Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel 1850 substitute (ski resorts similar to it)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Been enjoying Courchevel1850 for the past 4 seasons 6 days a week a lot as a party of 6+1baby. As we stay at decent chalet, bang near the city centre with super easy access to the bubble cable cars, the location offers something for everyone in the party. Opportunity to hang out in the city centre, jump on bubble and get on Verdon or the very summit with a pedestrian pass (for the 2 that cant ski), and easy shopping options for groceries again few mins walk from the chalet.

But time has come for a search to replace/replicate this experience elsewhere as we want a change + cheaper alternative if possible.
Is there anywhere in Europe any one can suggest which has a similar set up. Great ski options both on and off piste and great city to enjoy life for non-skiers and the 2 being connected really well. + a decent/nice accomodation which isnt as expensive as Courchevel : )

Many thanks in advance for your tips

All the best
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Courchevel is hardly a city but that apart the all-round attractions of 1850 is why it is so very expensive. I'm not sure there is anywhere that quite delivers all of that and the places that come close (perhaps Verbier? Zermatt? maybe Val D'Isere?) are not really cheaper.

But trying to think of places that might get close a bit further down the cost scale I wonder about Cortina and Briancon. Funnily enough I have not skied either but those areas (Dolomites and Serre Chevalier) have lots of fans around here so someone will be able to comment. Oh and perhaps Megeve? Skiing is not of the same quality but otherwise would fit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i have skied all my life and havent found a more complete ski resort as Val D'isere. There is the huge leisure centre that has a gym swimming pool spa squash courts badminton etc. the skiing is fantastic with the espace killy. you can get fairly cheap accommodation on home and away or similar sites. there are some places to go that arent too expensive for beer and food etc. its far cheaper than verbier its also got a lot more going on and the skiing is infinitely better. the only resort i thought came close was probably merribel but you would be skiing the same areas as courchevel.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lech has it all.
Even more than Courchevel and Val d'Isere, Zermatt and Verbier.
But Lech is'nt cheap either
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mk28,

I've seen some hyperbole in my time but the idea that the skiing in Val D'Isere is "infinitely better" than Verbier takes some beating Very Happy
Personally I'd agree it is better but reasonable people could disagree on that. But "infinitely" better than one of the best ski areas in the Alps? Come on!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mk28,
Sounds like the leisure center in Val d'Isere is the main attraction.....? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mmm. I've just got back from Val d'Isere. For the 4th time. We keep going somewhere else and then going back there. I think the skiing is wonderful. It has the best lift accessed off-piste I've found and a good, convenient town center and my favorite café in the Roxy store. And the leisure centre is pretty special. I'd like to thing there is somewhere better because it keeps the thrill alive.

Madonna di Campiglio has a nice setting and Italy should be cheaper than France. And I hear St Anton has a nice centre. I never found it but I wasn't looking hard as the skiing is pretty fine. I do remember it having a very nice pool.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@negativeyardage, I agree that Val D'Isere is the best choice for a comparable experience to Courchevel 1850. Personally I like it better. I find it a soupcon less extorniately priced than 1850. The town is a little less pretentious and feels more like it was once a proper alpine village. The lift system is slightly more effective than 3 Valleys. The altitude is accurate, unlike the exaggerated 1850 at Courchevel, therefore snow conditions often hold better. The skiing in EK has always felt a little more edgy and exciting to me.
Verbier and St Anton both very good. I don't think extent and variety of skiing quite matches EK & 3V.
Chamonix with day trips to Megeve & Courmayeur also very enjoyable. Proper mountain town Cham. Gnarly conditions. Need transport as not conveniently linked. In right conditions an exciting option.

Having probably lit the blue fuse, I'll get me coat and retire to a safe distance!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@negativeyardage, strikes me that you need to clarify whether you want to "replicate" the 1850 experience, or "have a change". If it's really the former, you will probably be disappointed even in some of the terrific alternatives which have been suggested. Cortina, for example, is a great town (I'd say far, far, more interesting than Courchevel) BUT the skiing is nothing like as convenient or extensive.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have being trying to find somewhere I like more than Courchevel for the last 10 years.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Chamonix with day trips to Megeve & Courmayeur also very enjoyable. Proper mountain town Cham. Gnarly conditions. Need transport as not conveniently linked. In right conditions an exciting option.

I think Chamonix is a fantastic place but I'd not recommend it given the OPs criteria - the one real problem it has is being able to get mixed ability groups, and particularly non-skiers, together on the mountain during the day.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jedster,
Quote:

Chamonix is a fantastic place but I'd not recommend it given the OPs criteria - the one real problem it has is being able to get mixed ability groups, and particularly non-skiers, together on the mountain during the day

Agree with your views about Chamonix...but hadn't interpreted from OP that getting mixed ability skiers on slopes was a criterion. OP implied 4 adults are skiers (of undefined ability) and 2 non-skiers. Cham valley certainly needs much more work and planning than Courchevel for mixed ability skiers. But if skiers are similar ability and non-skiers want lots of other winter activities or shopping, then a Cham centre base could work.

Alternatively, Courchevel Moriond (1650) is less expensive than 1850. Same skiing available. Frequent easy free bus to 1850. Close to excellent new Aquamarine leisure/wellness/activity centre. Less pretentious!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Alternatively, Courchevel Moriond (1650) is less expensive than 1850. Same skiing available. Frequent easy free bus to 1850. Close to excellent new Aquamarine leisure/wellness/activity centre. Less pretentious!

Yes I really like 1650.

This is what I thought the OP was getting at
Quote:

jump on bubble and get on Verdon or the very summit with a pedestrian pass (for the 2 that cant ski)

So easy for the non-skiers to meet the skiers for lunch etc just a lot more of a mission in Chamonix (wander round the town then get up the GM for lunch?)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy