Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Group,lessons - when to stop.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are off next weekend for another family ski trip - 7th week skiing for me, slightly more for the wife and son. When we have been away in Feb we have always done group lessons, we have had a coup,e of Easter trips where we have just gone and skied with nil lessons. We have not booked any lessons this time apart other than for our nephew who is first time skier. This was mainly a financial decision and the fact that we are all comfortable piste skiers who enjoy that. My question is when did fellow snowheads stop taking group lessons, solo lessons?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When you've got a few crystal globes or FWT belts in the khazi?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@alangibson73, I stopped after about 5 or 6 trips. I then didn't take another lesson for about 10 years - big mistake. I did group lessons on snowheads bashes for a few years then started booking private lessons with a small group of friends. I had 3 x 1:1 lessons when I was coming back from injury as I wanted it to be specific for me. I continue to take half day lessons for a few days at the start of every season, always with the same small group of friends.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hopefully after 7 weeks on the snow you should be a fairly competent skier.

I have been riding for about 18 years bus still have one lesson each time I go away. Carving, freestyle etc. Its always good to learn something new or to just keep learning and improving what you already do.

But after 7 years, unless you really enjoy the group thing, I would say is maybe a little extravagant.....but good for you with the intention to improve your riding.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think there is a "right" answer to this question. It depends entirely on your ambitions for your skiing. Stop lessons when you don't want any help to improve your skiing beyond what you do now.

My experience is similar to that of @holidayloverxx, stopped after about five weeks of (sometimes hopeless) group lessons, and then spent 10 years perfecting my bad habits until I reach duh point that I was frustrated that I could not ski the terrain or conditions that I wanted to ski. I returned to ski school when I met a British ski instructor who persuaded me it was a good idea, and have had lots of coaching since then. I now try to have one or two weeks of coaching each season, in a group of up to 8.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As a one (or two if lucky) week a year skier, my view is that lessons are pretty important if I want to stay on top of my bad habits and develop my (ancient - according to the kids) technique.
I gave up on the group lessons after one year when the 'advanced' group lesson was so tedious that I felt like a naughty school boy messing about at the back .. I perhaps should have gone for off-piste group that year but conditions weren't good but I do reckon that a couple of lessons in small group or 1:1 at the start of the week help, as and when funds allow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I suspect I keep doing group lessons for longer than I should. The last time I stopped was when the people who organised them told me they don't do group lessons for my level as most people at my level don't do group lessons!

On the other hand I've always enjoyed group lessons and have always got something out of them. Admittedly they do tend to be more about skiing with a group of similar ability skiers with a little instruction on the side rather than full on instruction on technique.

Where I can I still do group lessons if I'm not travelling with a group of people I know and usually top them off with a few private lessons to focus on technique. I do the private lessons jointly with my 15 year old son and that's good too.

I'm getting very tempted by the trip based group lessons organised by people like inside out skiing. It's looking like there's a whole new level of group lessons I can explore! Happy days.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We go into ski school from time to time and have always done so since we started skiing in our 20s. Ski School or ideally small group or private lessons will help to iron out technique issues which inevitably develop over time and which you dont notice yourself but which may over time and somewhat imperceptibly reduce or limit your enjoyment. ........ And yes group lessons can be great fun.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I'm getting very tempted by the trip based group lessons organised by people like inside out skiing.

Yes, highly recommended. I am lucky to ski more than a week a year. Have been skiing for many years. Last season was the first for a while that I had no lessons. This year I did 8 days lessons on the glacier in Tignes in October (with Inside Out skiing) which was very beneficial, and enjoyable (the wonderful weather just made it).

If I was forced to ski at half term I'd take lessons just to get lift priority. wink

I had two x 1.5 hours private lessons on cross-country skiing a week or so ago, in France. Enormously helpful, and enjoyable (and in French, so killed two birds with one stone....).

If I could only ski one week a year I'd probably try to have one private lesson during the week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the info I may try and have a private lesson this year to improve technique and see how we go from there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy