Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Purchase (All mountain)- Suggestions?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
Ive own a pair of Scott Crusades (2011 version I think, the white ones) in 178 cm length. Im 6 foot (182 cm) and weigh 11.5 stone. I love these skis but find in hard piste conditions i struggle for edge grip. When snow conditions are fresh, soft, slushy, I ski on them really really well. However I look like bambi when its hard piste conditions. I have the same problems in moguls but when the moguls are soft again Im good. I brought them as they seem to be a good mix for off piste and on piste and got great reviews. Love the skis so would keep them for certain conditions.

So now its been I while I want new skis, I am leaning towards a little bit shorter in length (170-175 cm) which can favour hard piste conditions a bit more more than the Crusades but still offer some performance off piste. I really like the look of the Blizzard Brahma from the reviews but worried Im a bit too light to make these work ... Ive read you would have to be over 12.5 stone to make these work well, or a very aggressive skier which I think I probably dont classify as. Any suggestions to something similar for a slightly lighter skier that offers both on and off piste performance?

Looking forward to your suggestions!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am female, 61kg, 5ft 5in tall and have tested the Brahmas in 173 length. I loved them. I thought they had excellent edge grip.
So...I'm not sure whether the suggestion that you need to be bigger and burlier to get the best out of them is really accurate. I would call myself a good skier, but by no means expert. The only reason I didn't buy them is that I couldn't justify the purchase (adding to a 3 ski quiver with a pair of 87mm underfoot skis already).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting. Maybe I will try and find a place where I can try these out. Do you think the Brahmas will handle off piste ok still?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
p.s. I read a review wrong of the brahma, it was talking about that weight of skier for the 180 cm version. So a shorter version should be fine for the lighter skier. Any other suggestions for me @Perty, ? Can you go into most shops and ask for a demo ski or is that not possible? The time I brought my Scotts I brought them without trying, thankfully I like them Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Perty, but you have some Nordica's as well, don't you? How do they compare?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@stef88, I've selling a Brahma 173cm with atomic Guardian bindings. Had about 5 weeks use on them if you're interested?
If you don't want the Guardians that's fine.
PM me for pictures etc
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dbeatski, interesting- may I ask why you are getting rid of them Shocked ? Makes me think maybe they arent as good as everyone says haha. Are they this years version?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, they're the 13-14 version, I was just looking get rid of some kit really before it builds up too much! Very Happy
I'm looking to consolidate/change to a 2 ski quiver and they don't really fit my plans.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stef88, Have a look at the new(ish) K2 Pinnacle 95's. Some good reviews around. Looked at a pair last week and they are light. Similar I think to Sin 7's.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stef88, have you looked at the Scott Reverse. A more user friendly version of your Crusades and Scott prices have been dropped this year so the quality for the money is now really difficult to overlook
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Faction Prodigy or Chapter 106 depending on how much you want them off piste oriented. Big enough for powder but with real play and energy and good edge grip even on hard pistes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Faction Prodigy or Chapter 106 depending on how much you want them off piste oriented. Big enough for powder but with real play and energy and good edge grip even on hard pistes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stef88, A good choice would be the Brahma's. For your weight you'd be fine on the 180's or shorter if you'd be more comfortable. I've tested these along with a number of Blizzard skis and decided to go with the Latigo's in 184. Reason being that the Blizzard flip-core and early rise front rocker combined with 2+ Titanium layers make the skis tortionally rock solid whilst allowing front end to flex easily into the turn with stiffer rear end to zap out of the turn. These skis ski much shorter than their length may imply. However, my mate (BASI 2) who weighs about 9 stone soaking wet could not work them in 180 even though he skis technically spot-on, and althought these skis are somewhat forgiving, they really do need some muscle to get the best out of them. The Brahmas are good on piste and have a great OP footprint/flex, the Latigos very playfull on piste, great cruiser and perfect edge to edge at all speeds. Both skis are very light, but very solid construction. And now very hard to get hold of in the UK.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am too in the middle of the selection process and so far I've tested (more than two days of skiing) three all mountain skis:
- Atomic Nomad BlackEye II - length 176 cm
- Atomic Nomad S Temper TI - length 181 cm
- Rossignoll Experience 88 - length 180 cm

I've tested:
- BlackEye on crud snow and on late on-piste bumps on which they performed very very well. Doing long and short carve turns, some bump riding... Very very good performance.
- Temper on piste after 20-30 cm overnight fresh snow and in some off-piste powder, they were OK but nothing special. I found them a little slow on turns and hard to control them in powder.
- Experience 88 on crud snow, off-piste in deep powder (30-40 cm) and on piste - fantastic skis. Performed very well in almost all of the conditions, I have however some problems to keeping them up in deep powder.

I must say that you should definitely check Experience.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy