Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Les Arcs 1950 Volvo XC90 snowchains

Poster: A snowHead
@DJL,

Quote:

If you have to stop because of other traffic you just start again whereas with FWD and uphill (even with winter tyres) you might not.

I think you'll find that 2wd on winters generally has better traction than 4wd on summers. I suppose that is what that autoexpress video shows.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks - re funicular ....good idea ..... Is there a free bus from 1650 to 1950 ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I think you'll find that 2wd on winters generally has better traction than 4wd on summers.

that was rather what I thought.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jedster, You're right. But I was not supporting 4WD as a cure all just that having recently changed from FWD with winter tyres to 4WD with winter tyres there is a difference and it is in just that marginal situation where with momentum you might keep going that the 4WD will save you. I tested it on the entrance to our garage (uphill, no decent run up) by stopping with all 4 wheels on the compacted snow. Just drove away normally. The old car would have slithered and spun wheels and maybe made it but more likely needed a bit of momentum.

Getting well off topic now but it is Snowheads after all.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jedster & @pam w, @DJL has already clarified that he was talking about a 4WD with winters over a FWD with winters, going up hill (ie with unweighted fronts).

Although with his quick segway to talking about the XC90 with summers in the second part of his post I do agree that it doesn't read that way.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 8-02-16 17:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Final question - is there any free parking near the funicular .... My friend has already paid e100 for a space in 1950 car park Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DJL, sorry cross posting whilst jumping to your defence.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DJL, sure, I have no doubt that 4WD on winters is better than 2WD on winters. If I'd ever had any problem getting anywhere with my basic 2WD car, winter tyres and chains(on those occasions when they are necessary) I might have entertained the notion of 4WD. But given that I only drive on-road the cost penalty just seems pointless.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, I only drive on road as well but sometimes its slippery and then it makes a real difference and avoids faffing with chains. Yes it costs a bit more but not very much. I'm talking about what is essentially a standard estate car rather than something for exploring the African bush.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PBJ wrote:
Final question - is there any free parking near the funicular .... My friend has already paid e100 for a space in 1950 car park Toofy Grin

No, not near the Funicular that I know of. Maybe ask on the Les Arcs thread they may have some suggestions...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PBJ wrote:

Leaving aside the cost of the funicular carpark could he imagine carrying the contents of the car up in one trip? Bearing in mind you'd have to carry it to the funicular, hang around the bus stop, carry it on and off the bus which probably won't have any luggage storage if it is full of daytime skiers and skis.

As far as I'm concerned the whole point of driving to the Alps is not having to carry all the gear and being able to empty the car into the lift in the apartment building.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DJL, when it comes to buying cars, I'm a skinflint. Mine cost under £12K new, occasional 7 seater, 5 years warranty AND a proper spare wheel (which I was glad of, the week before last in France, when I had a puncture and could just whip the spare on, rather than sit for hours helplessly waiting for a break down service).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

@jedster, You're right. But I was not supporting 4WD as a cure all just that having recently changed from FWD with winter tyres to 4WD with winter tyres there is a difference and it is in just that marginal situation where with momentum you might keep going that the 4WD will save you. I tested it on the entrance to our garage (uphill, no decent run up) by stopping with all 4 wheels on the compacted snow. Just drove away normally. The old car would have slithered and spun wheels and maybe made it but more likely needed a bit of momentum.

Sorry misunderstood. Well we bought a 4wd estate for similar reasons. Main reason was to reduce the likelihood/frequency of having to fit snow chains
Very Happy As @pam w, suggests its definitely a nice to have rather than necessary. Personally I think winter tyres are necessary in the Alps for most of the ski season.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowymum, I know .... But the convenient space at 1950 is no good if he can't get the car there !!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
@Gaza, The video would have been made even more interesting by adding front wheel drive car with £60 snow chains to the mix alongside the £750 winter tyres and £1500 all wheel drive.

Personally I would park in Bourg and get the funicular up. IIRC it is only about 10 euro a person one way

Indeed, and making breaking test whilst driving downhill .... Chains are good in getting grip and getting moving, but not so great in cornering and breaking
ski holidays
@PBJ, Hope your mate bought some winter tyres/chains in the end? snowHead snowHead
snow report
Quote:

breaking test

Breaking what?
snow report
Well, It was an interesting trip up to Belle Plagne, the snow was sticking not far from up the valley, but a combination of 4WD, winter tyres and sensible driving got us all the way to the top without a problem. I can recommend General Snow Grabbers after getting us all the way.

Plenty of people were stopping to to put chains on and snow socks also seemed popular. I don't think the snow was as bad as the original forecast, but it was enlightening.
ski holidays
Yes, the heavy snow came on Friday. Saturday was much lighter, fortunately.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy