Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most new model 2017 skis will be less than 85mm underfoot...

Poster: A snowHead
Interesting, and perhaps a sign that for piste skis wide skis really are a hindrance and not a help??

http://www.realskiers.com/NEWSLETTERS/sanity.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Finally........... The beyond insane stupidity might be waning.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Doesn't really mean anything other than that they haven't refreshed skinny ends of the range as much recently. Surely everyone knows if you are skiing piste exclusively you don't need a 90mm + ski.

Realskiers are a bit up their own back bottoms with their own belief in their technical skills.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Doesn't really mean anything other than that they haven't refreshed skinny ends of the range as much recently. Surely everyone knows if you are skiing piste exclusively you don't need a 90mm + ski. .

I think that's the issue though isn't it? Loads of piste punters on 90mm+ straightlining anything with very little skill!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My daily driver is a 90mm Nordida Steadfast - but I've taken to hanging around the weekends with the local race club, where everyone, but everyone looks in askance at my "wide" skis!!! I think they're great in that i can happily dive into anything with them (except crust, i hate crust, bloody knee killer), but I do agree that there are lots of folks who ski on way wider ski's than are warranted by the prevailing circumstances for skiing most european seasons, where for 85% of the skiing population (randomly made up statistic), 90% (another randomly made up statistic) of their time will be spent on piste. Great marketing by the ski companies over the last few years has everyone believing they will be dropping into gnarly pow, hucking cliffs etc etc, when the reality for anyone skiing say PdS around christmas was dodging decaying cowpats on a base of ice, muck and rocks. For which 110mm is overkill. But I digress.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
it all depends on conditions.

I spent the week before last on 77mm and was off piste about 80% of the time. The snow was very variable though.

On last years trips I was mostly on 115mm even on days that were meant to be on piste; but the snow was soft nearly everywhere so it wasn't an issue.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was idly watching some of the skiers in a local resort today. Not only has Wide entirely passed them by but even the carving ski revolution hasn't arrived yet. Someone had some nice Dynamix VR27s though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not in this house they won't be...........
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
95% of all the skis I get in for service are sub 80mm waist rail binding mounted piste skis.

95% of all the skis I sell are 88mm+ flat mounted skis, mostly with either framed/tech bindings & skins, and will be part of a multi ski quiver.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
Someone had some nice Dynamix VR27s though.

I'll see your VR27s and raise you a pair of (bizarrely very short) Rossi 4S. Spotted today in the mighty Courchevel... Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@offpisteskiing, Are you sure they were not the replica Rossi 4S skis that were made a few years ago, basically a modern carver ski with 4S graphics.

There are plenty of pairs of straight skis in the Espace Diamant, often used with rear entry boots. I have seen people wearing their '92 Olympics helper uniform too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
offpisteskiing wrote:
davidof wrote:
Someone had some nice Dynamix VR27s though.

I'll see your VR27s and raise you a pair of (bizarrely very short) Rossi 4S. Spotted today in the mighty Courchevel... Happy

How about these?

http://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbies/280001352.htm

for sale at Berck sur Mer! Of all places.

As the magazines said back in the day "A ski so far ahead of its time you'll still be using them in 2016!". How right they were.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ah, the good old 4S, great ski in its day!
Preferred the 4G myself.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rjs, most definitely the real deal.

Used to have a pair of 4S mounted with 747 Equipes... ah, those were the days etc etc
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
offpisteskiing wrote:
@rjs, most definitely the real deal.

Used to have a pair of 4S mounted with 747 Equipes... ah, those were the days etc etc

If you want some 747 equippes I'm about to put a pair on leconboin. The volvo of ski bindings.
snow conditions
I saw a guy last week on 203cm Volkl P9SL and Salomon rear entry equipes in black with yellow and orange highlights.
ski holidays
I still have my Salomon 8000e 3s from 1991, waxed and ready to go. I might have to take them out next week if the snow isn't great!
snow report
Quote:

Interesting, and perhaps a sign that for piste skis wide skis really are a hindrance and not a help??

surely simply a reflection that most skiers don't ski off piste?
snow conditions
PowderAdict wrote:
I saw a guy last week on 203cm Volkl P9SL and Salomon rear entry equipes in black with yellow and orange highlights.
Was he ripping it?
P9SL was still handmade back in the day. Great ski. I had a pair of those and a pair of P9RS. Probably wouldn't be able to ski them any more. Too much work.
latest report
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Not sure this is true. I've recently changed from Völkl Mantras at 90mm to RTM at 82mm. I can detect no difference in their off piste performance. This may be due to the fact that the RTMs are ( a bit ) rockered, but I suspect that in truth the shovel width plays a bigger role in making the ski perform in typical Euro pow than the width under foot.
Just my experience...
snow report
Steilhang wrote:
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Not sure this is true. I've recently changed from Völkl Mantras at 90mm to RTM at 82mm. I can detect no difference in their off piste performance. This may be due to the fact that the RTMs are ( a bit ) rockered, but I suspect that in truth the shovel width plays a bigger role in making the ski perform in typical Euro pow than the width under foot.
Just my experience...

I think this again depends on the general width again though - personally I really don't like super wide tips unless the snow is properly untracked. When skiing deep chop narrower tips slice through while fat tips tend to slam into the chunks of snow and tracks and buck you forward, which is why most fat skis have pretty heavily tapered tips.

Personally I think it'd be great if all skis were under 85mm again. I could just hoard my fatties, while the masses would stop trying to ski my powder NehNeh Or at least ski it slower so more stays untracked for me for longer Laughing
snow report
Quote:

but I suspect that in truth the shovel width plays a bigger role in making the ski perform in typical Euro pow than the width under foot.

I don't think big shovel to waist sidecut differences are ideal for off piste skis - they are a compromise to give float while retaining on-piste carving performance. Big sidecuts tend to make the skis more "hooky" and less quick to release at the end of a turn in deep snow. I'm not suggesting you cant ski powder on them just that it is a design compromise.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
....I don't think big shovel to waist sidecut differences are ideal for off piste skis - they are a compromise to give float while retaining on-piste carving performance. Big sidecuts tend to make the skis more "hooky" and less quick to release at the end of a turn in deep snow. I'm not suggesting you cant ski powder on them just that it is a design compromise.

+1. Tapered low profile rockered tips with longer sidecuts & min/zero camber is were it's at. Flat'ish tail for running length when skinning or just add tail rocker if you want 'em a bit looser/more playful etc. All very forgiving to ski. Pretty much all the decent makers have skis of this design in their line up.
latest report
I rented a very nice 72 Blizzard ski a few weeks ago in Serfaus. So nice that I bought them afterwards. Short radius turns. That's what I rediscovered and will be doing for the coming years. And they behaved very nicely in mixed conditions including a powder morning on the piste. No rocker whatsoever. Schweet.
snow report
"Personally I think it'd be great if all skis were under 85mm again. I could just hoard my fatties, while the masses would stop trying to ski my powder NehNeh Or at least ski it slower so more stays untracked for me for longer"

+1
ski holidays
@lmu2002, the orange ones? <sigh> I tried some of those. They were awesome. I seriously contemplating buying them but I just couldn't carry them home along with everything else I had. Now I can't find a place selling them online. I'm sad... Crying or Very sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy