Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Damaged board when taken for a service

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone, this is a sort of repost as I put it in the wrong area before

I am Looking for advice.

I purchased a board of someone online Feb 2015, it was a new board still wrapped but the model was a 2012.
I love the board and have been using it at my local real snow indoor slope. Prob seen around 10 hours of snow total. I am going away for my first trip in March and wanted my board waxed and edged ready so I took it in to be serviced at the slope.
For there insurance purposes they took a detailed description of the board which included stating there were no scratches, dings, chips or marks with light general wear marks on the base. We both signed and agree and they took my board.

The board returned a week later and I instantly noticed a huge 15cm scratch across the top unhappy I told the staff instantly and on further inspection we found a chip in the nose and a fellable scratch in the base (looks like clamp marks). I was really unhappy as you can assume and I wanted it investigating, in the meantime I took my board to a 3rd party shop to assess the damage.
They have told me that the board can be scraped to base and re-maxed to smooth out the base scratch and wont need filling, the chip and scratch in the top can be sealed so water cant get in and that with this the ride will not be effected. However cosmetically all three marks will remain and if I choose to sell the board on it will be worth less.
I told this to the staff at the service and the lady didn't seem to think cosmetic was important, stating that I would have scratched it anyway on my holiday in a month. I know this is true but I feel that doesn't excuse the damage. They offered to repair the board and a couple of hours slope time (between £35 and £75 depending how I booked) as an apology but the reality is my board is now valued less and I have to look at these marks.

Am I being unreasonable being unhappy with this offer?
What would you be happy with?
Has anyone else had this happen?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't be happy with that, I'd want a new board or a significant discount on a new board, how often do you use the snowdome? Maybe ask for more hours?

I don't trust UK based servicers anymore, my first board stopped accepting wax after only a couple of uses and I am sure it was a bad service that led to this.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What? They've done it again??
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Defiantly going to be learning to wax myself from now on.

They have given single hour slots which I wont use as I tend to take there 4 hour late weekend deal (same price as single hour normal slots but 4x the length lol)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

What? They've done it again??

No I was just told the post was in the wrong area so moved it here.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Posted on the other thread, but:

I understand why you're pissed, but...

Doesn't sound like the damage will affect the board at all, and you'd almost certainly do similar in your first days riding it on the mountain. Especially the cosmetic stuff isn't worth worrying about - skis/boards are tools no jewels.

Being old and used it doesn't really have that much value anyway.

Money back for the service, free repair, and a couple of free hours on the dry slope (you can always keep it to use over the summer etc) sounds like a very fair response to me. It's sounds like you're hoping for a new board or money to the value of what you paid, which I don't think is fair.

Saying that, you may have a chance their insurance pays out if you really do want to push it. The lift staff at Stubai once managed to rip off some big chunks of topsheet from my skis - ugly and for sure affected re-sale price, but tbh I'm not precious about skis and frequently hit rocks etc, so I wasn't that bothered. I sent them a couple of photos hoping that I might get a meal/beer voucher to use in their restaurant, but to my surprise their insurance paid out the full price that I bought the skis for!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not expecting a new board. In the ideal world they could replace like for like but its just not possible. Even if they offered the price of its value before the damage (not its price new value) I doubt I would find a replacement in time for my holiday.

I'm leaning towards selling my board and replacing it (call me sad but I want the marks to be ones I made with memory's, maybe when I been at this a while it wont matter much but right now it does) I think if they offered the value that they are offering in slope time in a shop voucher that may be better for me that way I will cover the rest.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the problem is the board was worth more to me than the resale value
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's the worry they might do MORE damage during the "repair"...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They are not doing the repair of its getting done I'm taking it else were for it doing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Full refund and £50 in cold hard cash from them. Then forget about fixing the "damage" and enjoy the opportunity to smash a few rocks and stumps as it's no longer "my precious". Speaking as someone who coreshotted a new pair of skis first day out, best thing that could ever happen for my "flow" skiing on them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Speaking as someone who coreshotted a new pair of skis first day out, best thing that could ever happen for my "flow" skiing on them.

+1
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From what I've heard of Bulgarian lift queues the board will have plenty of other scratches within a matter of hours. Take what they offer and enjoy yourself, don't worry about a few odd scratches. Resale value is next to nothing anyway.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get a cheap iron and a windscreen de-icing scraper, buy a box of wax and an edging tool and do it yourself. Waxing a board/skiis isn't rocket science at all. Loosen or remove your bindings and make sure the iron isn't too hot (smoke=too hot).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dave of the Marmottes, +1
Give the shop hell before you go, because if you have a good holiday, you won't remember which scratch was theirs!
snow report
Quote:

Take what they offer and enjoy yourself, don't worry about a few odd scratches. Resale value is next to nothing anyway.

Wise words
snow report
Would I be happy? No, but I'd take the offer. Nicks and dings and scratches and gouges go with the territory - tools not jewels - I tore the rails out of my first snowboard on a stump, and I punched an edge in the first week out on its replacement which needed some pretty major surgery. Its the base that counts and they've offered to make good and put a cherry on top with some freebie slope-time, so take it, moan a bit, and if nothing else now you've skuzzed up your board a bit you won't have to get into a fistfight in the lift queue when some dozy twunt in nip-high salopettes runs his skis over it.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
some dozy twunt...

10/10 for innovative insults: both damning and immune to the swear filter. Very impressive Toofy Grin
snow report
I have declined the slope time as what they offered were 3 x 1 hour day slots and I wont use them so they are a worthless gesture.

To be honest I think I am angry at them.
-First, they damage my board a month before my holiday
-Second, even though there own paperwork confirms the board was as new except for minor base wear on arrival and on return it is damaged they are still insinuating it did not happen with them.
-Third there offer of comp is something of no value to both them or myself. They know I don't use 1 hour day passes.
-Lastly there attitude is that well you would have done it eventually so that makes it ok.

Your right I would eventually ding it my self its wear and tear but that's not the same.
If you had taken extra care of you your car and its pristine but then I scratch your car while cleaning it and said "oh well you would eventually scuff your paint. I will just put a spray on that stops it from rusting, you just top that up if it ever runs low, and here is 3 free van washes even though you only use a car.

Would you be happy with that? Because this is how I feel at the moment.
snow report
Brick through the window it is then Laughing
ski holidays
If you scratched my car while cleaning it, then I'd expect you to make it good, not buy me a new car - nor would I throw the car away just because it had a scratch on it, just to make a point. Are they trying to duck the blame? Offering to make good and the offer of free time (whether its worth something to you or not) seems to be tacit acceptance of fault, and they seem to be trying to help.

How bad is this topsheet damage? Got a photo?
snow report
They still have the board at the moment so I cant really get you any pics but I can say the scratch is visible when stood on the board but is only cosmetic. the chip is also visible but I was told once repaired would not be that noticeable when standing only if you bend closer. the base mark is very noticeable but base marks only bother me if they effect the ride and I was promised after repair this would not. My issue with damage that would make me sell the board is the chip. It needs sealing and then watching as the core is exposed. In the case of the car analogy the fix is like putting rust protection on it, the damage cant get worse if you maintain the rust spray but the damage is till there a real fix would be equivalent to re-spraying that part of the car.

Don't get me wrong I don't think a new board at there cost is right. That is not what I am wanting or expecting. If I choose to replace the board because of the chip that would be my choice and I would need to cover a chunk of that cost which I would have every intention of doing. But as the reason for the replacement is the outcome of there actions they should also assist with this.

I was going to ask for the cost of the fix plus the slope time to be given as a voucher in the shop so that it will give me about 50% towards the replacement cost and I will then cover the other 50%.
Do you think I am being fair?
snow conditions
No - you're being a bit of a princess about the whole thing. We get it - it's the first time you've had your own equipment but take the advice of people who've owned and trashed more ski and snowboard gear than you'll do in a lifetime that it really isn't a big deal. You should see what the gear of some of the pro freeriders and freestylers looks like up close. Glob of epoxy in the chip and everything performance wise is as good as new.
snow report
@Jess19

1) The shop clearly screwed up but as ever in these situations it's hard to nail them for it.
2) You are being a bit precious about your kit - it's there to be used and abused. It's not a ming vase.
3) Get some compensation that is of use to you but have reasonable expectations.
snow conditions
Quote:

No - you're being a bit of a princess about the whole thing

Never actually been called a princess before its new lol.
Its not a big deal to you I get that but it is to me and maybe that makes me a princess but then its my kit and that makes it mine to break not anyone else's. I have done many sports and felt the same about my kit for all of them and I guess this is no different.

I was not asking for more than they offered just in a different form, as the form they offered was of no use to me. If you can see a fault in asking for it in a method of use to me then please let me know or if you can suggest a better option then suggest that.

But I have decided princess or not about it the simple fact that kit gets damaged, and I am by no means stating otherwise, is irrelevant as I sure as hell don't pay for things for others to damage.
snow report
@Jess19, have you been in a lift queue on a mountain before? Your board is going to get scratched, by other people, and there's nothing you can do about it. I do get why you're unhappy about the store scratching your board, but really, it isn't important in the scheme of things/life of the board. The equivalent in cash obviously costs them more, it's not the same value to them as slope time at all. If you want the money to put towards a new board that you are going to buy from them then I would just ask them that - they might be able to do it.
latest report
OK each to their own but if you want opinion than it seems that most people are saying get over it - don't get rid of a perfectly good board because of a minor flaw even if in a perfect world it wouldn't have been created.

Admittedly I never quite understand people who can't tolerate the slightest scratch or scuff on their car either - it just seems to make them neurotic everytime they park in public. Where does it end for you though - will you be throwing away your jacket if a chairlift drops a spot of oil on it or you have a face slam and nosebleed a bit on it?
snow conditions
Quote:

The equivalent in cash obviously costs them more, it's not the same value to them as slope time at all. If you want the money to put towards a new board that you are going to buy from them then I would just ask them that - they might be able to do it.

Agreed and as such I didn't ask for cash I asked for a voucher in there partner shop (who they were paying to do the repair as this was being done by them).

Quote:

Admittedly I never quite understand people who can't tolerate the slightest scratch or scuff on their car either - it just seems to make them neurotic everytime they park in public. Where does it end for you though - will you be throwing away your jacket if a chairlift drops a spot of oil on it or you have a face slam and nosebleed a bit on it?

Its the chip that needs repair more than the cosmetic that is bothering me with regards to keeping the board.
But on the other points I admit that if I get un-removable stains I tend to replace the clothing (blood washes out if done correctly and quickly Blush )
But my car that was marked prior by me I most admit I don't care too much for more minor scuffs but my bike that is new and perfect I can guarantee you "I will find you and I will kill you" quote comes to mind Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jess19 wrote:
(blood washes out if done correctly and quickly Blush )

Yeah but it's gnarlier if you leave just the hint of a stain wink
ski holidays
I would be upset, but ultimately the board will get scratched and best for mental stress to accept their offer and move on.

I've never had much top sheet damage though I don't accept top sheet scratches are inevitable.

Quote:

Where does it end for you though - will you be throwing away your jacket if a chairlift drops a spot of oil on it or you have a face slam and nosebleed a bit on it?

When I was about 14 my mum bought me the most lovely snowboard kit ever - Oakley cream board pants and a green and cream jacket. On the first holiday oil dripped on the pants. I cried. She was like "well what did you THINK was going to happen to ski kit? It doesn't matter." Wise words.
ski holidays
@Jess19, I doubt the chip actually needs repairing either tbh. Skis and boards are designed to be chucked down ice and snow covered lumps of rock . they're pretty tough.

I've skied skis with several coreshots and chips literally 90% of the way around the total edges for several years without bothering to get them fixed, and noticed no material difference in how well they skied.
latest report
Quote:

Jess19 wrote:

(blood washes out if done correctly and quickly )

Yeah but it's gnarlier if you leave just the hint of a stain

Dude replace it lol
snow conditions
Quote:

@Jess19, I doubt the chip actually needs repairing either tbh. Skis and boards are designed to be chucked down ice and snow covered lumps of rock . they're pretty tough.

I've skied skis with several coreshots and chips literally 90% of the way around the total edges for several years without bothering to get them fixed, and noticed no material difference in how well they skied.

3rd party stated it needed repairing and now that I am speaking to the manager who actually looked at the damage (they really were not looking before) they have now agreed it does need a repair and offered it as a life time repair (so every so many months they will check it and top up the repair if needed) I most admit this made me feel notably better annoying its taken until now for them to start taking it seriously though. He also agreed the slope passes are not inline with my use (meaning not in the times I normally go due to child care etc) and are offering to alter them too.
It seems it took me getting the manager to get them to actually look at the situation

Its good to know that chips in the edge aint as bad as google can make you believe.
The truth is I am still newish to this and I have only ever been indoor with my own kit. This is the first trip with kit I purchased for it. Would have been nice to at least make it to the mountain before the damage though don't you think lol
latest report
Look at it this way - you'll look like a seasoned pro who's been riding for years if you've got some damage to your board - nothing worse than the "bright white trainers" effect when you first buy some new gear!

Just to check so I never use this place - it sounds like it was the rental shop at Cas who did the servicing, is that right?

You'll find that servicing in a ski resort is cheaper and better for the most part (granted, there are exception), so don't get stuff done in the UK as a rule.

If I were you, that chunk of cash you're thinking about spending on a new board, I'd put it towards another snowboarding holiday instead - there's no point in having gear that you can't ride! You can do a DIY weekend in Norway, flying from Manchester, with no time off work, for less than £200, that sounds well more exciting than pristine gear.
snow report
Haha season pro up until that moment I fall on my a55 Laughing
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
No - you're being a bit of a princess about the whole thing. We get it - it's the first time you've had your own equipment but take the advice of people who've owned and trashed more ski and snowboard gear than you'll do in a lifetime that it really isn't a big deal. You should see what the gear of some of the pro freeriders and freestylers looks like up close. Glob of epoxy in the chip and everything performance wise is as good as new.
I disagree: they need to put it right to a reasonable person's satisfaction. Try walking into that shop with a screwdriver and scratch one of their brand new boards, then offer to pay to get it repaired. I doubt they'd thank you.

I have not had this happen. Sure, boards are to be ridden, and sometimes I damage them when so doing. However that's my choice and my risk. No one else has that right, in a lift queue or elsewhere.

I'd listen to the shop's offers, but if you're not happy, you're not happy, and they can replace the board.

Professionals I've ridden with don't use retail gear and don't pay for it: that's irrelevant.

For there(sic) insurance purposes they took a detailed description of the board which included stating there were no scratches, dings, chips or marks with light general wear marks on the base. We both signed and agree and they took my board.
That's very odd. Were they planning to trash it in advance? Why not photograph it - do they not have a phone? If they have insurance, then now's the time for them to claim.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:

I have not had this happen. Sure, boards are to be ridden, and sometimes I damage them when so doing. However that's my choice and my risk. No one else has that right, in a lift queue or elsewhere.

So what do you do when you're riding resort and some less experienced skied gets tangled up leaving a chair and clips your tail? Start sueing? I'm just saying that a reasonable person =/= the most demanding standards in the world.
latest report
They take the boards condition as standard as part of there insurance policy. I assumed to protect both parties.
I have used the service before and it was fine but everytime we do the form.[/quote]
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
... So what do you do when you're riding resort and some less experienced skied gets tangled up leaving a chair and clips your tail?

No, that would be silly.

In taking money from someone in order to maintain a board you're accepting a certain responsibility for it. The situations are completely different, as I'm sure you'll realise if you think about it.
snow report
This thread needs pics!! All this depends on scale of damage. I'm definitely not precious about my kit, but hard to judge without seeing the damage. Tiny scratch to topsheet and a couple of mm chip = stop being a princess. Spotless board dropped in workshop, big chuck out of rail exposing core = a bit more than a free service.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy