plake 'cause Dalbello said it could not be done!

Too much like hard work considering what you can buy today.

Just get a pair of FT10s or FT12 's (if you can justify din 9 or above) only change your boots if there is something wrong with them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clarky999, hope that's the case, that would be a great solution. I'm going to see a well known boot fitter next week so will ask about this Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
@sah, I think the Lange works in tech and alpine bindings without swapping soles... Can't remember now, but the Cochise definitely does!

yup that is correct it does

it is available in 97mm last in 130 flex sizes 24.5-29.5, 130 flex and 120 flex in 100mm last in the same sizes and there is kind of a womens offering 110 flex 97mm last but only in sizes 24.5-27.5 ( i beleive they ran out of cash to make the 22.5 and more importantly and surprisingly the 23.5!!)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CAST conversions are for uphill only, the system is not safe to use tech as a ski system.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy