Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First trip for girlfriend and little boy

Poster: A snowHead
Hi can anyone recommend a trip for next year

I've skied solidly for 3 years. This however will be there first time. I'm looking for somewhere which has a good ski school for kids and potentially entertainment for the other half if she doesn't like it.

Just came back from st Anton and even though the kids school was good the blues looked hard for her.

Probably go 1st week of Feb

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DanFuller, Hi, how old will the child be next year? How do you prefer to travel? Do you prefer food provided or S/C? If flying, which UK airports?

I have one good hotel H/B option in mind which, from personal experience, might suit you well, usually at a good price.

However there are benefits in leaving booking late too. Just depends on your circumstances, flexibility and whether late booking fits with your mindset comfort zone.

Advice freely available from many well I informed snowHeads I'm sure.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
...Oh and what sort of things would pass as ' entertainment' if the skiing didn't work out for everyone?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quality of ski instruction for GF is probably the most important criterion. Followed by good progression from the nursery slopes to gentle, uncrowded, greens and blues.

Could she do some lessons in a fridge?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
He will 6. We will travel by plane and they will rent I have my own gear. Food provided either in chalet or nearby restaurants would be better.
We would fly from London. I would prefer to book in the new month, as I'm paid quarterly bonuses so would use that.
In terms of entertainment culture or shops, spas or even child friendly activities.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Very true. Fridges aren't that close. Maybe dry slopes for a while then fridges nearer the time.

If easy greens blues etc then that's st anton out 😟
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Esprit are a good operator for families with young children.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

If easy greens blues etc then that's st anton out

never been, but I get the impression it's not ideal for beginners. A friend, intermediate snowboarder, went with her (new) BF who was a complete beginner. Her dad was paying for the trip, and he picked the location. The BF (now husband) is a tall, strong, brave, Afrikaner with a high pain threshold. He did struggle a bit. She broke her back, as it happens, but lots of resorts can have some rocky bits with thin snow cover on piste. Evil or Very Mad And she made a good recovery.

There are vast numbers of better resorts, all over the place.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for Esprit with a child that age. Well organised, decent choice of resorts, great fun for child, London flights, early booking discounts, takes a lot of stress away from adults. Comparatively reasonable prices, though not cheap. Other Tour Operators are of course available.

Still think late booking would give better control over destination, conditions and possibly better price. You could always put your quarterly bonus in a bank for a year...but obviously it's your choice. Preferring London flights pretty much guarantees a good choice of late deals.

Agree St Anton not good for beginners. I don't think Val D'Isere or Chamonix is either. Of the places Esprit feature, I think Alpe D'Huez, Belle Plagne, La Rosiere, Les Arcs, Les Gets, and Peisey Les Arcs would all suit your skiing needs. The last 3 of those probably best for non-skiing activities, though not outstanding.

Many Austrian resorts would also be ideal if snow conditions good. Lower altitudes in many Austrian areas make that more risky, booking a year ahead, although I think usually OK by early February. I always found skiing instruction in Austria very good. Generally I think the mountain towns are more attractive than France and they have some great public swimming/leisure/spa facilities.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok I'll have a look at esprit then

When people say late deals what sort of saving are we looking at?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alpe d'Huez has fantastic long greens into resort for the beginners. very little chance she won't like being in the mountains. Hope she loves it for your sake.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The 6 year old is an ideal age to start skiing. If he enjoys it a lot, that will help enthuse his mother, too. If she's not very keen (and not very sporty) I'd be wary about starting on a dry slope. They are brilliant for training, and for keen types, but........
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DanFuller, difficult to be precise about savings. Depends what comparison made. Comparing with full brochure price not realistic or informative anyway. Unless stuck with peak weeks, like mid Feb or Easter, only those with more money than sense pay full price IMO.

Not unusual to get Esprit deal for late Jan/early Feb @ £450-£600 pp, incl flts, transfers, decent chalets, chalet board and very child-friendly staff. That's sharing a triple room. Price depends on demand for area chosen & hotel quality, eg La Rosiere & Alpe D'Huez cheaper. Meribel, Courchevel and Belle Plagne more expensive. Extra costs for equipment obviously, instruction & any childcare or evening activities you choose.

BTW I have no connection with the company. Just a client who rated them highly. Mark Warner, Ski Famille & others also very good. Suggest do a comparison of value. Crystal, Inghams, Nielson also do some child friendly deals. We've had 5 great family hols at a hotel in Les Arcs, which has a kids club after morning lessons finished. Late booked again.

Just as important IMO, booking no more than a week before departure lets you assess snow conditions and forecast. Then you can eliminate anywhere that looks hopeless. I booked late with Esprit over 10 times and always very satisfied with deal. Also booked very early, a year ahead,3 or 4 times. Worked out fine but paid more and risked the conditions.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, +1 for caution about dry slopes. Definitely worth paying extra for indoor snow centre, if not too far away, IMO.
If dry slopes used, suggest extra padding around extremities. Also wear cheap mitts, with whole hand stuffed into the wide section designed for fingers. That is, don't use the separate thumb section. Too many thumbs broken or badly sprained on dry slopes.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DanFuller wrote:
Ok I'll have a look at esprit then

When people say late deals what sort of saving are we looking at?

Very much depends on which week. I am sure I saw some discounts even for half term for 2 adults + 1 child (none for 2+2).
latest report
If you prefer Austria, I can recommend places like Saalbach, Ski Amadé, Wildschonau, Zillertal, Ski Welt, etc, etc! Loads of places with lots of gentle progression, but the free ski pass offers for all children under 15/18 usually begin after the Fasching and peak period weeks are over. First week of February next year is pre-Fasching, so no free general children's passes. BUT the free pass for little children often goes by the year of birth not the actual birthday, so the child may qualify for one of those. In most areas under six year olds get a pass when the adults buy a full pass for themselves
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy