Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Galtur - great for begginers with just one blue run??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK so SWMBO says we are going skiing first week of Easter with 5year old boy. SWMBO is a proper scaredy cat skier. I've had her down a red once and only because there was no choice. She very nearly walked back up from half way down and got the chair back down.

We've skied the Dolomites twice but never left the individual village and both stayed almost exclusively on Blues. I'm more confident than her but would confess to spending more hours exercising the fingers on the computer keyboard than the knees...! So a day of Selarondan Reds would finish me off! Last year we went to Austria to Emlau and it was OK. But even some of the blues there were taxing SWMBO. We didn't take any lessons out there last year which may have been a mistake. She did a few hours on a dry slope and was apparently doing very well - I'm not sure why when she gets near the white stuff she gets flappy! When she flaps she reverts to Snow Plough mode.

Anyway - she's now suggested we head to Galtur as it sells its self well as being a family resort. Apres Ski is not our thing. The wee man started skiing last year. His biggest issue was strength in his legs but he was doing some linked turns - just about - when he wanted to - not necessarily when the instructor wanted him to!

So then I did my standard procedure of checking the Piste Map. Scratched my head and re-read the marketing blurb... What am I missing? There seems to be a single long Blue run. Everything else is Red or the odd Black. So can anyone who's been there tell me whats going on? It seems to be quite ski park (not sure we are up for that) but also says lots about being beginner and family orientated? Have they reallocated their colours and should Blue be Green, Red by Blue and Black be Red?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@polc1410, I think a lot of the reason why it sells itself as being family orientated is that it is compact and difficult to get lost in, an advantage for Easter is that it is fairly high and north facing and holds its snow well. The nursery area is also excellent.
I have skied there a few times down the years and was slightly surprised when you said it has only one blue as it is something I had not noticed. I think some of the reds are fairly gentle certainly the reds to the kopseelift tows from memory. Having said that I think some of the others are not particularly gentle.
It is a very pleasant resort, snow sure and attractive but if you want extensive blue runs it maybe is not the best.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Though I much prefer any resort in Austria over a French one for many different reasons, have a quick look at the Alpe D'huez piste map as that has a very large amount of green and blue runs all grouped together and served by a lot of lifts. What they are like especially at Easter though I don't know as when I was went there I was a red and black run man.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You could look at Les Saisies which is ideal for families and nervous skiers. At 1650 so not ideal for Easter in some ways but it's early this year, LS has an excellent snow record and at present has masses of snow. Private lessons are not expensive and it sounds as though your wife would benefit from them. I could recommend an instructor if you're interested.

And there's time before Easter to get your leg muscles in shape.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@polc1410, you have a PM
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@polc1410, further down the valley is Kappl which is great for families. Option to go down by gondola to village if your boy or other half doesn't have the legs to ski all the way down.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
At Easter I would rather ski Galtur than Kappl as a near beginner, due to its aspect.
I think Kappl is an excellent family area but it faces pretty much due south and would be quite prone to slush and ice.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alp de Huez map certainly has the Blue Runs we'd be after. Like you I'm not a fan of France. And probably less of a fan of France at Easter!

Only very briefly looks but a Crystal Package looks like its £100 per head more, and passes would be EUR300 more as the wee man is free in most of Italy and Asutra (he's 5). £600 extra would pay for quite a lot of private lesson which is probably whats needed to get confidence up and use the local knowledge of the runs to pick the routes as skills increase!

While I posted this looking to see if I was missing something about Galtur, I am also happy to be advised of other good options. We had been thinking Andora, Italy or Austria. We have many happy memories of fantastic food in Italy!

Would be flying from Newcastle or an airport in the North of England or Southern Scotland, on the Friday, Saturday or Sunday of Easter...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

probably less of a fan of France at Easter!

why? Easter is low season in France - many French people give up skiing after the school holidays end in early March. And there are plenty of high-altitude options. Season end dates are often well into April even in medium-altitude resorts.

France is infinitely more attractive a destination at Easter than it is right now.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want a confidence building resort with blue runs la plagne in France has a lot of slopes that might build confidence. I would guess you might get a deal if you leave it to mid March to book.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you want a confidence building resort with blue runs la plagne in France has a lot of slopes that might build confidence. I would guess you might get a deal if you leave it to mid March to book.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Going to Galtur Easter myself this year bringing two beginners.
Been there four times now, two of our daughters learned to ski there at the age of 5-6.

We choose to stay and ski in Galtur but we buy the bit more expensive Silvretta ski pass that gives access to Ischgl, Samnaun, Galtür, Kappl and See, where I believe Ischgl have the most to offer for both beginners and more advanced skiers.

Galtur is a very nice place with a fantastic beautiful nature, not crowded and at the same time you have Ischgl nearby, a huge resort with all the modern facilities.
Don't worry too much about the red runs probably should have been blue.

My second choice this year was Livigno. Livigno has some very long good blue runs and have the right altitude for perfect conditions late march.

See you (maybe) in Galtur in five weeks Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy