Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there a ski resort that i can reach from Paris by a train ?

Poster: A snowHead
Is there a ski resort that i can reach from Paris by a train ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Tamirlik, lots of them, it depends how many changes of train you want to make and how far you wish to travel from the finishing station. St. Moritz, St Anton, Les Arcs are a few that have stations in the resort.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Arcs, La Plagne, Tignes, Val D'Isere, Courchevel, Meribel and Val Thorens are all within 40 minutes by bus from direct trains from Paris to Moutiers, Aime and Bourg St Maurice.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Tamirlik, Chamonix
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One member of our group - just 2 weeks ago - joined us in peisey vallandry (les arcs). Journey - Ashford Int to Paris - hopped across paris via underground (sorry cant remember exact names of stations) but he said it was fairly straightforward (and he is not the most well travelled when it comes to public transport) then train direct from paris to Landry which was about 10-15 drive from resort. Very easy for him as we had all his luggage tho!

Return journey was direct from Bourg to Ashford - taxi from chalet to bourg cost 45 euros.

hope that helps !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any resort in the Tarentaise served by Moutiers Salins or Bourg St Maurice or Aime and Landry.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dozens. simples
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All Swiss resorts that I can think of, can be reached by train - www.cff.ch
Villars in particular, you step out of the train onto the piste.

Easiest one in France is probably Les Arcs - Paris to Bourg St Maurice then the funicular to Arc 1600.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No changes, straight from Gare de Lyon, Oulx*, as in Sauze D'Oulx then ten mins up the hill, has to be best kept secret in the alps, we were only talking about it tonight.

A friend from here (Serre Che) is going up to Paris to watch England France for €160 for two!

*Paris Turin Milan Express
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Arcs.
Sauze d'Oulx.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here's what I found out: you have multiple options to get to the slopes by train, BUT there is a catch.

Paris is not so far away from the slopes that you need to take a full day to get there. On the other hand, Paris is not far enough so you can take a night train and get to the slopes early morning. This amounts to the following: if you go by train, you will catch the earliest possible fast train (TGV) to invariably arrive in the ski station mid-day already, with your bags and gear hanging around, and with little chance to do anything but a late afternoon set of ski runs. You will also have to deal with (very) expensive train tickets and transfers.

There's actually a night train, but having tried it in the past, I can tell you that it is extremely tiring given it runs like a slug, with multiple stops along the way, ongoing concerns about your gear being safe (that is, not stolen during the night), not that comfortable AND still quite expensive as well.

I think that the best bet (that I've also tried) is taking a TGV to Lyon or Grenoble or Geneva, and renting a car there to get to the ski resort. BUT given that France is hell for rentals (again very expensive AND limited mileage allowance), you are up to heavy costs yet again. By the way, getting from one of those cities to the slopes may also mean heavy traffic, complicated driving conditions (snow, ice) or both.

The only real positive experiences I've had running from Paris to the Alps have been by getting a small group of 3-4 people & a large car, splitting the costs and heading with all the gear you need; you depart very early (say, around 4am, add 6h for the trip, park next to the slopes, take the day skiing leaving only your regular clothes & personal items in the car's trunk, and get back end of the day to the car to check in the hotel for a well-deserved rest).

OK, my 0.02 worth - cheers & good luck!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Tamirlik, ...don't underestimate Switzerland by train from Paris.

It's simple - TGV from Paris to Martigny or Sierre.

Martigny for Verbier (post bus from station) Sion for Nendaz. Sierre for Crans Montana (bus or funicular to resort); Grimentz (post bus). Also can access Anzere, St Luc, Arolla and Brig for Zermatt and Saas Fee.

TGV from Paris to Lausanne is fast - around 5 hours on the fastest trains.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PeterSnowhead, I'd have to disagree with your comments about the overnight train, unless you're thinking of spending the night in a seat instead of a couchette. The overnight sleeper to Bourg allows dinner in Paris, a good night sleep on the train, and dumps you in comfort at the foot of Les Arc in time for a lazy breakfast before the first lifts open. Perfect.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm also somewhat surprised at your comments about French car hire. I've hired cars in Geneva (French side of the airport) and Nice, not infrequently, and never encountered limited mileage. Not particularly expensive, either, come to that. The French side of Geneva airport is generally cheaper than the Swiss side, sometimes by quite a lot.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonny Jones wrote:
@PeterSnowhead, I'd have to disagree with your comments about the overnight train, unless you're thinking of spending the night in a seat instead of a couchette. The overnight sleeper to Bourg allows dinner in Paris, a good night sleep on the train, and dumps you in comfort at the foot of Les Arc in time for a lazy breakfast before the first lifts open. Perfect.

At a cost!!! Very Happy
snow report
pam w wrote:
I'm also somewhat surprised at your comments about French car hire. I've hired cars in Geneva (French side of the airport) and Nice, not infrequently, and never encountered limited mileage. Not particularly expensive, either, come to that. The French side of Geneva airport is generally cheaper than the Swiss side, sometimes by quite a lot.

If unlimited mileage, only because they are matching what is being done in the Swiss side, otherwise they lose business; in France, rule is that you only get (very) limited miles with rentals.

And then compare any of those rates (Swiss, French) to those in Germany. Pure robbery.
snow report
pam w wrote:

It varies, from the websites of the main car hire firms in France:-

Keddy: Pour les locations de 1 à 4 jours, les kilomètres sont limités à 220 pour jour
Europcar: Les kilomètres sont limités à 250 kilomètres par jour pour les locations de 1 à 4 jours
Dollar: Les kilomètres sont limités pour les premiers 1 à 10 jours à 250 par jour.
Avis: no limit
Herts: illimité
Thrifty: illimité
Alamo: Les kilomètres sont limités à 250 kilomètres par jour
Enterprise: Les kilomètres sont limités pour les locations de 1 à 6 jours à 250 par jour
Sixt: illimités
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
pam w wrote:

It varies, from the websites of the main car hire firms in France:-

Keddy: Pour les locations de 1 à 4 jours, les kilomètres sont limités à 220 pour jour
Europcar: Les kilomètres sont limités à 250 kilomètres par jour pour les locations de 1 à 4 jours
Dollar: Les kilomètres sont limités pour les premiers 1 à 10 jours à 250 par jour.
Avis: no limit
Herts: illimité
Thrifty: illimité
Alamo: Les kilomètres sont limités à 250 kilomètres par jour
Enterprise: Les kilomètres sont limités pour les locations de 1 à 6 jours à 250 par jour
Sixt: illimités

Factor as well the rates - invariably high with ridiculous mile allowances, and exorbitant with unlimited miles. Skullie
ski holidays
I'm also confused by the 'France is hell for rentals' comment. We regularly rent from the French side at Geneva, always get a reasonable deal and even if there was a roughly 250km a day limit that's plenty to get to any of the ski resorts, leave the car for however many days we are skiing, and get back.

Using autoeurope.co.uk I've just compared a weeks rental from the Swiss side and French side of Geneva airport from this Saturday.
Cheapest prices.
Mini class: France £182. Switzerland £256
Economy class France £190. Switzerland £258
Compact class: France £218. Switzerland £284
Intermediate class: France £238. Switzerland £363
Large class: France £301. Switzerland £398

All of those French side rentals include unlimited mileage.
latest report
@swiftoid, ...Feb 2010...accidentally hired from the French side for a quick trip at short notice ... Shrugged and thought oh well ... Had car with summer tyres and arrived well after any supermarkets open so couldn't get chains. No motorway vignette so extra chf immediately - blowing any saving. Started snowing at 12 midnight on way up the hill. Car cr***ed out 2km below chalet on 2cms of fresh. Rubbish.
snow conditions
Overnight sleeper to Briancon from Paris was pretty cheap when I bought a ticket for my son.
latest report
Jonny Jones wrote:
I had a cracking nights sleep the night after my overnight train journey....due to the fact I got NON on the train.
snow report
posted this recently on my train trip to Les Contamines

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=123857

It's about 20 min by taxi or 30 mins by bus from the Paris train. St Gervais is even nearer. Megeve is another good option. Chamonix works well - just change onto the mountain railway from the mainline at St Gervais les bains
ski holidays
@valais2, I've hired loads of times from the French side and very, very easily managed to avoid driving on a Swiss motorway so no need for a vignette. And, anyway, a vignette costs what? About 40Euros? Even buying one I'd still be quids in according to the prices above.

Why didn't you order chains with your rental?
latest report
Some people just don't like train travel. It seems PeterSnowhead is one of them (or he's having fun with a wind-up).
I've been travelling to the alps by train for over 20 years - always my preferred method of travel.
As mentioned above, easy travel to many French and Swiss resorts.
Tarentaise particularly good.
There is also a wonderful train that goes direct from Paris to Visp and Brig, allowing easy access to Saas Fee and Zermat.

P.S. Welcome to Snowheads Tamirlik, snowHead
ski holidays
I love train travel. I just don't love the way things are setup in the way Paris<->Alps.

Anyone care to actually report experience of choosing a resort you can get to by leaving Paris on Friday / Saturday as early as possible and arriving in time for at least some early afternoon skiing, and returning late Sunday / Monday after a day spent at the slopes? All this while NOT using the sleeper trains, by the way.

Thanks!
snow report
I suppose you could get the 6:49 to Bourg st Maurice: which gets you in at 11:47 on the Saturday and return on the 19:07 on the Sunday getting into Paris just before midnight. This way you will be on the slopes of Les Arcs about 13:00 just catching the half day pass. Or get the 22:34 on the Friday night getting in at 6:54 on Saturday morning, though why you would choose this over the sleeper service is anyones guess.
ski holidays
@swiftoid, ...did order chains but when picked up car they didn't have any. They had plenty of Gallic shrugs, though. Er...avoiding Swiss motorways - when driving from Geneva to Sion - sure it can be done, but adds forever to the journey, and with two kids in the car, arriving in Geneva late at night, not likely to want that option...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Direct TGV from Paris to Valloire with bus running up the hill.
ski holidays
alti - dude wrote:
Direct TGV from Paris to Valloire with bus running up the hill.

Not quite up a hill - especially if you're cycling it - tis actually a fair old drive.

Should also add that Montgenevre has a bus that meets the Oulx train.

Paris to Oulx is under four hours - Paris / Lyon is 2hours then from Lyon to Chambery is fast then the train has to slow down in the Maurienne valley etc
ski holidays
@PeterSnowhead, ???

07:07 TGV to Geneva airport arriving 10:39 (change in Geneva)

Direct shared transfer to any of Chamonix Valley, PdS (FR), GM.

On slopes by at least 13:00 if not earlier
snow report
@alti - dude, not convinced there's a direct TGV to Valloire, not according to SBB anyway...
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@PeterSnowhead, ???

07:07 TGV to Geneva airport arriving 10:39 (change in Geneva)

Direct shared transfer to any of Chamonix Valley, PdS (FR), GM.

On slopes by at least 13:00 if not earlier

Thanks - actually will give this further thought! Cool
latest report
johnE wrote:
I suppose you could get the 6:49 to Bourg st Maurice: which gets you in at 11:47 on the Saturday and return on the 19:07 on the Sunday getting into Paris just before midnight. This way you will be on the slopes of Les Arcs about 13:00 just catching the half day pass. Or get the 22:34 on the Friday night getting in at 6:54 on Saturday morning, though why you would choose this over the sleeper service is anyones guess.

Thanks as well, though I've had mixed experience with Les Arcs (then again, it was late season to be fair).
ski holidays
Quote:

There is also a wonderful train that goes direct from Paris to Visp and Brig, allowing easy access to Saas Fee and Zermat.

Interesting! Do you know any more? Last time I looked at this (for a trip last November) getting to Visp by train from London involved many changes.
latest report
@PeterSnowhead,

Well my experience detailed in the thread I linked to above was very different to yours. I got loads of sleep in a 4 bed cabin for about £130 return. If you consider you don't need a transfer from an airport and save two nights accommodation in resort then it is rather cheap.
ski holidays
@kieranm, SBB doesn't think there are any direct services from Paris to Brig (and thus not Visp). Change in Basel.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@kieranm, SBB doesn't think there are any direct services from Paris to Brig (and thus not Visp). Change in Basel.

What I found as well, by the way!
latest report
jedster wrote:
@PeterSnowhead,

Well my experience detailed in the thread I linked to above was very different to yours. I got loads of sleep in a 4 bed cabin for about £130 return. If you consider you don't need a transfer from an airport and save two nights accommodation in resort then it is rather cheap.

Will reconsider. Still, I've never actually enjoyed sleeper night trains. Go figure, I actually *really* like night trains, just not going on sleeping compartments. And my liking comes mostly from when I was interrailing with a simple backpack and not a care in the world, not now when I also have to carry my ski gear and the need to manage transfers, check into an hotel upon arrival, hit the slopes on-time, etc...
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@alti - dude, not convinced there's a direct TGV to Valloire, not according to SBB anyway...
Paris-Modane?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy