Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Grippy" short turns

Poster: A snowHead
This is the BASI L2 pass criteria:

Perform grippy, (from the fall line), round, symmetrical, short turns, in various corridors on a
blue or easy red piste.
Show the ability to maintain a constant speed.
Use effective posture and balance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
is that not what the IASI L2 video showed Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skimottaret, I'm not so sure TBH, there are some posture things in there and some skiddiness IMHO.

There were folk skiing like the IASI L2 on my resit who failed their shorts. However a single video shot doesn't tell the whole story so not really fair to judge.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wouldn't it be good if BASI published video of actual candidates as well, then we could make some comparisons. But from what I see and hear the levels are intended to be about the same. I hear that BASI have redone the Central Theme demos but the current BASI short "level" videos are just awful..

fyi IASI is less modelling itself on BASI performance criteria and are looking more at the Aussies, Canadians, Swiss, Austrians etc.. for inspiration going forward.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for the IASI video's showing successful candidates, helpful for those trying to gauge whats required.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
my L2 candidate video is a page back if that helps anyone, + another video showing my progression to that level.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jesus, I'm glad I just ski and not think too hard about these things! FWIW it doesn't seem that difficult to comprehend. Grip "from" the fall line surely means grip starting "at" the fall line and continuing through the rest of the turn. Grip "before" and grip "after" the fall line are obvious too. I think rob@rar said it all above.

If the instructor is insisting that "grip from the fall line" is the same as "grip after the fall line" then he probably doesn't understand the difference between "from" and "after". "From the fall line" is a very clear reference point. You are either gripping from the fall line or you're not. "After the fall line" is less defined unless you state how far after the fall line you are talking about. Is it okay to grip anywhere after the fall line or within a specific zone? The two definitions converge only when you start gripping a nanosecond or two after the fall line.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
looks pretty similar to me... One thing that creeps in at BASI is the current flavour of the year and the trainers talk a lot about whatever was topical at the trainers conference and or Interski. When I started the BASI way was a very wide cowboy stance and you still see Trainers from that era who ski that way. Then it was Canadian crouch, then big inclination on GS turns, then cross through was all the rage, now it is all about cross under level head and low hip position... Although BASI always talk about outcomes there is a big emphasis on inputs...

Excellent. These changing trends (and yes I'm old enough to have lived through many of them) always make me a bit wary of anyone who says you must ski exactly like this and anything slightly different is wrong.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@uktrailmonster, in total agreement with your last sentence. Laughing at the skimottaret quoted sentence - so true...'the current flavour of the year' , but what's the opposite, never change anything - ever!

Evolution must happen, it's pace and purpose must be balanced and not rushed into so not to lead down 'dead ends' or change for change sake, it mustn't be like seasonal fashion, selling the latest 'must have desire' because the previous seasons stuff everyone's got.

What i see in some 'students' that struggle getting the latest 'style', is sadness and i know it can be gut wrenching for them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I hate to say it, but I can usually detect a UK trained (recreational I must say tho') skier based on "style".

That said, I can differentiate between CH FR IT as well... snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Are you training to be an instructor? If you are then you'll have to ski the BASI way if doing their course as shown in the video.
If not, then does any of the above matter? As others intimated they have experimented and found their own way.
Seems to me from the BASI video the grip after the fall line is developed from the momentum gained from engaging the edges, then pushing hard on the edges once you hit the fall line (almost like a hockey stop), it's effective for shaving off speed.
It's not how I was taught, the bobbing up and down movement is not efficient. If you look at the racer it's the change in angulation of the legs and the movement of hip position that changes the the direction.of the ski, not unweighting it by moving up and down.
For me I imagine I'm in a room with a low ceiling so I cant bob up and down and focus on getting leg angulation with hip alignment.
If you really want to know how to it properly then JP Beaulieu is a legend or book into one of the race camps anywhere in the Alps (I can recommend Hintertux or Kitzsteinhorn) and learn to do it properly. Or a clinic at Hemel Blush Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
I hate to say it, but I can usually detect a UK trained (recreational I must say tho') skier based on "style".

That said, I can differentiate between CH FR IT as well... snowHead

DE/AUS too. Mind you the younger guys and girls are a lot harder to differentiate which I attribute to consumption of video media as we'll as a more enlightened/less dogmatic approach to ski instruction.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry to post yet another video but as the chat has moved to national "styles" I think this technical comparison of different nations at the 2011 Interski by the Head Canadian trainer is absolutely spot on...

http://youtube.com/v/7rtzwqDeSGg&index=6&list=FL-Ewo9zRNqjXk6TVx-ANWFA

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 6-02-17 12:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Love that clip for the subtle slag off of the Japs, Italians and the Austrians.It would be interesting to know where BASI stacks up against the "looseness" of the French and Canadian styles shown there - I see that as critical for flexible adaptable all mountain skiing but also is the hardest to break people into with drills.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not very loose but hard to say as they didn't make the short list Wink
snow conditions
@Skimottaret. As far as I'm concerned, there is no need to apologize for posting a most interesting clip.

I have always been interested in the subtleties of different approaches....having lived through and experienced a lot of them. It has been fascinating seeing how things are changing, in order to make the most of ever-improving technology.

The one thing that I've learned, is there is certainly no,"one size fits all conditions". Since skiing is so much based on confidence, certainly up to the advanced level, finding an instructor who is on your wavelength, is crucial in having that "epiphany" at each milestone.
ski holidays
Here is another comparison of the 2015 Interski (the CSIA one was from 2011) by the Irish.

http://youtube.com/v/9FV7_UcBUPw
ski holidays
Quote:

there is certainly no,"one size fits all conditions".

Bang on the money! Anyone would be happy to ski any of the styles shown in the clips - feeling like you have aspire to a particular technique/style will lead to despondency. Most of the demonstrators have been skiing since birth, and the Austrians have special forceps to deliver babies wearing skis.For most people it's just not possible to reach these levels - just get a solid technique and build on it by focusing on enjoying what you are doing in that moment rather than focusing on what you are not
ski holidays
These videos are a joy, and an aspiration.

Old Fartbag wrote:
Since skiing is so much based on confidence, certainly up to the advanced level, finding an instructor who is on your wavelength, is crucial in having that "epiphany" at each milestone.

Yes definitely - a good instructor can tune into individual's needs, even if the technical challenges are common among students.

Mr Lederhosen wrote:
focusing on enjoying what you are doing in that moment rather than focusing on what you are not

Yes, and the latter just leads to tears, I've found!
snow conditions
I really enjoy those clips, great to develop your "eye" for seeing what's going on. However, I'm doubtful that comparing the skiing signatures of each countries demo team sheds much light on how your instructor might ski when you book a lesson in the ski school of your choice. How many, for example, ESF instructors ski like the French demo team members in those video clips? In my experience there is as great a difference of skiing signatures between senior examiners in BASI and IASI as there is between the demo teams as observed in those clips. All great skiers no doubt, but not identikit skiers as if they had been manufactured by their national association.
ski holidays
Short radius linked on steeps are not fully in my bag of tricks. I keep meaning to have a few lessons to strengthen this area.

Fridge bunnies tend to good a short radius stuff, as it can be perfected indoors. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Mr Lederhosen wrote:

Seems to me from the BASI video the grip after the fall line is developed from the momentum gained from engaging the edges, then pushing hard on the edges once you hit the fall line (almost like a hockey stop), it's effective for shaving off speed.

There is definitely no hockey stop in BASI short turns! The low ceiling is something I've also done as an "old skooler" who was taught to bob up and down Wink
latest report
Quote:

There is definitely no hockey stop in BASI short turns!

Sorry, didn'the mean to suggest it was an actual hockey stop, but have often seen BASI instructors use hocky's as a part of their drills for short radius. Seemed to work well for their clients.
A better drill is facing the fall line, arms stretched out, a glass of Steigl in each hand and do braquage. Person who spills most buys first round back in town Cool
ski holidays
For those who are like the comparison vids check out the projected productions videos, some of the best skiers from interski talking about their viewpoints on skiing.
http://youtube.com/v/czQpLTKD6vA
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy