Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmageddon 13th & 14th Feb 2016 :)

Poster: A snowHead
The corks will build over the next few hours.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Road conditions direct from Le Dauphiné
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You have to ask yourself whether the French see the jams as part of the fun. 12 kms jam before the Nangy tolls on the A40 heading back towards Geneva. Leaving early would have avoided that (though not if everyone did it of course!). I did notice a lot of people leaving on the Friday evenings at Christmas and New Year.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Weather has cleared out between Grenoble and Chambery, now sunny. Should ease the problems getting to resort.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blue sky day les 2 alps
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, sun shining up in Les Saisies, too. My niece and her family will be enjoying their first day on the slopes, with plenty of fresh snow. And travelling will be easier, though still busy. snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The sun has come out in Tignes as well, but it is very windy. Special equipment is no longer compulsory on the roads between Tigners and Bourg.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm snow coming again
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I'm sure I'm not alone and I DO feel sorry for all those people stuck in the traffic jams but I have to confess to a frisson of pleasure/excitement when I see how long the queues are. Does that make me a terrible person?

Guilty aswell m'lord Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been in my local ski shop twice today, once around 11:30 on a day when it should be rammed with people renting, and then just now, and still empty.

The guys are used to bad traffic on big transfer days but now even they are surprised at the lack of people, they are expecting to work late tonight!

And roads in resort are not that busy and neither are some of the big apartment parking areas, so must be a lot of people stuck en route. That said warm temps and roads rapidly clearing themselves.

Earlier brighter weather gone now looking like it might snow soon.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stopped snowing here about 12 and sun came out so I've just skied for 2 hours, it was very nice. Very windy now though and clouding up again.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And sort of on topic, along the lines of driving in the mountains and incidents.

A mate was due to be ski touring this week in Morocco with a US guide who lives there. Back in October he left his van and his off road motor cycle at their house, he flew out on Thursday to get the van and do some off road exploring, and this email just in from him.

For my arrival Kris' wife got one of the village drivers to move my van and he'd left it up a dead end track with no room to turn.

As I was v slowly reversing down about 150m the van was gathering too much speed so I stopped but the second time I hit some fresh spoil the brakes locked (remember how good ABS is on gravel and not much "hold" with rear wheel drive leading ) and I was in a reverse down hill skid . Somehow I stopped but with both RH wheels over the edge and in some v loose stuff.

It was nearly the van (with motorbike) and me down a 70m ravine. It was an Italian job moment as I got out!

The rescue operation was just a little hairier than that fateful airborne garage step stranding one New Years Day in Serre! But at least it didn't cost 100 euros.
The locals took it all in their stride.

Done 300 miles today - about 200 of those in the High Atlas - on roads normally impassable this time of year and I have to say I was a little more apprehensive than usual.

Hopefully the bike trip which starts tomorrow will be less eventful!

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That photo gives me a funny feeling in my tummy. Shocked Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
apart from the precarious situation of the van, it's a pretty stunning photo.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's definitely a guilty pleasure in following this thread. I tell my wife that I'm 'researching' for our family trip at Easter.

Best quote so far has to be from @jonathancarty. 800 teenagers on a cross-channel ferry at midnight. Oh, the humanity! Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

There's definitely a guilty pleasure in following this thread. I tell my wife that I'm 'researching' for our family trip at Easter

Laughing
latest report
I always rather meanly hope that one of those people stuck in a snowdrift at the side of the road is one of those who keep telling us that they've driven to the Alps every year for the last 6 years and never needed chains, as if other people are making an absurd fuss about nothing, pressing people to have chains, to practice putting them on, and not to leave it till the last minute, in the middle of the road.

Though I did that, back in January. Embarassed I was going up a modest hill, between my apartment and the main village, with my four good winter tyres which usually go up that hill without a fuss. But that day, they didn't. I had to put chains on. And there was a ski bus coming up the road, who shook his head at me.....

However in my defence, there was room for him to pass as I'd dropped back some distance to a place where I could pull in, it took me very few minutes to get the chains on, and there was nobody else on the road.
ski holidays
Really easy trip Calais to Les Menuires. D1504 clear and a lovely drive, hit standstill traffic at Chambery but Waze took us round it. Slow into Moutiers and a couple of stoppages up the hill but roads clear, no chains needed right up to 1850m. Snowing hard now though.
latest report
@jonathancarty, that's good. The snow was kind today, and let up for a few crucial hours. Have a great holiday. snowHead
ski holidays
My beer assistant is working the kronenbougs for me here in Alpe Dhuez, we stopped overnight once past Troyes then this morning set off again, few delays on the D43 for 20mins or so but no majors.
snow conditions
Just arrived in Puy St Vincent. Drive down fine, Col du Lautaret no problem. Thought everything going just dandy until final turn off up mountain to Puy where gendarmes were stopping cars without chains. As we are in subaru forester with snow tyres I'd assumed all would be fine (we've always been let through in the past) but they were having none of it. So back to Briancon , 140 euros for chains, and of course once we got back to Puy the gendarmes hsd gonw! Of course no problem getting up mountain without chains, snow v light and not lying! Eventually got here and appt management had overbooked parking so total chaos. Now time for wine.
conditions do look good for tomorrow though!
snow conditions
Quote:

we are in subaru forester with snow tyres I'd assumed all would be fine (we've always been let through in the past) but they were having none of it.

can't say you weren't warned, @philipb rolling eyes
ski holidays
@pam w, yes but we've been stopped before and always let through as have snow tyres. It's just stupid, snow tyres on a 4x4 are far better than chains on a 2 wheel drive - just jobsworth gendarmes making a point and then buggering off.
snow report
@philipb, if you didn't use them, take them back for a refund.
ski holidays
@maggi, yes might well do that
ski holidays
Edinborough to Chambéry rerouted to ... Turin, this afternoon on a chaotic day for CMB landings.

whoops missed it, och goin' round, aye bug in between those wee hills, maybe GVA... no LYS? no GRE, not even. Jings and crivens man it will have to be Turin!
snow report
We got into Les Arcs at 7:30am for breakfast yesterday and had an OK journey; the worst bit was Calais to the Paris area, which was slow and busy... Had a great first day on the slopes and it's snowed overnight, so another good day ahead!
latest report
@daveyladboy,

Paris ???

The best and quickest way to the Alps is on the A26 via Reims, not via Paris , you will think it quicker to go that way on your return .
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The best and quickest way to the Alps is on the A26 via Reims

+1
snow conditions
@davidof, That must have been a popular re-route Confused
snow report
We have a 4x4 but wouldn't dream of not carrying chains, even if we've never used them in 10 year plus of driving in all conditions.
latest report
@davidof, Are you ready for the '****** - the worst ski trip experience ever?' thread , *** insert tour operator here.
ski holidays
BergenBergen wrote:
@davidof, Are you ready for the '****** - the worst ski trip experience ever?' thread , *** insert tour operator here.

I'm waiting for it!

Plane in turin, coaches in Chambery!
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
BergenBergen wrote:

I'm waiting for it!

You've been here before... Very Happy
snow report
davidof wrote:
Edinborough to Chambéry rerouted to ... Turin, this afternoon on a chaotic day for CMB landings.

whoops missed it, och goin' round, aye bug in between those wee hills, maybe GVA... no LYS? no GRE, not even. Jings and crivens man it will have to be Turin!

Looks like a TGesque attempt to draw a cocknballs.
latest report
davidof wrote:
BergenBergen wrote:

I'm waiting for it!

Waiting for it, I am banking on it.

Something to read tonight whilst enjoying the bottle of whisky "Mother Valentine" got me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
After a bit googling I found this

"13 February 2016 - LS795 Edinburgh to Chambery

Jet2.com regrets to advise that due to adverse weather conditions in Chambery, the above flight has diverted to Turin. Customers will be provided with overnight accommodation in Turin and their onward journey will recommence on 14th February. Jet2.com apologises for any inconvenience caused. However, safety must always be our priority. This flight is estimated to depart Turin at 12:30 local time on 14 February 2016.
- See more at: http://www.jet2.com/status.aspx#sthash.ZMWorn6c.dpuf"
snow conditions
Touchdown!!

ski holidays
davidof - hope the hotel and supper in Turin were OK - not the best start but have a great holiday anyway.
latest report
it was schadenfreude, @FFIRMIN. He wasn't on it..... wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy